CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
Ryan Scott

Profile:
Drink lots of water!

Well I just spent my Friday night in the ER, for what I thought was impending death. Bad pains in my stomach, groin, and back. Turns out that a week with lots for workouts and hot weather had me dehydrated, and I got my first kidney stone. While in the ER, they put 4L in me through an IV, and gave me some great painkillers. After I left the ER I drank another 2L. Just a reminder that with the longer workouts you really need to watch your water in/out.

Ryan.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
Nathan Repasky

Profile:
Re: Drink lots of water!

As a two time kidney transplant recipient, I can't resist reiterating this point. Water definitely is an essential part of everyday life. Please everyone stay hydrated.

This may offend some but I always check my urine when relieving myself as a simple (non-scientific) way to see my level of hydration and overall kidney function. I always check for urine output, color, odor, and if it's fizzles a lot(sign of protein) when "flushing my system".
Old 10-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
Austin Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Repasky View Post
As a two time kidney transplant recipient, I can't resist reiterating this point. Water definitely is an essential part of everyday life. Please everyone stay hydrated.

This may offend some but I always check my urine when relieving myself as a simple (non-scientific) way to see my level of hydration and overall kidney function. I always check for urine output, color, odor, and if it's fizzles a lot(sign of protein) when "flushing my system".
Not offensive at all. I know a light yellow color is good, but what else? And what are bad signs?
Old 10-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Travis Loest

Profile:

dark yellow to orange color is bad as well as really smelly urine
Old 10-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Nathan Repasky

Profile:

Well, years of experience have trained me to remember how much water I get throughout any given day. Which means that when I go to the bathroom I automatically know which 7-12 hour cycle I'm on with regards to how much water went into my body in those 7-12 hours prior. In other words I know how much urine should be coming out from what I put in.

Along with this, usually a light yellow color is the best and even clear is fine. The darker the color the more worried I get. If there happens to be blood, I would be heading to the hospital quickly. Odor has more to do with diet and could mean nothing with well functioning kidneys. I still however, monitor it because when my urine doesn't secrete an odor I have witnessed good bloodwork labs. This could just mean that my diet was good and therefore my kidney function was good, though.

Lastly, if my urine fizzles I know it means I am spilling some protein. That's not a problem unless my urine fizzles for more than a few seconds. If it does fizzle and there are lot of bubbles I know I'm spilling a lot of protein. This is a good indication that my kidney function is not good and my kidney is having a hard time processing things.

Let me also say this is personal experience (Life long struggle with the disease coupled with many doctors care) and not everybody who has what I would call symptoms of a kidney related problem would actually have any kidney problems.

So please don't start panicking if for instance your pee fizzles a lot. It might be nothing, you might want to look into it though.

Last edited by Nathan Repasky : 10-20-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:50 PM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

One thing to remember - if you drink water regularly throughout the day rather then gulping large quantities you will be hydrated. Guzzling a bunch of water does not hydrate as well as only a small portion is absorbed and the rest goes right through and forces the bladder to fill quickly.

So - drink water in small amounts a bunch of times rather then a bunch of water only a few times throughout the day.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
Richard Gonzalez

Profile:

Wow. This is some great information. I thought I had my hydration dialed in... guess not.

Thanks for the information!.

I've noticed that sometimes the veins in my thighs, hips, and calves protrude like crazy. Is this a sign of dehydration?
Old 10-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #8
Nathan Repasky

Profile:

Richard, from what I think I know about the subject, the answer to your question is yes and no. Yes, because when the body is depleted of fluids there is very little fluid retention no matter what outside influences and variables are at play (diet, activity level etc...) and major vascularity of "muscle groups" appears visually. That's the short answer form. I just looked up the explanation for this and it gets quite complicated to the point I'm not sure what the heck I'm even reading.

Anyways, the answer could also be no, you could be genetically predisposed to major vascularity; or, maybe, you eat a healthy diet and drink enough water and create an activity level that promotes a balanced electrolyte environment. (You limit sodium intake while keeping a 2:1 potassium to sodium ratio in your body. Ample water keeps the cycle going nicely.); or maybe it's a combination both.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
David Wallach

Profile:

Good info! Be extra careful of your 'under stress' hydration: ie, when your doing a long ride/run/WOD.

Try a little trick: weigh yourself before training, then after. You should weigh about .5-1% less at the end of your workout, no more. If you are much less: you arent hydrating enough. If you weigh MORE, then you should cut back on the hydration durring your training.

Good advice from George on the keep a steady hydration pace all day, but in 'the saddle' keep your dosing down to once every 10 or 15 minutes. Your natural trigger to hydrate is pulled by large swallows. If you 'sip sip sip' durring a long haul, you will have sloshing and pretty serious gastroint' distress. If you visualize your hydration as a sponge, you get the groove: a sponge absorbs better when it isnt 99% saturated, just as we utilize our hydration and fueling better when we are a little under.

Last edited by David Wallach : 10-21-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wallach View Post
Good advice from George on the keep a steady hydration pace all day, but in 'the saddle' keep your dosing down to once every 10 or 15 minutes. Your natural trigger to hydrate is pulled by large swallows. If you 'sip sip sip' durring a long haul, you will have sloshing and pretty serious gastroint' distress. If you visualize your hydration as a sponge, you get the groove: a sponge absorbs better when it isnt 99% saturated, just as we utilize our hydration and fueling better when we are a little under.
Excellent advice! I try to keep hydrating down to about that (every 10-15 min) during workouts. Amazingly enough - CrossFit workouts tend to be so short I find no need to hydrate during them at all!