CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #41
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:
Commentary on the week...

Let's see...

Got my MRI results back, nothing wrong with my hip/hamstring; doc said take time off or push through the pain. Since I've been pushing through the pain, I opted for the former. His recommendation was a month; I'm taking a week. This decision lifted a lot of stress off my shoulders, not just from not having to worry about the pain, but also it will free up some time to get some more work done at a particularly busy time in my life.

I'm sure anyone can see I've been going back-and-forth on my strategies...Paleo, Zone Paleo...eat when I'm hungry, schedule my meals...don't pay attention to weight, weigh daily...enter food into sparkpeople, don't worry about calories... And I'm only 1/3 of the way through! I can't seem to find my niche with this. I did find a really cool spreadsheet (http://board.CrossFit.com/showthread.php?t=28341) (WFS) where you can calculate Zone blocks for grams of food rather than ambiguous cup measurements, which I find less time consuming, but it seems to allow for a lot more food than the Mastering the Zone recommendations. For example, MtZ says 1/2 cup of blackberries = 1 block; the spreadsheet says 208 grams (based on data I entered from nutrition.gov) which is about 1 cup.

I think the number one most important area I am lacking right now is sleep. I've determined that I need to be in bed by 9 to feel good in the morning, yet I consistently get to bed at 1030 or later.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #42
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:
DAY 12 Friday 05.01.09

Didn't get to bed til 1130 last night and the alarm was set for 530. I used to be able to function fabulously off 6 hours of sleep. Not anymore! Must be gettin' old...

Before going to bed I ended up eating not 1 T of almond butter but 2, plus 1 oz chicken breast and 1/4 c mango.

My sinuses are jacked up again today.

620-645am
Breakfast
6 egg whites cooked in
1T olive oil
1 large banana with
2 T (30g) almond butter
Med with 6 oz water

I was SO looking forward to this banana for breakfast, waiting in anticipation for it to ripen optimally. I haven't had a banana in a looong time. It wan't as good as I remembered it. Too sweet. Upset my stomach a little, kinda giving me a bloated feeling.

928am Hungry!!! 2 more clients and I can grab a snack.

1049am I am so friggin' hungry. That'll teach me to have 3 blocks of fruit as my carbs for breakfast.

1056am-11am
Snack
Hardboiled egg (1 block)
75g pineapple (1 block)
No fat added because of fat in yolk/not working out/plenty of fat with breakfast

133pm-2pm
Lunch
3 oz chicken (3 blocks)
275g spaghetti squash (1.5 blocks) tossed in
1 T olive oil (9 blocks)
75g sweet potato (1.5 blocks)
100g romaine (negligible carbs) with lemon juice

248pm
My stomach hurts a little bit...kinda like how it feels if I eat something spicy.

610pm
Snack
1.5 oz deli turkey wrapped around
1/8 avocado
container of blackberries

950pm
Just finished dinner at Ruby Tuesdays
Salad bar plate full of mixed greens plus
5 mushroom slices
10 grape tomatoes
6 cucumber slices
Balsamic vinegar
Petite sirloin, 7 oz, requested plain
Double serving of broccoli, also plain (salt/pepper)

This was my first time eating out while trying to do strict Paleo. I thought the server was going to drop kick me out the door. My husband was rolling his eyes and seemed embarrassed by my requests. Overall a less than pleasant experience, but I stood firm.

And I'm still hungry!! :/

And my stomach HURTS. But it's not even my stomach. It's a weird burning aching pain, like when I eat something spicy - but it's in my right upper abdomen and referring around to my back. Strange...

1041pm Contemplated making sorbet (I thought it would be soothing on my digestive pain), but had no frozen fruit. Then I thought I'd just pour some coconut milk over some pineapple. Finally just decided on the usual bedtime snack...
Snack
1 T almond butter

Man my stomach hurts. Yet I still feel like eating.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #43
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:
Day 13 Saturday 05.02.09

05.02.03 Saturday

Got another 8 hours of sleep...woke up before my alarm and felt pretty alert. But once I got up realized I have a headache and my sinuses are still swollen. My allergy nurse said to get hypoallergenic covers for my mattress and pillows because my biggest allergy is dust. I don't know why my reaction to not having them would suddenly change over night, but whatever.

Couldn't resist the compulsion to weigh again. 136.5#.
Then I called my husband into the bathroom, pointed accusingly at the scale and said, “Take it away!” This time he did.

