CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Almond quantity / frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
w-6:w-3 ratio only becomes a problem when everything you eat becomes w-6, which unfortunately is the problem with the average Western diet.
Including the average paleo diet, except for those willing to pay for grass-fed beef.

My objection to almonds is much simpler, though: they're boring. Why not throw in some pistachios and macadamia nuts every now and then? Avocados and coconut are yummy and almost as portable as nuts.

Pretty much every question about specific foods has the same answer: variety. Don't center your diet around a single food, and you won't have to worry about any bad things associated with that food.

Katherine
Old 08-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #12
Anthony Ricci

Profile:

+1 Katheryne on avacados and coconut -don't be afraid of the nuts -macadamias especially if worried about omega 6
Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Including the average paleo diet, except for those willing to pay for grass-fed beef.

My objection to almonds is much simpler, though: they're boring. Why not throw in some pistachios and macadamia nuts every now and then? Avocados and coconut are yummy and almost as portable as nuts.

Pretty much every question about specific foods has the same answer: variety. Don't center your diet around a single food, and you won't have to worry about any bad things associated with that food.

Katherine
I don't think the average paleo diet has as high a w-6:w-3 ratio as average Western diet.

Even if you're not eating grass-fed beef, you can still get w-3's from organic eggs, walnuts, flax, lots of different types of fish, and fish oil. And if you're eating paleo, you shouldn't be eating a lot of vegetable oils which are notorious for high w-6 content.

I can understand if you think almonds are boring. However I've been known to add them as a garnish to every meal...3x a day, for days in a row. Always good to have something crunchy with every meal.
Pistachios and macadamias are good, but they cost twice as much.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #14
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Pistachios and macadamias are good, but they cost twice as much.
*shrug* So do organic eggs.

Katherine
Old 08-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #15
Seth Robinson

Profile:

Just curious because I havent been able to find much info on this, but what is the 6:3 ratio of avocados and coconut like? I see them often recommended for fat sources, but through my limited research avocados had a high Omega 6:3 ratio.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #16
Spencer James

Profile:

There's two ways to answer this question -- one is caloric content, the other is omega 6: omega 3 ratio. If the former is all you care about, then eat fewer almonds. If the latter is all you care about, then make sure that just make sure that if you're upping your omega 6 intake (ie eating tons of almonds) significantly, then your omega 3 intake should increase in the same proportion. It's also worth noting that not all omega 3s are created equal -- the 3s from flax don't necessarily compete for the same metabolic pathways as the 6s that you're trying to out-compete by taking fish oil.