CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
matthew maclaren lawson

Profile:
training a war vet friend

I have been cross fitting for a few months now and am absolutely hung on it. A bad day on a WOD is still ten times better than a good day doing a body building type workout. anyway on to my question.

I go to a small mountain school and am probably the most qualified person around to be training my friend who lost his left leg above the knee in Iraq a few years ago. He suffers from your average college experience in that he has only worked out a few times sense he returned from the hospital. Given his obvious handicap and how it will eliminate certain exercises from my toolbox does anyone have any experience based ideas on how he should be trained? Any references on good full body movements he can do?

He does have a "running leg" but i believe for most of the workouts we do that don't include running the prosthetic may as well be off.

Any and all advice will be appreciated. I know CF's love for our vets and as i am unable to join i want to do anything and everything i can to help those that have and those that will.

Thank you all in advance.
-Matt
Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
Grant Anderson

Profile:
Re: training a war vet friend

I would think that he can do one legged versions of most WOD, ie substitute pistols for squats, one-legged deadlifts. Depending on his current level of strength, he may have to work a bit with assisted or limited ROM pistols until he can rep them. Greasing the groove works really well with pistols, so he should start doing that.
I don't know exactly how the running leg thing works, but it might be good to have him try some lifts with that on if it will work the left leg at all. Probably working the left hips as much as possible will keep from having bad imbalances in the pelvic area. Again, I don't know if that is even possible, but it seems like it might be a good idea.

And of of course, lots of pullups!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
matthew maclaren lawson

Profile:

that is sort of the trick i have been trying to get my head around. Working the left leg as far as the primary leg muscles is pretty much out of the question as i believe both the hamstring and quad are wrapped around "the stub". his "C-Leg" has a knee joint but no ankle joint so he has about 20% ROM on squat type things. One legged deads are a possibility but the prosthetic only weighs about 10 lbs so heavier loads would probably be tough to counterbalance. Pull ups are gonna be huge.

Thanks for the post friend.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

Does he have access to a pool?

I had a friend who had lost a leg in a car accident and he went from a great runner, to a phenomenal swimmer. Awesome sub for running in that situation.

If the right leg is in good shape, 1 legged squats are great (take the prosthetic off or work a way to put it out in front as he does the squat). My buddy also lost the lower half of his left leg, he used to put a weight around a strap and sit in a chair and lift his stump with the weight on it. Not sure if your friend has the ability to do that.

For a real challenge you can do what my friend would do, 1 legged hops up flights of stairs, then back down.

Another option if he can afford it, has access is to it, is to get a running prosthetic for working out.

I found this article that has pictures to look at different types of athletic prosthetics (w/f safe): http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/print/2189

There are a lot things he can do, 3,2,1..go!

Last edited by George Mounce; 08-27-2007 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Added link.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Note that if you do pistols, it definitely won't be a 1-for-1 sub. They do however, work the entire leg, and could probably give him all the strength he needs in that leg. Regular, weighted, jumping, broad jumping, and maybe even overhead weighted with a dumbbell in one hand (using the other arm for balance).

Somewhere around here, I saw pictures posted of an amputee bodybuilder... It was amazing how much different the before (overweight) and after pictures looked.