750am-810am
I’m still having stomach pain, but not as badly.
Breakfast
I decided to test the conclusion I arrived at yesterday that I shouldn't have 3 blocks of fruit for breakfast.
Headache med + antihistamine (tired of this sinus crap!) with 6 oz water
?~190?g blackberries (forgot to weigh, but ate the whole container; last container was 190g; one block is 208g)
2 whole eggs, fried in olive oil
2 egg whites, fried in olive oil
160g strawberries (1 block)
75g pineapple (1 block)
6 almonds (somehow I randomly blocked out the olive oil I used and thought I needed additional fat blocks for this meal - whatever; it's negligible in the scheme of things…)

912am
It just occurred to me that it's stupid to take an antihistamine when you're trying to determine food allergies and sensitivities. Duh! But I was tired of feeling like crapola so I guess the logical part of my brain was overridden by the "I want to feel better!" part.

1142am Well the antihistamine hasn't helped any. My stomach pain is getting progressively worse. I discovered that the Intramax contains probiotics and anti-inflammatory ingredients so I'm beginning to wonder if its benefits outweigh the risks of what is probably a negligible amount of tea extract. But I said I'd eliminate it for 7-10 days to see what effect it has on me.

115pm Just finished farewell lunch for a member at Miller Ale House:
“Philly cheese steak sandwich” with sauteed onions, green & red peppers and mushrooms (just the meat and veggies; no bread, no cheese)
Side salad (iceberg, red onion, tomatoes, bacon, lemon juice)
Broccoli, plain (the usual measly side ~1 cup), with salt and pepper

Apparently there's a Chocolate Festival at the mall across the street from where I'll be grocery shopping. A friggin' chocolate festival, really?? I was tempted to check it out, thinking it's my cheat day and tomorrow's my anniversary, and I deserve to splurge. But then I decided there's no way I'm finding anything there that's dairy and gluten free. Or that doesn't have processed sugar. Better to save it for the wine with dinner...

6pm Finally home and can grab a snack!
1.5 oz deli turkey
1/8 avocado
75g sweet potato

645pm that snack did NOT hold me over, hungry!

7pm another snack
75g mango
1.5 oz deli turkey
6 almonds

936pm Just finished anniversary dinner at Yamato's (what seafood allergy? )
Sashimi platter (Crab stick, White tuna, Yellowtail, Mackrel, Salmon, snapper, Squid – totally disgusting! Only had ½ a piece)
Sautéed veggies - hold the soy/oyster sauce, specifically requested they be cooked only in oil/salt/pepper - (zucchini, broccoli, cucumber, carrots, green onion, onion, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, picked out the bean sprouts)
2 glasses organic sulfite-free merlot (found this at Winn Dixie! It was OK. Not as dry as I like my merlot, but choices are limited here in what is considered L.A. = "Lower Alabama")
1 orange minus 1 wedge (I was excited when I learned that this is what they serve with the bill rather than fortune cookies. )

This restaurant was so accomodating to my specific requests. After requesting no soy sauce for my veggies, the server returned from the kitchen to ask about the oyster sauce. And they let me bring my own bottle of wine in and only charged a $5 corking fee).

1118pm
Had 2 shots 44north huckleberry vodka...Decided it’s worth the cheat on my anniversary! This decision may have been fueled by the 2 glasses of wine.

Midnight (ish) snack
1.5 oz turkey
1 T almond butter
75g sweet potato
Old 05-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #44
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:
Day 14 Sunday 05.03.09

Breakfast
4 links turkey sausage
3 Banana flax pancakes (1 banana, 2 T almond butter, 1.5 T flax meal) sprinkled with cinnamon
(recipe from Nikki Young's Paleo Breakfast Recipes book http://nikkisblogspot.com/wp-content...st_recipes.pdf - WFS)

These pancakes were SO good! A great sub for regular pancakes. Not sure I'll give up "real" pancakes for them once I'm done with the Paleo Challenge, but I would cook a batch and freeze to have during the week and reserve grain-based pancakes for weekend cheat meals.

1140am I'm still hungry though and I want to eat more! So I'm thinking another round of the same...

