CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #21
S. Tyler Bayles

Profile:
x-fit just makes sense. the functional fitness aspect is a key, and makes a well rounded athlete. doing body building exercises is a little boring and vain.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #22
Ron Fielder

Profile:
I like cool stuff and CF is cool!
I also like going against the grain and CF fits that also.
I like things that are simple and work, again CF fits the bill.
I always wanted something like this in my life, well, be careful what you ask for :puke0000:
But since I am here I like being an example and having success, I like that people see something of value in what I am doing even if they can't take the leap of faith that all of us have taken.
I work out with two wonderful women and today we had a third join us with committment and that is cool.
I also have come to appreciate how much I am learning by helping people learn things as simple as a squat or pullup.
But at the very start it was hard and I wanted to take the challenge!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #23
David Sailor

Profile:
I was bored with the same old lifting routine I had done for years, was actually on the verge of just calling it quits because I didn't have any focus for why I was at the gym or any goals other than a vague "be fit, be strong" kind of thought. I found CF in the Men's Journal, took about 2 mos of reading and kicking it around before starting. I remember going into the first few workouts fairly cavalier, "how hard can these be?" kind of thoughts until the WOD's quickly proved my current level of fitness was not where I thought it was. Nor was I remotely well rounded. I though I had a good strength base but HSPU crushed me. My endurance was severly tested even on the releatively short Fran.
I've been committed to CF for over a year now and rarely miss the WOD of the day. I love the variety, the direction we are given. I'm not smart enough to make my own workouts to provide what I need, I am smart enough to realize that the WOD's posted here make me a better all around athlete and fitter for life. I thrive on the measurability of the program. Yes, I'm curious what everyone else is doing but more importantly I want to know if I'm improving. These workouts and strength days are very measurable and give feedback on my progress. I am no less excited today than I was a year plus ago when I first started. I still look forward every evening to see what the next day's workout will be so I can plan my approach to it in order to try for a better time, more weight, etc. David
Old 06-12-2007, 11:15 PM   #24
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:
I first heard of crossfit about 2 years ago, maybe a little less, from a friend of mine that I'd gotten into MMA and exercising. He found it and told me about it. I'd just moved to Japan and dramatically ramped up my own MMA training, so it just didn't fit. I just had too much to do and was already training hard just to keep up and get ready for my first fights. Adopting a whole new exercise modality wasn't in the cards.

Now it's two years later and I'm looking to see what I can adapt into my training to make it more efficient and effective. I don't know if I'll ever do the 3 on/1 off WOD approach, but I'm happy to benefit from the wide range of interesting exercise routines, exercise demos and the eclectic approach to functional strength. It fits the compound exercise focus/strip away what isn't necessary/work hard but work efficiently approach I've done my best to follow over the years. The site and the board members seem generally accepting of people customizing the workout to fit them instead of demanding the reverse. I've encountered way too many folks that say essentially "my way or the highway" or who take "that doesn't fit what I need" as the rationalizations of a wimp. I'm peaking for my next fight, not training to impress naysayers!

As for my friend, I'm not sure if he is following crossfit or not. We don't get to talk very often now, so "What is your training program?" falls below catching up!
Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #25
Kristin Hoppe

Profile:
Someone on Fark mentioned it last year and when I read up on it, it fit what I wanted from fitness but had never found in any of the magazines. I didn't want to run a marathon or be a body builder, but I didn't know how to be fit other than to run really far or lift a lot of weights. And I got really bored doing that so I would yo-yo in and out of going to the gym, which didn't help me get fit at all. Then, the universe aligned, a light shone on my computer and I knew this was what I wanted to do.

Also, I like not having to think about programming, but at the same time there's always some skill to master and some weakness to shore up.

And it's just plain fun. In a painful, thank God that's over sort of way.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:08 AM   #26
Chris Honnon

Profile:
My typical long-winded response, sorry...

Nearly two months ago I weighed in at over 230# at 5'11". My 38" pants were getting snug and I was putting off the inevitable move to 40". I had developed a bad health list that included diverticulosis, hypoglycemia, gall stones, and other diet-related issues; all this with heart disease, diabetes, and colon cancer in my family history.

