CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
Sam Michaud

Profile:
I know that most of the lifting platform plans out there call for 3/4" stall mats but I can only find 1/2" mats locally (that are readily available). 3/4" mats are a special order and are more expensive.

My question is this: can I get away with 1/2" mats? Or does the extra 1/4" make that much of a difference in saving the equipment?

I've searched the board and, although this issue has been peripherally discussed before, I have seen no direct answer to this question. Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered and I just didn't find it.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 11-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
Sam,
I found stall mats 3/4" thick in 4'x6' or 5'x7' sheets at a local feed store. I live in Pleasant Hill Ca. I'm sure these are common in most large feed outfits. The 4x6 ones were $45.00 plus tax and the 5x7 ones were $70.00 plus tax. They are killer. I bought the 5x7 mats for my garage. I have not had any problems with damage to the floor or my bumpers and the sound is minimal.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
Sam Michaud

Profile:
Thanks for the response Chris.

So today I went down to a local distributor to buy a 3/4" stall mat and, when I told him that I intended to use it in my home gym in my basement, the sales rep talked me out of buying the mats saying that the smell is just too strong to use inside the house and warning me that I would be unhappy with it.

Any comments? Is this a problem with all stall mats? How hazardous are the chemicals/odours leeching out of these things?

Sam
Old 11-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Sam - I have my mats in my home gym, a 1,500 square foot garage with 13 foot ceilings. I have 16 or 18 mats out there of the 3/4 inch variety and in that environment I have never even noticed the smell. Through the summer I have done the workouts with one of the roll up doors open but the doors are closed more often than they are open and now that winter is upon us here in the Northwest they stay closed almost all the time. Still no smell.

I have dropped an 88 lb kettlebell on the mat and often drop 44 and 36 pound bells when I try to juggle them a la the H2H stuff. No problemns on 3/4 inch...1/2 inch might not take that. I'd go for the 3/4 inch for sure.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
Jeff Dale

Profile:
I've heard of others using them in the house the smell being too strong to keep them indoors, it's not noticable in a garage atmosphere.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
The smell is strong at first, but it goes away pretty quickly. Certainly within a couple of weeks. I can't believe that this guy would try to keep you from buying his product.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:31 AM   #7
Geoff Pitluck

Profile:
I talked to Scott at therubberman.com and was intending to order the 3/4" mats for my garage. He recommended the 1/2" mats, saying that the 3/4" mats have a very noticeable rubber smell and that alot of people call him to complain after they get them. He said when they make the 1/2" mats they put something in them to neutralize the rubber smell. He also said that the 1/2" would be fine for dropping rubber bumpers. My wife is sensitive to rubber smell (when I bought rubber bumpers last summer she made me leave them outside under the carport for a few weeks) so I went with 1/2". It's been so long since I juggled kb's in the backyard, I totally forgot how cool that felt. Thanks a lot, Eugene, now I'm bummed. heh heh Maybe I can call tomorrow to switch..
Old 11-05-2006, 05:34 AM   #8
Geoff Pitluck

Profile:
Come to think of it, I could always double-layer the 1/2"..Wow, 1" mats, KB juggling, here I come!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #9
Mike Minium

Profile:
I'm in the market for rubber mats, too.

I bought a couple from a grain & feed store in Pleasant Hill (probably the same place Chris went to) but need to get about 20 more.

Anyone have any experience with these guys and their premium rubber mats?

https://www.olympicsportsflooring.com/

Mike

Old 11-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Roger Smith

Profile:
For what ever reason, doubling the mats doesn't seem to be as good as a mat that is that thick to begin with. I can't explain why, by I had a 3/4 inch mat and two 3/8 on top one another and I really didn't think the 3/8's were as good. It could have been my imagination.