CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #101
Keith Walker

Profile:
Re: Yes, there are *** Crossfitters!

I am one to appreciate intelligent and thoughful debate.

However, this thread was intended, I believe, to allow for *** Crossfitter's to commune and discuss CF and other topics of interest. We have certainly headed for controversy and debate over things we can disagree on for days on end.

I, for one, would like to see us head in the direction in which this thread was created.

I'm starting to forget who is actually *** and who isn't.

Once again, for those who disagree with the existence of this thread or do not support this thread, WHY are you on here? Why waste your time? There are other threads to visit or things you can be doing with your time and life that would likely serve you much better.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #102
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Hall View Post
I'm off to workout (like we should all be doing). By the way, does anyone have any good advice on improving squat technique? I've been doing the third world squats and wall squats, but my torso can't stay straight due to RO issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Jon Gilson covers this quite well in one of his wfs "mic'd instructor" videos. It includes the stripper squat.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #103
Keith Walker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurene Grenier View Post
I move that this discussion (not this thread) about origins and morals be stopped right here, so that we can get on with the task of spurring one another on to higher highs rather than lower lows.

I'm off to hit cindy with a bat. Gonna do it as Rx'd with actual pullups for the first time. Last time (Oct 15th) I did 11 rounds with negatives and pushups on my knees. Ouch. That was after 1.5 months. Now it's been three months total. Wish me luck!
I second that motion!

Good luck with "Cindy"! It's a tough WOD but you can do it! Go Lurene, go Lurene!!! Let us know how it goes!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #104
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Aye.

Good luck Lurene. Let us know how you do!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #105
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Zhuang View Post
Perhaps two threads should be created? One for people who just want a thread in which they can come together and hang out and talk about CF. One for discussion (scientific or otherwise) about sexuality. This is to ensure that the former doesn't get unnecessarily locked.
There is an entire forum for people to hang out in and discuss CF, this is just one thread in it.

Tim - Oh, and to be clear it isn't about just me. California already voted its way, and that was millions of people. I am but one voice of many.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #106
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

THats right George, it's actaully all about me. I'll be signing autographs till 9.

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki; 12-02-2008 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: The was the longest stretch of post I had without a joke, dear lord

Old 12-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #107
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse R james View Post
"Its not ok to hate someone because of something they can't help (being white, handicapped, etc), but its ok to hate them because of a choice."
That's a very strong choice of words. My views are amongst the more intolerant of views on homosexuality, but even I don't "hate" people. Hate means to want the worst for someone/something. I want the best for (love) everyone... but that love does not extend to certain actions which I hate. I dislike in varying degrees those who engage in those actions which I hate, but I most certainly do not "hate" those people.

Quote:
I heard an interesting argument:

If being *** is a choice you can make and be blamed for, then it's a choice anyone can make equally. Therefore, anyone should be able to decide to be *** for an evening. They can actively try to be attracted to people of the same sex. People who think it's a choice ought to give that a shot, and then come back and let us know how it went...
It's difficult to develop a fondness for such behavior all of the sudden. It can certainly be built, though, over a length of time. In my opinion, children are most at risk for this and public schools foster an environment which tries to tempt them towards it.

Quote:
I'd like to note how insulting it is to have people tell you you're not a valid human being.
No one has doubted your existence as a valid human being.

Here's the thing with tolerance: I don't tolerate things that are wrong. I do not want those things to exist. This is natural. People don't want other crimes to exist.

Now, how much I ignore something is a different story. I don't tolerate fornication, adultery, or homosexuality. However, I also don't really want to know who does those acts. I oppose the acts in general, but if people don't bring them into public, I have no reason to go snooping around in their lives to find out about them.

How much I oppose something when it does come to my knowledge is also dependent on how bad the action is. I oppose stealing, but my reaction to a child stealing a candy bar is not going to be the same as my reaction to a guy breaking into a store and stealing a TV. I oppose fornication, but two people thinking about doing that on their own is not going to get the same reaction from me as if a school started encouraging children to do so. Also, my problems are less with private homosexuality and more with public homosexuality. Especially when that starts to affect children.

It's easy to say "move on to another thread/whatever," but there will always come a point when that which you do not agree with gets to the point that you will oppose it directly.

"Agree to disagree" has always been an odd phrase to me. If I disagree with someone, we'll discuss/debate and either I will change my mind or the other person will change his. Or no change will occur and we will still disagree. That doesn't mean I have to suddenly start infringing on his rights, obviously, but I will continue to disagree and if he takes his views into the public eye, I might very well take our disagreement into the public eye. And if he's trying to get children to conform to his viewpoint, my objection will be more strenuous. We won't be shaking hands over our disagreement - don't have to be violating each other's rights, but we're still not shaking hands about the disagreement.

Last edited by Derek Maffett; 12-02-2008 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #108
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Tolerance or no tolerance this really shouldn't have been posted here. I'd suggest a facebook/myspace group. Same thing goes with any other "group" posts. The COMMUNITY that the name of this group of threads belongs to is the Crossfit community...any other sub-community should be relegated to other repositories.

I'd think the best way to diplomatically go about this is that you could advertise a sub-community here: "Hey check out www. blahblah. com if you're (Christian, ***, B-ball player, etc)" And that should probably be as far as it goes on this site.

Some subjects (religion, politics, sexuality, etc) are just too volatile to remain civil on the internet...

I must say I am proud of the CF community though, on any other website this thread would've been trash days ago IMHO...WAY TO GO CF'ERS!

BUT!! I'm not naive enough to believe this thread won't be trash within a few days. The statistics just aren't good enough for us all to be intelligent, mature, human beings.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #109
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
There is an entire forum for people to hang out in and discuss CF, this is just one thread in it.
They may want to do it in a smaller group. It's just a thread for people who are similar in some way to come together to talk about things, like the girl power thread.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #110
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
Now, how much I ignore something is a different story. I don't tolerate fornication, adultery, or homosexuality. However, I also don't really want to know who does those acts. I oppose the acts in general, but if people don't bring them into public, I have no reason to go snooping around in their lives to find out about them.

Wouldn't posting a thread on a Catholic Journal's article about AIDs and homosexuality qualify as snooping around Derek?

Closed Thread