CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-17-2006, 11:15 AM   #11
David Wood

Profile:

It probably won't get much respect from the purists, but I have found these to be a great all-around CF shoe:

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?type=brand&brandid=8&brandcatid=44 &ge n=m&pcid=55097

I've seen it down into the mid-$40 range on sale.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #12
Mike Minium

Profile:
A few months back, Payless was selling a different Champion shoe for $10 off the normal price (normal price = $29.99). They're just some random track flat wannabes. They were a steal and I've been extremely pleased with them for most WODs (other than the super ME lifting efforts, as has already been noted in this thread).

They're light with thin, flat soles. They're suede, though, which is the only downside (I wish they were mesh). But not bad for $20!

http://www.payless.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?&TLC=Mens&SLC=MensAthletics&BL C=MensAthleticsSneakers&Width=Regular&ItemCode=532 35&LotNumber=048301&Type=Adult &Popularity=21&DescriptiveColor=Black

Mike

Old 07-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #13
Beau Bray

Profile:
Those champions look pretty cool. I found some Sketchers at payless that looked a little like minimalist running shoes, but I wasn't sure how tough they'd be.

With flat soled shoes like Chucks, is it bad for the arch of your foot? It doesn't look like they have that much arch support, or does that even matter? Would old school Vans be about the same as Chucks?

Personally I wear New Balance 606's "all terrain" Their great for hiking and most CF workouts, but because they have large padded heal, they make it hard to run correctly.

Anyone have a good link for a cheap "minimalist" running/all around shoe?
Old 07-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #14
Mike Minium

Profile:
Beau,

The Pose site has a nice selection of recommended shoes. Their top recommendation, the Puma H Street, has served me extremely well (plus the kids these days seem to dig 'em).

Here are their recommended shoes:

http://www.posetech.com/runningshoes/archives.html

Mike

Old 07-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #15
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Chris, I find that Chucks don't have enough heel for my liking. And zero arch support. They are a fine powerlifting shoe and rank high in the retro-cool factor, however. The shoes that Mike Minimium have better arch support, but again no heel. Fine for some, not most I'd suspect, at least not the O-lifts.

The shoes that Karl posted would work for O-lifting, but I'd hate to run in them.

The trick is to find a shoe that works moderately well for most everything - running, jumping, O-lifts, gymnastics, rowing, whatever. Like Crossfit. I hate changing shoes in the middle of a workout!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #16
Wes Peart

Profile:
I found that cheap dress shoes work great for lifting if u put a decent insole in them. I use the ones I got when I was in ROTC, these size 15 patent leather ones.. They look weird, but they have a stacked heel, with little padding, so they transfer power well. Put some skateboard grip tape on the leather forefoot and you are good to go.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #17
Yoon Sohn

Profile:
Hey Wes,
I think this guy would agree with you...
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/27374.jpg
Old 07-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #18
Wes Peart

Profile:
Hehe, old timers know best:wink: The shoes barely cost anything, and support well. You will get some weird looks while wearing them in a public place though :D I think Steve Justa likes them as well.