CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-13-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Despite my disagreements with his style of training or his sometimes narcisistic emphasis on bodybuilding concepts (i.e. chicks dig traps), I know a good quote when I see one. In one of his latest entries, he wrote something that the idea rung so true to me I thought I should paste it here.

"I have worked out for so long that I can look at a barbell and make muscle."
Old 12-14-2005, 01:30 AM   #2
scott satterlee

Profile:  
Wouldn't that be nice, "If it was easy everyone would be doing it"
Old 12-14-2005, 04:08 PM   #3
Ian Holmes

Profile:
I love it Alex. Though one could get into a rather interesting debate over the mental involvement that is needed by any elite athlete...

Oh and by the way narcisistic or not...I still think he is right. Chicks do dig traps *grin*, though far more importantly, it is the back in general that is key... lats like wings my friend

(Message edited by jowchoo on December 14, 2005)
Old 12-15-2005, 09:51 PM   #4
Butch White

Profile:

Ian, I wish I had your free time because you've posted over 311 messages since October of 2005 and seem to have become an expert in the CF methodology in less than 90 days. (I've been practicing CrossFit regularly since 10/04 and have yet to hit 100 messages.)

PERFORMANCE is what counts, not just what the "chicks" dig. I'll be proud to stand beside a pudgy balls-out ATHLETE that I know and trust over a "looks good from behind body-builder (traps or not)" any f-ing any day of the week. PERFORMANCE is more important than appearance.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:42 PM   #5
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Well, Butch, to you! (It just so happens that it's to me also but you can't expect everyone to follow suit-even here!)

I also value form and believe that 90% of it comes by chasing down performance. The resulting form is the "type" of form I appreciate too..Performance-oriented form. Still many people may tell you that they'd love to have a huge chest, (even here) just for the heck of it!:happy:

When a friend commented on "exercises whose results you never see" I answered that you do see it, just not in the places he's used to. I find it easier at times to tell people I like having cool-looking calves than just going through the whole philosophy...Unless there's a person who has the qualities that would make CF appealing to him. :happy:
Old 12-16-2005, 03:03 AM   #6
Paul Symes

Profile:
I don't compete in any sports so performance per se isn't the direct goal for me. I just like the feeling of being healthy and fit and I also like to look good; what's wrong with that? I do believe it's true that if you chase performance you get everything else thrown in anyway so I train for performance, it's a win win situation.

If you're not training for a specific sport then training for strength is no more 'worthy' than training for appearance. We live in a world full of shallow people. Looking healthy will get you a long way in life (a mate, a job, more friends); where will being able to deadlift 600Ibs get you? Tragic isn't it?

I really like Art Devany's site but I do get the impression that if he was chocolate he'd eat himself.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:51 AM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Butch, play nice . . .:uhoh:

Paul . . . why did you have to write that? Now my monitor has coffee all over it and I can't stop laughing . . .:lol:
Old 12-16-2005, 08:38 AM   #8
John Walsh

Profile:
Art DeVany is not a narcissist. He just like himself… a lot.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:41 AM   #9
Jesse Woody

Profile:
"I really like Art Devany's site but I do get the impression that if he was chocolate he'd eat himself."

That is perhaps the best observation I've seen, and I second the coffee on the computer comment...now I have to buy a new keyboard!...
Old 12-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #10
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
"I really like Art Devany's site but I do get the impression that if he was chocolate he'd eat himself. "

Spit the water back into the bottle here...

What's the matter with us anyway...Do we ALL have to be drinking something while reading the boards?