Noon-ish: again...
Breakfast continued...
4 turkey sausage links
3 banana flax pancakes
plus
150g strawberries
150g pineapple

1240pm
Just calculated that combined, all of this food was 8 blocks of protein and 8 blocks of fruits. Oops. :/

And I still feel like eating...I don't know if it's the 4 drinks I had last night, or just a lazy, veg in front of the TV/computer/eat out of boredom appetite. Maybe I'm dehydrated - haven't had any water since before dinner last night!

212pm Still trying to fight the urge to eat more!

311pm
Snack
Celery
Almond butter

4:08pm And now I am up to date with my log...

The rest of today later.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:20 AM   #45
Brittany Warren

Profile:
Re: Kristie does 30 Days in "Paleo Lockdown"

Happy anniversary! Your dinner sounded AMAZING.

My husband makes fun of me at restaurants too. Feh. MEN.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #46
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Warren View Post
Happy anniversary! Your dinner sounded AMAZING.

My husband makes fun of me at restaurants too. Feh. MEN.
Thanks! He doesn't make fun so much as...look embarrassed, as if he's wondering when I'm going to stop being so neurotic.

Maybe....never!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #47
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:
Day 14 Sunday 05.03.09 continued...

5pm saw a can of Coke my husband left on the counter and I had a sudden huge urge to drink it! Gulped down 8 oz water instead.

837pm Just finished dinner
Grilled pork chop
Salad (romaine, carrots, grape tomatoes, lemon juice)
Spaghetti squash tossed in olive oil with diced onions and Italian seasoning/salt/pepper
1/2 canteloupe
1 T almond butter

Some small bites during food prep of chicken breast, pineapple, canned artichoke hearts, pineapple juice

In bed before 1030... (1021 )

1051pm migraine "light show" precursor, nausea, dizziness. WTF?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #48
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:
Day 15 Monday 05.04.09

Ugh.....lousy lousy lousy day, not really with food, just bleh...

745am-830am
Breakfast
Med with 6 oz water
3 hardboiled eggs
225g white mushrooms, sauteed in
1T olive oil, salt/pepper/dill/parsley
100g sweet potato
190g strawberries

1140pm still feeling naueated, jittery too. Like I had too much coffee, but I'm very tired.

1145pm
Snack
2nd med with 6 oz water
1 oz baked chicken breast (1 block)
125g cantaloupe (1 block)
12.5g pumpkin seeds

330pm
I'm working from home today because of the headache/nausea/dizziness. I'm hungry and I have a sudden urge for bacon. Which I have in my fridge. And can pop in the nuker for 3 minutes and done...
Lunch
3 oz baked chicken breast (3 blocks)
165g grape tomatoes (0.5 block)
250g artichoke hearts (0.85 block)
225g sauteed white mushrooms (1.15 blocks)
30g green olives (3 blocks)
50g shredded carrots (0.375 blocks)
(no bacon )

8:45pm Dinner
2 "Italian" turkey sausages (4 blocks)
Sautéed green peppers and onions
160g romaine lettuce, plain
Cantaloupe (probably too much?)
2 tablespoons almond butter

10pm
Another link of Italian sausage…

10:11pm I want more food…..

11:04pm
Stayed up too late trying to fix my not-so-smartphone issues and now I’m hungry again. After I thought I fixed the syncing issues, it’s been randomly deleting and duplicating appointments. I missed a client meeting this morning. I’ve been searching the forums for hours, plus had to take time to call all my clients to verify my schedule for the week. Hopefully it’s resolved. Grr.

Snack so I can sleep…
~2 oz Deli turkey
1/8 avocado

Commentary
I miss working out. I've been reading everyone else's logs with envy. The week off doesn't seem to have had any positive effect on my hamstring/hip. We'll see how the massage/ultrasound go on Wednesday.

On a positive note, my other aches and pains (collarbone, shoulder, knee) seem to be resolving. So the week off is not without benefit.

Sinus issues were worsening it seemed after discontinuing the Intramax, but right now seem to be better.

Headaches. Eh. Today sucked. I really think working out has a mitigating effect on them.

Sleep. Well. It's 11:30pm. Alarm is set for...5:30am. Goodnight!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #49
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:
Day 16 05.05.09 Tuesday

Today was OK until I got home from work…

I need more hours in a day. Stayed up too late last night, up too early this morning and I didn't get everything done.

Where did all my food go??? I just dropped another $100 at the grocery on Saturday and it seems like I have no vegetables except carrots and mushrooms! And I'm out of eggs already. Do I eat too much or something? I'm going to have to have chicken for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! I wonder if I can make a chicken and sweet potato "pancake"? I'm obsessed with pancakes since having them on Saturday.

