CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-29-2008, 01:22 AM   #11
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Log

11/24/08 - 11/29/08

Just a terrible handful of days for training. Not much time, when I did have time I've been feeling like absolute crap (don't know what's up, just systems failure on multiple fronts), and then home for Thanksgiving. Hit the gym on the 26th for a full workout, did some sprints and went inside to lift, and it turned out they were closing for holiday hours early. ****ed as hell. Did a light partial Cindy on the 28th just to stay mobile but otherwise have been a plant.

May need to try and make sure my sprinting gets done earlier on sprint days, as running hard in the cold night air is giving bad chest pains. Will try inhaler pre next time.

Didn't bring creatine so have been off that as well.

Scored the clips dad took from the Halloween gymnastics meet. No floor, guess he missed that. Watching the two bombs on the pbars is super annoying, but they do look wide just like I thought. http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/cro...lloween_08.mov
Old 11-29-2008, 02:43 AM   #12
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Nice looking muscle-up.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #13
David Schneider

Profile:

Bout' time you started a log around these parts... Good work buddy, keep it up
Old 11-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #14
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Thanks guys. Wish things were more impressive-looking lately. Transitional period -- new quarter, new program, new job.

It was a little slow for my tastes, Derek; I try to minimize the stall in the transition. Think it's because I brought my legs up a bit soon.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #15
Brandon Oto

Profile:

12/1/08

Finally got in a full workout. Felt great.

Went early in the day so it was nice out and I could use the outside better.

SKILLS
medium

Forward and backward rolls
Handstands
Cartwheels
Roundoffs

All on grass. Nice to feel that again after using the sprung floor so much, although of course it hurts rather more. Left-side cartwheels weren't working right but strongside felt good. Handstands rusty.

SPRINTS
light

Drills
1xflying 100 (probably more like 85)
1x100 max (same)
1x50
1x25

Still untimed, since the school track is marked weird and curved anyway. No big deal.

STRENGTH
light

BS
bar
95x5
135x5
185x5
205x5
215x5 9.48
215x5 9.8
215x5 9.94
Form was decent though a bit variable; a little knee diving and some GMing. One or two reps toward the end went left. Still relatively light, but getting back up there. Near-limit weight for today. Legs felt like putty.

SP
bar
95x4
115x5 9.75
115x5 f5 9.8 (failed at bridge of nose)
105x5 9.8 barely made last
Not so bad.

Rows
95x5
135x5 9.0
155x5 9.5
165x5 f5 9.6 (failed just barely short of chest)
Palms in. Felt pretty decent. Need to nail down the form on these, been ages since I did 'em and even then not much. Might want my butt less high.

STRETCHING

Stick dislocates
Pike, butterfly, straddle, arms back, cat, drop lunges, rear-knee down splits, frog straddle, more pike, toes-up pike, more butterfly, cobra, bridge.
Nice and relaxed, took my time. Felt good. Legs felt fine by now.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #16
Brandon Oto

Profile:

12/2/08

Managed to slip in a workout between classes on my marathon day. Work tomorrow so can't go late.

Fairly tight but not terribly sore. The usual squat stuff, plus some lower back and mid-upper back (rows undoubtedly).

SKILLS
None.

WEIGHTLIFTING
medium

Had to jump right in with no real warmup, as some guy was already using the platform and I had to work in. First fairly legit weightlifter I've seen there -- he was on 185 by the time I got there and worked up to a 225 PR. Power clean and jerks. Not bad.

First time with full cleans since I've been back. Bit rusty for sure.

Clean and jerk
135x3 7.2
185x2 9.05 (big jump bc both bumpers)
205x1 f went with a powerclean since this is actually over my previous squat clean PR and my weakness right now is obviously strength. PC went fine and then jerk was just slightly low.
205x1 f jerk again. Tried to keep it up with bent arms but lost it forward, asymmetrically.
185x1 f clean. Lost it forward. Video; didn't extend fully (?!)
185x1 ugly. Jerk was forward. Video.
185x1 f jerk. Went forward. Jerks are feeling terrible. Undoubtedly the usual knee slide.
135x1 easy but still felt the jerk a bit forward.

Jerk practice
55 (spacers) mucho jerks and some drop jerks. Both legs.

Have got to find a way to fix my jerk. Completely utterly beyond my ken.

CONDITIONING
light

45 burpees with 25lb dumbbells. Light-moderate pace. Did time this one but lost the time. Broke it up into 21-15-9 with some rest between sets, and rested briefly when necessary. Noticed towards the end I was shrugging as well on the jump and stopped, though that's not a bad addition. Decent little guy.

STRETCHING
Usual stuff, cobra and bridge (think bridge is getting more flexible), helped out some guys with their deadlift, foam rolled ITBs (OWWW) and glutes. Power went out as I finished. Awesome. Went to my next class which we held in the road outside the darkened room.

12/3/08

Worked 7-7. Last FTO shift.

Woke up during the night with sore throat? Hope I'm not getting sick again. Felt okay in morning.

Solidly sore around the legs. Glutes noticeably; maybe the squat portion of those DB burpees, which was more like a deadlift with my position. Traps and back too.

Still no creatine. Should try and really get back on there.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #17
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Also: why is the front of my neck sore? Got something like this after my first day of gymnastics too. A mystery.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #18
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Here's those videos C&Js. Ugly as sin. The cleans should, well, clean back up, but the jerk problem is longstanding and should be obvious.

http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/cro...ly_12-2-08.mov wfs

Edit: hilarious, it censored my link. Fixed.

Last edited by Brandon Oto; 12-03-2008 at 11:26 PM..
Old 12-04-2008, 02:26 AM   #19
Derek Maffett

Profile:

The first clean I can see you lost because of the bar swinging forward. The second, elbows were down to the sides during the third pull and your thoracic spine was rounded forward.

You probably knew all that, but another thing I'm wondering... do you think that the transition might be a bit late? That's kind of the impression I'm getting. Might be wrong.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:57 AM   #20
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Late may or may not be the right description. I'd just say that the scoop is lacking. It's something that's always been like that and isn't usually a problem (to the extent that my squat clean is still limited by my front squat rather than my second pull), but I'll have to deal with it one of these days.

It may be merely a problem of aggressiveness. I say that because the best scoop I've ever seen from myself was during a set of "damn the form" power cleans I did a while ago, bent arms and everything, just 100% focused on yanking as much weight from the floor as possible, and I get a biiig rebend in there. http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/cro...37_4-11-08.mov wfs