CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Chris Everts

Profile:
He's Not Afraid to Die! (road to XC and ROTC)

Little Bio for those interested. I'm a junior in high school, I'm in JROTC and plan on applying for a 4 year Army ROTC scholarship, and serving in the US Army. My goals in the Army are to attend Ranger school, and join either Ranger or SF units. My workouts are going to be modeled around APFT and regular S&C things. I run track and cross country at my school, and i command the JROTC Raider challenge team at my school. Raider challenge is similar to the Ranger challenge they've showed on TV but not even close to being as brutal. I hope to be maxing the PT test by next December while keeping a good level of strength, and be able to do ruck marches well.

I start my log today, May 26th. I

3 rounds of

5 tire flips (300-400lb tire)
30 hammer swings (10lb hammer)
10 burpees

30 dips sequenced as 10,6,5,5,4

25 reverse crunches
25 hanging leg lifts

I could go a little harder, and should aim for more core work.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Chris Everts

Profile:
Re: He's Not Afraid to Die! (road to XC and ROTC)

strength work today

bench press

135x5
145x5
155x3
160x1 (I'm such a *****, this isn't a 1 rep max, but its damn close. I'd prob hit 175 after that)
135x5x2
115x10

grip work

wrist curls
45x15
65x15x2

2-plate pinch grip hold
~25 seconds x2

core work

all work done as one continuous set. not done with zero rest, but just enough to be a little fresh for each set

25 crunches
15 swiss ball sit up
15 leg lifts from floor
ab wheel rollouts from knees x10
Old 05-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
Chris Everts

Profile:

got hurt badly yesterday and won't be able to do much exercise for a while. I was towing a three wheeler and timing was off and my friends were goofing off, and it flipped. my butt took the most impact, i was wearing a helmet, and i twisted my ankle really bad. I injured the same ankle not too long ago, too. I've got road rash all over my arms too.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Chris Everts

Profile:

well since the 3 wheeler accident I haven't been able to do much at all. The accident ****ed up my ankle, so I can't do anything with my legs that involves the ankle, which is practically anything. I also hurt my wrists pretty bad, cut em up and they just plain hurt, like I tried OHP-ing just the bar and it hurt pretty badly. As of a couple days ago I can do knuckle push ups and chin ups, though. I've been doing a couple sets of each over time.

I'm also losing weight, I'm down to 189. I think it's mainly diet though, because my lack of exercise has ****ed up my sleeping and eating schedule. I usually depend on working out to make me tired to fall asleep at an almost reasonable hour, but since that i haven't been sleeping much. I also can't eat as much, just not hungry. this sucks a lot, I don't want to imagine what would happen if I did something that fully incapacitated me for a longer period of time.

I can walk on the ankle now with a boot thing, and I should be good by 2-3 weeks if I keep babying it.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:47 AM   #5
Matthew Upright

Profile:

Hey Man,
could you post your stats height weight current PR's stuff like that so people can see your progress a little better. you stated your goals, but those are WAY in the future you dont even need to be thinking about Ranger stuff for about another 4 years. your grades and your extracurricular activities are more importnant at this point. Make sure you have a couple of really good references to write letters of recomendation for you, they will help you earn your scholarship. start talking to the ROO (recruiting operations officer) at the schools you are interested in going to as early as possible. if possible go and visit the schools and offer to take a PT test for them. I did a little bit of recruiting and anyone that passed the APFT was a head and shoulders above the competition.

Good luck and i look forward to seeing your progress
Matt
Old 06-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Chris Everts

Profile:

well ok, I can post some PR's and stats for starters.

age 17
height 6'2"
weight ~190-195

I have lost some strength since the accident, but not significantly. My latest PR's on weights are...

squat 205
bench press 195
deadlift 285
SOHP 115

Other than those lifts, I don't do much lifting, don't really do rows or other detailed weight training. I do basic strength movements and keep it simple. My highest score on the APFT was 261, and I know that if I get my push-ups up I will max it no problem.

push-ups 48
sit-ups 79
run time 13:24

During Track season I ran a ~12:50 2 mile, so if I seriously train I will definitely max it. I just need to quit being a ***** and do push ups.

Yesterday I did some bench press work, I could hold the bar to where the pressure wasn't on my wrist enough that it hurt. I pulled this off yesterday.

bench press
65x10
115x10
135x5x3

pull-ups
BWx8x2

chin ups
BWx8

and Today I went for a 6 mile bike ride. It was pretty nice, cross country starts the 29th.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Chris Everts

Profile:

Thank you so much for your advice Matthew, I really appreciate it. You're right, I need to focus on what's going on right now, so I'll work on my 5k run time, and overall fitness and strength.

Ryan's log helped me a lot for setting up a program, too bad I couldn't start it yet, huh? I think that, at least for a while, I will keep with his set up with the cross country added on. Once school starts I will focus more on Raider challenge and cross country.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
Chris Everts

Profile:

weights today

SOHP

95x8x3

30 dead hang pull -ups

Old 06-21-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Chris Everts

Profile:

6/19

weights again

close grip bench press

95x10
115x8x3

shrugs 12,12,10,10,8 don't remember the weight i used.

gonna try to start a routine tomorrow around my ankle injury. gonna try and do ryan's program thats set up like this.

M-strength day
T-GPP/conditioning
W-rest
T-strength
F-GPP/conditioning
S-stamina
S-rest

that isn't exactly how it is, but thats a baseline, and that's what I'mm going with for now. once cross country starts up next week I'll see if I can work the strength work around the running.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Chris Everts

Profile:

today

bench press

65x12
115x10
135x8
145x5
155x3
165x1
135x5

then me and my friend tyler did a little rolling just to break a sweat and get the blood flowing. was gonna walk down to the pull up bar, but my dog was following me, and she can't be going down there.