I went snowboarding on a Saturday in early April and could only make it down the mountain once; I was toast. Beaten, embarrassed, and downtrodden I dragged my into the gym that following Monday.

I started doing what I saw other's doing - muscle isolation on machines followed by walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes while reading a magazine. It wasn't CF but it was something and I was committed to doing it at least 21 times (yes there is significance to the number 21 :-P).

I stumbled onto Crossfit.com while "wasting time" at work. Long story short, I actually found the site because of the movie 300 and gymjones.com. Yes, I'm one of those "saw the movie" guys!

The first thing I did was hit the videos and my first video also was "Nasty Girls", lol. I mean, who could resist clicking on a video with that title?!?! I almost keeled over just watching it! I showed it to at least three other people here at work. I was instantly hooked and quickly burned through every video I could find on the site!

I figured that the people who could do the things in these videos knew something that I didn't. I started hitting the forums and reading discussions from people with what seemed like infinitely more experience than me. I decided that if I want what these people have than I need to do what these people do.

Since late April I have gone from having difficulty catching my breath walking up a flight of 13 stairs to being able to do a mile in 10:37 (almost met my goal of 10:00). I'm comfortably fitting into 36" pants (thank god I didn't throw any of those away). I have gone from 135 to 190 on my back squat and 495 to 545 on my CFT with much better form. I have more energy and patience for my children. I'm losing weight (now at 215#). I'm stronger than I have been in over 30 years. Most importantly, I am happy.

My good friend Tommy once told me "Chris, no matter what you're doing you're heading somewhere. It's up to you to decide if it's the somewhere you want to be heading. You already know what to do if it isn't". Thanks to CF and the people here I know where I am heading and I like it.

This is what attracts me to Crossfit.

Chris
Old 06-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #27
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Easy. I moved back to Wichita Falls after living in Dallas for 8 years. I went to my old gym to talk to Rip about starting back up with the weights. I had trained for a variety of sports and MA and figured I'd start my "old" program.

Instead, Rip told me to do something called Cindy but warned me to take it slow. I blew through six rounds in 3 minutes and told him it was easy. Two more minutes and I was gasping for air. Four more minutes and I was praying for death. I stayed on the floor for quite some time after the workout and decided that CF was for me.

A week later, after my triceps reattached and my quads stopped stinging, I was back in the gym and haven't looked back.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #28
Brian Yoak

Profile:
I started CrossFit because it answered all the questions I had been asking myself and others for the last 2 years.
Specifically, how could a 160lb football lineman push around my 250lb linemen like he was not there. I spoke with the Certified Athletic Trainer from the school with the 160lb lineman, and he said for their strength and conditioning, they flip tires, carry rocks, jump on, over, or under things....oldschool stuff he said.
I could see there was something to what they were doing, but did not know where to look.
I actually found CF by accident via CrossFit Philly. That was in early 07. I have loved it, my body fat has decreased over 5%, I have dropped 10lbs, and feel stronger than I have in years.
I love the variety and the fact that when I tell people about the workouts, they mouths hit the floor.
I also love how it brings back the competitive fire that was somewhat lost after collegiate baseball. I enjoy the physical and mental test of completing a daily WOD and getting after again the next day.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #29
Aaron Gaskill

Profile:
A buddy and I watched 300. After some reasearch he came across crossfit.com. I love this type of workout. I have wrestled for years and love the "oldschool" hittin, flippin, and jumpin!
Old 06-15-2007, 09:53 AM   #30
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Because I'm interested in maximizing my fitness within the time I have available to spend on it. I believe in getting the most for my money, time, effort, etc. and after reading pretty much the entire site - this is the best thing I've found for that so far.
Because my mom didn't raise me to be a status quo lady who says, 'Oh, women just can't do that!' She raised me to be an a$$-kicking chick in mind if not in body - and if I lived closer to her now, I'd get her into CrossFit with me! LOL
Because IT WORKS, because it's a great resource, because it attracts people that I like being around: intelligent, articulate, respectful, not shy of debate nor given to personal attacks, not avoiding of challenge of themselves or others, passionate about their pursuits.