630am
Found some hardboiled eggs stashed in the back of the fridge. Not hungry. Considered fasting, decided on a 1-block snack.
75g pineapple
2 egg whites
7 almonds

1015am Kinda hungry but also nauseated, don't feel like eating. Need to take another dose of meds but can't ‘til 11 so I'll wait to eat when I can take it.

1109am
2nd med with 6 oz water. I feel ridiculous being so debilitated by this headache and nausea. I keep telling myself that 6 months ago my aunt underwent a 2nd stem cell transplant for multiple myeloma and I'm a whiny baby. I suck.
Snack
3 oz deli turkey (2 blocks)
1/8 avocado (20g = 2 blocks)
8 strawberries (1 block due to miscalculation)

353pm
Lunch
Duplicate yesterday – I like this lunch, quick and easy; I’ll prob have it again tomorrow! Drawback = sodium content of the olives/canned artichoke hearts.
3 oz baked chicken breast (3 blocks)
165g grape tomatoes (0.5 block)
250g artichoke hearts (0.85 block)
225g sauteed white mushrooms (1.15 blocks)
30g green olives (3 blocks)
50g shredded carrots (0.375 blocks)

"Dinner"
Then…I got home about 7pm. And I decided I wanted to try out this Paleo-friendly almond muffin recipe. I cut it down to 1/3 – I didn’t want to waste a bunch of almond butter and coconut milk if I didn’t like them, and if I did like them, I didn’t want a bunch of them around, lol!

...I ate all 6 of them.

1/3 c almond butter
1/3 c sliced almonds
1/3 c coconut milk
2/3 c coconut flakes
1 egg
It’s not that they were that good; they were kind of bland and I kept thinking they’d be much better with some butter or honey on them, but that didn’t stop me from eating them. Did I mention I ate all of them?

Then I made a batch of banana-sweet potato flax pancakes (same as the recipe from Saturday except I didn’t have enough banana, so I made up the difference with sweet potato)
2/3 banana + enough sweet potato to equal ½ cup banana + sweet potato
2 T almond butter
1.5 T flax meal
1 egg

Plus 4 oz deli turkey.

And a link of Italian sausage.

And I still want more food…..

POSITIVITY!!!!! I AM a whiny baby. I need to focus less on the negative and concentrate more on the positive!! And log it, too. I looked back over my log and I thought, “Hell I wouldn’t want to read this thread; it depresses me, and I wrote it!” Lol.

For example – examples of positivity, that is, not of my depressing thread; plenty of examples here!

Monday I finally finished an online business class I’ve been working on for over a year with a 92%!

One of the members of our box donated – donated – $2800 for equipment purchase!! Road trip to Wright Rubber for more bumpers and barbells coming up!

Got a phone call today from a company I had contacted about using their services, and it was to let me know they were offering a promotional rate that saved us $400!

My business partner and I decided we wanted to try our hand at making our own beef jerky from local grass-fed bison, and a friend gave us a dehydrator!

My sinuses are doing better…we got a climbing rope…my most frustrating client at the GloboGym finally saw the CrossFit light…

OK, so none of them have anything directly to do with working out or what I’m eating…but all the negativity certainly has to have an effect on my stress/well-being and therefore my eating, healing and workout performance.

So! Apologies for the constant doom and gloom; more puppies and rainbows from now on (or at least a balance…)
Old 05-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #50
Brittany Warren

Profile:

I LOVE your positivity examples. Money for equipment for your box? An awesome dehydrator to make your own jerky??? (Dude, I totally want one. The hubs would not buy off on it though, I don't think. He's supportive...to a point. )

I hear you about all the food -- I drop 200 dollars each time I go to the store, easily. Annnnd that's usually about twice a month. I have no idea why my grocery bill approaches $400 a month. I feel like that is awfully astronomical considering I'm only feeding two people.

Of course, my husband and I bring both our breakfast and lunch to work with us, so we aren't paying for food outside of the grocery bill...meh.

You aren't a whiny baby, btw. Not feeling good can really bring out the crabby in the best of us. Cut yourself some slack -- you're doing really well. (Even with the 6 muffin binge. I might have to try the recipe -- I bet with a hit of agave nectar or some dried fruit in the batter they'd be fabulous.)