CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
Luke Lehman
Member Luke Lehman is offline
 
Luke Lehman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northfield  OH
Posts: 82
Almond quantity / frequency

Hey all. Just picked up some almonds last night. As of yesterday, I've started a paleo diet.

From looking at some Zone documents, it states that about 3 almonds = 1 block.

Should I only be eating 9-12 a day? I guessed based on old snacking habits (which could be really bad), I would eat 9-12 per handful - multiple times

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
Scott Donchak
Member Scott Donchak is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 203
Re: Almond quantity / frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Lehman View Post
Hey all. Just picked up some almonds last night. As of yesterday, I've started a paleo diet.

From looking at some Zone documents, it states that about 3 almonds = 1 block.

Should I only be eating 9-12 a day? I guessed based on old snacking habits (which could be really bad), I would eat 9-12 per handful - multiple times

Thanks!
That depends on your goals.

Assuming you're trying to lose fat/lean out, don't overdo the nuts. How many block a day are you allowed?
Trying to gain mass: eat away good sir.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
Scott Stevens
Member Scott Stevens is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Garden City  MI
Posts: 651
Re: Almond quantity / frequency

Something Robb Wolf pointed out in a recent podcast...

Have you ever eaten unshelled tree nuts (walnuts/almonds/etc) where you have to crack the shell, etc? It takes a lot more effort than opening the trader joes bag and shoveling them down. His point was that he sees people overdoing it on the treenuts. His concern is mostly in the Omega-6 content and lectins I think...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
Brian Bedell
Member Brian Bedell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lantana  FL
Posts: 2,870
Re: Almond quantity / frequency

Not really sure of your question, as the answer seems self-evident. 3 almonds is a fat block, how many fat blocks are you eating? Yea, it's 3 times that. Not sure what the conundrum is here.

The answer is eat a variety of good fats. Don't survive on almonds for the above reasons; easy to overdose on, poor omega6 v. omega3 balance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Joshua Boyd
Member Joshua Boyd is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmond  OK
Posts: 14
Re: Almond quantity / frequency

Don't know about zone. "The Paleo Diet" i believe says 4oz a day. Especially if your still trying to lose weight, you don't want to over snack on them.

Personally (for right now), I eat as much fruit and veggies and lean meats as I want and snack on nuts as i get hungry. Still better eating than i was, although, within the next two weeks I'm going to see if anyone at my box wants to do a 30 day paleo challenge with me - For me, i'm going to go as strict as I can. Right now, i still eat the occasional brown rice for dinner, or toast / egg sandwich in the morning.

The challenge is not for weight loss, but I want to primarily see what it does for my energy levels and performance. Granted I still have some BF to lose, so hoping thats a nice side effect.

After 30 days, I'll re-evaluate.

What's your goals Luke- how strict are you going to go with paleo, and did you find something that's paleo and zone combo? I haven't research zone, only paleo, which at a high level makes sense. Just wondering if i cut out all grains and some other stuff how much its going to effect my energy....

Last edited by Joshua Boyd : 08-17-2010 at 08:31 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
adam adkins
Member adam adkins is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington  KY
Posts: 761
Re: Almond quantity / frequency

Question: How many almonds should I eat?
Answer: As little as possible.

I'm not a big fan of nuts and seeds. For me, they go in the "for emergency use only" catagory. If I am on the road, some raw almonds are a great snack, especially when compared to all other normal road alternatives. If I have screwed up my nutrition at some other point in the day and actually find myself hungry in between meals, I will have some nuts or even a larabar. But I don't make a habit out of it and wouldn't recommend anyone make a habit out of it.

My advise to everyone that is looking for a good snack food is to figure out why you are snacking. If you are snacking because you are hungry figure out why you are hungry between feedings. If you are snacking because you are bored try to figure out something else to do. If you are snacking to get your 6 meals in a day to "ramp up" your metabolism do some research. If you are snacking to pack on some pounds almonds are an ok choice, but again, i wouldn't make them a regular part of your diet.

I don't really understand the mentality that many on here have of pounding nuts and nutbutters and a ton of fish oil. Why not just reduce the amount of n-6, which all nuts have a ton of?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Danielle Nicole
Member Danielle Nicole is offline
 
Danielle Nicole's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Millville  NJ
Posts: 14
Re: Almond quantity / frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Lehman View Post
Hey all. Just picked up some almonds last night. As of yesterday, I've started a paleo diet.

From looking at some Zone documents, it states that about 3 almonds = 1 block.

Should I only be eating 9-12 a day? I guessed based on old snacking habits (which could be really bad), I would eat 9-12 per handful - multiple times

Thanks!
I wouldn't eat any more than 10 a day.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Almond quantity / frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Question: How many almonds should I eat?
Answer: As little as possible.

I'm not a big fan of nuts and seeds. For me, they go in the "for emergency use only" catagory. If I am on the road, some raw almonds are a great snack, especially when compared to all other normal road alternatives. If I have screwed up my nutrition at some other point in the day and actually find myself hungry in between meals, I will have some nuts or even a larabar. But I don't make a habit out of it and wouldn't recommend anyone make a habit out of it.

My advise to everyone that is looking for a good snack food is to figure out why you are snacking. If you are snacking because you are hungry figure out why you are hungry between feedings. If you are snacking because you are bored try to figure out something else to do. If you are snacking to get your 6 meals in a day to "ramp up" your metabolism do some research. If you are snacking to pack on some pounds almonds are an ok choice, but again, i wouldn't make them a regular part of your diet.

I don't really understand the mentality that many on here have of pounding nuts and nutbutters and a ton of fish oil. Why not just reduce the amount of n-6, which all nuts have a ton of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Nicole View Post
I wouldn't eat any more than 10 a day.


Do either of you have reasons for being so anti-almond?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
adam adkins
Member adam adkins is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington  KY
Posts: 761
Re: Almond quantity / frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Do either of you have reasons for being so anti-almond?
I thought it was already stated. Almonds have an awful n-3:n-6 ratio. As I said, I don't see the reason to load up on n-6 (almonds) then supplement n-3 (fish oil). why not just eat a more natural balance?

Last edited by adam adkins : 08-17-2010 at 09:50 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Almond quantity / frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
I thought it was already stated. Almonds have an aweful n-3:n-6 ratio. As I said, I don't see the reason to load up on n-6 (almonds) then supplement n-3 (fish oil). why not just eat a more natural balance?
w-6's are essential fatty acids.

Fats are good for you. They provide calories, and they provide energy for endurance efforts.

w-6:w-3 ratio only becomes a problem when everything you eat becomes w-6, which unfortunately is the problem with the average Western diet.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sleep, naps, quantity, and intermittent fasting Jenna Dodge Nutrition 5 10-18-2008 12:08 PM
A Question about Quantity Phillip Bascom Nutrition 3 09-19-2008 05:16 AM
Almond milk Sarena Kopciel Nutrition 8 05-11-2007 06:01 AM
Sleep Quantity Affects Morning Testosterone Levels In Older Men Kevin McKay Injuries 0 04-03-2007 03:52 PM
Quantity: Cooked vs. Uncooked Aaron Kromer Nutrition 6 08-15-2005 01:30 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.