CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
Colin McNulty

Profile:
Snatch and C&J Technique - What to fix first?

Hi,

Last weekend I entered my first official Olympic Weightlifting competition in England. Whilst I acquitted myself reasonably well, I only made 3 of the 6 lifts and the video shows there are several things to work on. The question is, what's the most important thing to fix first?

You can see the video here: Colin McNulty in the Yorkshire and North East Counties Open Championships WFS

Thanks.

Last edited by Colin McNulty; 12-02-2008 at 02:15 PM..
Old 12-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Chris H Laing

Profile:
Re: Snatch and C&J Technique - What to fix first?

I just started oly lifting...like yesterday...so take this for what its worth (i have been watching buttloads of videos though ).

First, I think you need to work on catching the weight in a full squat, because your practically power snatching/cleaning the weight up. The one snatch that you did catch in a good rock bottom squat, the 74 kg attempt, you had the weight up super easy, but weren't as stable in that position as in your power snatch position, which is why you lost it.

Then you should try to keep the same back angle all the way up. In almost all your lifts, your hips come up before the rest of you, and your back is practically parallel to the ground.

I think if you keep the hips lower throughout the movement, it might also fix the problem of the bar coming so far away from your body, which is the other thing you should work to fix.

So, if you can only have one to work on first, I'd say work on the solid rock bottom squat position first, because you can easily get the weight up even with the slight back angle problem, but you would have had the 74 kg snatch in your competition if you had that solid bottom position.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

How's your ankle flexibility? An anomaly I'm noting here is that your knees are hardly going beyond your toes. Even in the full snatch, your knees are back. This would seem to help explain your lack of depth problem.

I'm even getting the vague impression that it influenced your need to jump forward, though I can't explain why that would be exactly - kind of like you knew you couldn't hit the proper squat position well and counterbalanced the hips back position by putting your own weight a little bit farther forward in relation to the bar? This is a vague feeling of course. I've never heard of this kind of error before and I'm not sure if it even makes any sense as an error. It was just the feeling I got from the video. You'll have to ask somebody smarter to verify that.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:06 AM   #4
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

* Keeping the bar much closer to my legs on the first pull.
* Keeping my bum down and shoulders up on the first pull, so they both rise together. - both first one and this one can be fixed by doing some more snatch/clean pulls. You can also point your toes out more on your pulls and definitely on your squat - that'll help you with depth
* Hopefully that will fix my erroneous forward jump. - draw a line on the floor with chalk and do some 3-positions snatches/cleans and make sure not to cross the line or even jump away from it a bit. This usually fixes the forward jump.

* Catching both the Snatch and Clean lower in the squat. - toes out a hair and push the knees out - more depth instantly. Plus ride the bar down every time you catch it high into a full squat.
* Not dipping so far on the jerk. - try to reverse the dip as soon as your knees bend. That usually does the trick.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Thanks for the tips guys. Ankle flexibility is certainly not something I'd considered before, I'm not even sure how to answer the question! How does one judge ankle flexibility?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McNulty View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. Ankle flexibility is certainly not something I'd considered before, I'm not even sure how to answer the question! How does one judge ankle flexibility?
Get down into a squat and push your knees forward as much as you can without your heels coming off the floor or your calves tearing in half (the second being more important though less likely). With weightlifting shoes, your knees should be capable of going a fair ways in front of the toes (well, more than what I was generally seeing in that video).

Not so good.
http://performancemenu.com/wod/image...queFLOlySn.jpg

Better.
http://performancemenu.com/wod/image...08-derekSn.jpg

See the difference?

Note: the "bad" example may or may not have been lack of flexibility. But if that's close to what your ankle flexibility allows, then you'll want to work on that.

Last edited by Derek Maffett; 12-03-2008 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: Monique, please don't kill me for using you as the "bad" example. You would deprive the world of 67.98% of its awsomeness.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
James Withington

Profile:

Colin, with regards to ankle flexibility Kelly Starrett wrote an excellent blog posting about improving calf/ankle flexibility that might be worth looking at here:

http://sanfranciscocrossfit.blogspot...tight-bro.html (WFS)
Old 12-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #8
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Colin - there's no ankle flexibility issues that you have to worry about.
Look at 2:34 (last c&j attempt) and you have your knees past toes.

Turn the toes out and get a habit of riding the bar down and don't worry about the ankles.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
Chris Worrall

Profile:

I'd fix the back angle first Col, but then as you are probably aware, I know jack s***.

everything starts from there, get that bit right and the bar will stay closer to your body/legs, you will be in the optimum position to drive your hips in towards the bar and finish the second pull which means you won't be jumping forward to get under the bar. Fix anything further down the chain and you will be fixing it from a different position once you correct the first pull.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
Colin - there's no ankle flexibility issues that you have to worry about.
Look at 2:34 (last c&j attempt) and you have your knees past toes.
Thanks Leonid, for others benefit, this is the bit you are referring too:

http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/ima...ean-ankles.jpg

Not as good as the 2nd photo above, but possibly not as bad as the first. I will have to try and see one day, how low I can go, as it were.

Thanks all and Chris, I think the bum up first is defo the thing to fix first. As Chris said, everything stems from that.