CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
David Ryan Thomas

Profile:
Cleans

I have been doing SS for 7 weeks now. I maxed this afternoon to see how much I had gained. I was at 215, today I did 225 fairly easy, then missed 245 3 times before backing down to 235. I missed it twice then got it on my 3rd attempt. I had to try and fix my form in the beginning because of a kinda upright row motion. I think it looks really slow, any help would be really appreciated.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...powerclean.jpg

245 miss #1
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...cleanmiss1.jpg

245 miss #2
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...cleanmiss2.jpg

245 miss #3
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...cleanmiss3.jpg
Old 12-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
David Ryan Thomas

Profile:
Re: Cleans

235 miss #1 & #2
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rcleanmiss.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...powerclean.jpg
Old 12-04-2008, 02:14 AM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Certainly not as bad as it could have been - you're close on a few points but they could be polished up a little.

Starting position - arms straight down to the bar. Hips will be lower than in a standard deadlift. Keep this position as you come up - don't shoot the hips up prematurely.

Get rid of the early arm bend and get full extension/layback. Push through your heels consistently. You'll come up to triple extension naturally without having to actually shift your weight forward to your toes.

Most glaring problem here is that you are catching the bar entirely in your hands. Get your elbows forward and put the bar on your shoulders. You're not trying to press the weight here and you're only going to make your life miserable that way.

Shoulders forward and a little elevated, elbows forward, and the weight should rest squarely on your shoulders. Well, more like cylindrically. Unless you have a square barbell. Which would be really weird.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:20 AM   #4
Jamie Crichton

Profile:

Learn the rack position properly - worth doing front squats to reinforce this. It's an impressive amount of weight to haul up, but you will do yourself no favours by catching it like that.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
Chris Worrall

Profile:

I only really looked at the last video but you seem to be pulling the bar with your arms..

pausing during the pull you can see that your elbows go high and wide as you pull the bar upwards.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/Dr_Rick/clean.jpg

What you should to be doing, once you reach full extension, is punching your elbows through, under the bar and pulling yourself down and under it.

I found tall cleans useful when learning this.
with a lighter bar (empty?), from the hang position, stand tall, shoulders shrugged up to your ears then without pulling with your arms jump yourself under the bar and catch it in the rack position, elbows in front of you pushed up as high as you can
Old 12-04-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
James Withington

Profile:

One other thing worth noting which isn't specifically related to your technique, the jump up in weight was far too much. As you noted, the 225 lift was already a 10lb PB. Sticking another 20lb on the bar was way too optimistic. Going too heavy too soon is only likely to lead to a form breakdown, missed lifts, and knocked confidence. If you had gone straight to 235 without the 3 missed attempts at 245 I bet you would have nailed it first time, and then could have thought about maybe adding another 5lb to the bar.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:

Just to emphasize what has already been said, the first thing I noticed was that you aren't racking the bar on your shoulders. If you catch it in your hands, it's going to shift your CoG way to far forward to have any hope of catching that much weight. Drive your elbows around the bar until your upper arm is as parallel to the ground as you can get it and let the barbell rest on your deltoids.

Also, drive yourself under the bar a little more--you've still got some room to go down before it would be considered a full clean I think and it would help your catch greatly (this really coincides with driving your elbows around as they will both happen at the same time). Use your arms to pull yourself under the bar, not to pull the bar above you, if that makes sense

Edit to add: the hand catch is the reason you had to walk forward on the 235 video.

Last edited by Jeff Hendrix; 12-04-2008 at 11:49 AM..
Old 12-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
David Ryan Thomas

Profile:

OK, I understand what you guys are saying about "were I catch the bar". My triceps are kinda stiff and I have trouble pushing my elbows out, but I'll consciously work on that.

I need to keep my but down, and start more vertical. And try and keep it vertical on the way up, leaning back as I shrug???

Now I'm in full extension????

Then I jump under the bar, right?

I'm just trying to understand the lingo, so you guys can help me.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ryan Thomas View Post
OK, I understand what you guys are saying about "were I catch the bar". My triceps are kinda stiff and I have trouble pushing my elbows out, but I'll consciously work on that.

I need to keep my but down, and start more vertical. And try and keep it vertical on the way up, leaning back as I shrug???

Now I'm in full extension????

Then I jump under the bar, right?

I'm just trying to understand the lingo, so you guys can help me.
Getting your elbows up is going to make a huge improvement in this lift for you. You definitely need to get that down. I second doing some front squats, just so you can learn to feel the proper rack position.

"Full extension" means that your hips are completely open in relation to the angle between them and your femurs. You can shrug without being in full extension. But I think you have it, basically.