CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-25-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
Jeffrey Chu

Profile:  
I am sure there may be a more appropriate name for this hold, but in my former gymnastics career I was never taught or was ever introduced to this. However, this is a superb exercise. The exercise is similar to the regular planche on the rings (sort of like doing a push-up but without having your feet on the ground). However, rather than having your torso face the ground, you are inverting yourself so that your torso is facing up. I found that you do not have to do this on rings at all, but can do it on a simple pull up bar. You grasp the bars, raise your feet so that your body is upside down and slowly lower yourself keeping your body as straight as possible until it is parallel to the ground.

This takes an amazing degree of strength in your back, arms and of course, abdominals. Now, the challenge is to prevent your body from collapsing down. I practiced this by taking long strips of thera-band (the stuff physical therapists use). Using the thera-band, take each end of it in each hand creating a U. I placed my feet in the U and pushed out. This sort of acts as a counter-lever and helps keep your feet up while you are parallel to the ground. The thing to be careful is make sure your feet our in the band solidly or it else it will snap out of your feet and hit your face leaving more than a bruised ego.

Thera-band comes in different "strengths." I started with the black and gradually moved down to the lighter colors. While I am still unable to hold myself parallel to the ground for an extended period of time, I am able to hold for a few seconds. It is a great hold exercise and this is one of the best ways I have found to work toward it. Surprisingly, doing flags become quite easy after "perfecting" this.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
Guest2

Profile:

It's called a Front Lever
Old 12-25-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/
Old 12-25-2005, 11:02 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Heh, yeah, this would be a front, or back lever depending on which way you let your body lower. A "inverted planche" could be interpreted two ways. A reverse planche which is more of a shoulder flexibilty limited skill or a theoretical true "inverted planche" in which you'd be level with the ground pushing your hands on the floor/rings behind you. Also could be described as a level stretched Manna, or a high Victorian. In any case a true "inverted planche" has never been done.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:35 AM   #5
Coach

Profile:

For fast front lever development: on rings, pull to inverted hang and lower as slowly as you possibly can. At bottom, in hang, pull again back to inverted hang remaining as straight in the legs and hips as you can. Do not bend your arms going up or down. Repeat.

This will get you to the front lever much faster than monkeying with rubberbands.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:59 AM   #6
John Quigley

Profile:
Coach, can you suggest anything similar for getting to the planche? I'm working Coach Sommer's static holds and it's slow going.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
Coach

Profile:

John,

1. Standing, raise and lower dumbbells, with locked arms to overhead
2. Supine, raise and lower dumbbells, with locked arms to perpendicular
3. Lower from handstand on paralettes towards planche slowly, on failure, kick back to handstand, repeat

I have found the progression from eccentric, to static, to concentric motion is the key to developing incredible gymnastics strength.

You will be able to lower towards the planche with control before you can hold it, and you'll be able to hold the planche before you can pull-out. Work with that in mind.

I had a planche press to handstands on rings in the 11th grade when there were none in interational competition. I used dumbbells and a focused progression from eccentric to static to concentric to develop planche press, back lever pull to planche, inverted cross and pull-out, and cross and pull-out over about two years (72-74).
Old 12-26-2005, 07:47 AM   #8
John Quigley

Profile:
Thanks, Coach! Happy Holidays.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
John McCracken

Profile:

For anyone that has trouble opening the above Word Document, try the following:

1. Right click "save target as"
2. Add suffix ".doc" to end of file name
3. Save
4. Open
Attached Files
File Type: doc Some Related CrossFit Gymnastics from the Archives.doc (1.20 MB, 592 views)
Old 12-26-2005, 08:07 PM   #10
Kent Sewell

Profile:
john, awesome compilation! appreciate it.