CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-29-2006, 11:32 AM   #1
Michael Styer

Profile:  
Hi everyone,

Been doing CF 4-5 times per week for about 2 months now.

Lots of people talk about being sore after the WODs. I'm finding that even when I push as hard as I can, I don't get sore. For instance, on the 5x5 back squats the other day, I couldn't do all 5 reps on my 3rd set, so it definitely seems like I'm doing it at my maximum effort. But that day and the next, my legs and back were a little tired, but not at all sore.

It feels somehow like I'm not activating the muscles enough to cause soreness. Could that be the case? Or is there some way I should/could be pushing myself on those exercises that I'm not?

I've never done that kind of max effort lifting before, so I don't know what to expect, but I've definitely done more standard weights workouts (3 sets x 10 reps, eg) that left me sore for days. I'm interested in understanding the physiology here and the muscle development progression and the process of building fitness.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 06-29-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I would look at improvement in measurable quantities like 1 rep max lift, time on a benchmark workout, or number of reps of a certain exercise. To me these things are more important than being sore. In the past I have experience little muscle soreness or DOMS after absurd workouts and had a large ammount of soreness after more moderate workouts. I don't pretend to understand why.

(Message edited by nick_cummings on June 29, 2006)
Old 06-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Michael Styer

Profile:  
Thanks, Nick. That's what I'm looking at, and I'm seeing a lot of improvement, so I'm not so worried about whether I'm getting anywhere.

I guess I'm just curious about why some people report being sore after these workouts and I don't, and why before I discovered CF I used to feel sore after (say) 3x8 bicep curls, but I don't feel at all sore now after 5x5 back squats. I like to know how things work, and this seems a strange anomaly in how Crossfit builds muscle that I'd like to know more about. But I guess it's mostly academic interest rather than practical.

Thanks for your feedback in any case!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
if you want to reexperience DOMS just for old times sake - I recommend B2B Tabata squats -
Old 06-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Michael Styer

Profile:  
I'm still new at this... what does B2B mean?
Old 06-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
Mike Minium

Profile:
B2B = Bottom to Bottom

In this case, it means you'd do Tabata squats with the rest period being done at the bottom of the squat (at parallel or just below--not resting and letting the hamstrings off the hook).

Old 06-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
do something to failure then do a lot of negatives.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
Ross Hunt

Profile:
I have oly lifting practices up to 3 1/2 hours long, and I'm never sore. Even truly maximal 20 rep squats don't make my legs sore.

Soreness is a poor indicator of progress.

But if you want to feel the burn, rack a barbell on your back and perform horizontal jumps for distance... maybe sets of 50m there and 50 back to start with a minute or two in between. Be prepared to limp for up to a week. Really.

These probably have some profound training benefit, but mysteriously, every time I do them I usually wait six months or so before doing them again. :happy:
Old 06-30-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
I believe Ross is correct. Never use soreness as an indicator of progress.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:38 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Just keep plugging away, you will get sore. Jeremy's advise was very tongue in cheek, do not force negatives...this is a great way to spiral into rhabdo, then you will be real sore. The idea is to ramp up intensity over the course of months, yes months! Your doing fine.