CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
Sarah Scholl

Profile:
oly lifting and hunger

I had my first real olympic lifting practice last night with Gary Valentine in CT- I was lifting for two hours..obviously resting in between..but we went through both lifts, and finished with some front squats, and drop snatches...I have never been so hungry in my entire life today! I cant stop eating! I usually have 11 blocks each day...I have had 9.5 and its only 3! Has anyone else experienced this? If I do eat more today, will I gain lean mass, or fat..to be honest..a lot of those lifters in there werent lean...but then again, there was an open box of donuts for "quick sugar"..dont even bother commenting on that.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: oly lifting and hunger

I'm really suprised with your background that you have these questions.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Sarah Scholl

Profile:

its always nice to have the input of others! I need justification for hunger this pronounced
Old 12-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Are you asking whether you will gain lean mass or fat if you eat more for one day?!

No, one day of eating will not have any noticeable effect on your body.

If you find that you wish to continue with olympic lifting on a regular basis, and take more of a lean towards that than the WODs then perhaps you will have to re-evaluate your nutrition plan.

11 blocks sounds a bit low to be honest anyway, aren't you quite tall?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Oly lifting and starting strength????!!!!

girl your going to have to eating everything... I mean everything that doesnt move and even the stuff that is moving.

Both programs are about caloric expenditures, and the more calories you have available the better the strength results. There is a reason why power lifters are big people.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
Sarah Scholl

Profile:

Hi Laura! I am not asking about one day! thats crazy..I am going to be doing a lot of oly lifting...making it my focus...so I am thinking ahead to the many days of hunger. I do 11 blocks with about 10 times the fat..Im not exaggerating...I have tried 13 blocks with 2x fat, and I feel better with less carbs, more fat.
I am 5'8''...performance is going up, so I think it is ideal for me.
I regret asking this question now because I think the only way to answer it, is to listen to what my body need and see what happens. everyone is different.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
Sarah Scholl

Profile:

Thank you Frank! I will keep you posted..
Old 12-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
Laura Kurth

Profile:

well you can do less carbs and still eat more protein than 11 blocks. I think you will be needing more protein for all that lifting.

you could just ditch the zone per se and eat as much meat & fat & veg as you wanted....
Old 12-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Jamie Crichton

Profile:

Robb Wolf reckons that the zone may be too many carbs for some people. I've experimented with swapping out carb blocks for fat with some success.

Generally though I think weightlifting nutrition recommends much higher protein intakes than the zone prescription. I'm like you, I feel better on few carbs but I think that the zone protein rx is a bit low, particularly if you're reducing carbs.

I'm currently experimenting with 22P 11C 66F, at 5'10 170lbs. It is nice to not feel hungry all the time! If I've done an intense metcon I will have 1 or 2 extra carbs in my PWO meal to replenish glycogen, but if I've just been weightlifting I won't bother unless it was particularly high volume.

If you're going to be focusing on weightlifting, have some more protein and fat. The zone isn't the be-all and end-all of macronutrient ratios. I regard it as a useful tool for measuring and varying intake.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
Ian Haya

Profile:

Here's an interview by Jon Gilson of Again Faster with Greg Everett of Performance Menu/Catalyst Athletics.

http://www.againfaster.com/articles/...athletics.html (images safe, some choice language in text)

Talks about nutrition about 3/4 the way down. Overall, a good read. Basically, Paleo sources, more protein, more fat. Watch your carbs to moderate your weight.