CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Brian Taylor

Profile:
When do you find time to workout? I work days and my wife works nights. The second I get home my 2 yr. old wants me, I can barely clean house before I have to totally engross my life with her. My wife doesn't want me doing any weight work around my daughter because she thinks I'll drop them on her and I can't wake up any earlier than I already do. I want to hear from others how they juggle this.

BT
Old 05-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Welcome,

I'm not sure about a two-yr old, but mine are 7, 5, and 4. They are mostly aware that they need to stand back a bit if the kettlebells are flying, for example. They will also mimick and workout with me lots of time.

If you start harping on the safety thing now, your daughter will eventually get it and will be safer around you working out (and may workout too).

All things considered, crossfit workouts are the best, time-wise...some workouts are 5min or so (Fran) up to 20min (Cindy). There are some that are extended but those aren't that frequent (and you can skip them if you don't have the time).

Another thing, give your daughter a "job" in a certain location so she doesn't get under you. Perhaps sit her in a hula hoop and she counts reps (whenever they are old enough) or draws a picture of you or holds the stopwatch or whatever.

Good luck...

howard
Old 05-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Ben Abbott

Profile:
Brian,
Mine are 5, 2 and half, and 6 months. I usually do my workouts either right after the two oldest go to bed or right before, depending on the night. The middle one usually wants to be there when I am working out but knows to stay back when using I'm using weights. It took a little while for her to understand that Daddy wasn't supposed to have "help" lifting or doing his exercises. She likes to mimic what I do off to the side so with setting certain boundaries on what she is and isn't allowed to touch it has worked out well.

Along with what Howard said about the job if you can set up a little area in your workout space for her to exercise with you it might help a lot.

Ben
Old 05-24-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Often I will workout at 10pm after my 6 year old is asleep.

I can usually break away from the office a bit early and work out before I head home to the crazy nighttime routine that is my home life!

What are your feelings and her amenability to a playpen with some fascinating toys to play with while she watches for 15-20 minutes?

As for weights not being mom approved, try Eva T.'s no equipment workouts on her blog. I'll look for the link.

What can you manage on a lunch break at work? If doing the WOD as prescribed is too long to allow you to get to a gym, clean up and get back to the office, try the scaled workouts at Brand X. If you're able to do a WOD as prescribed when you have time, the scaled ones will be SHORT and effective if you hit then hard.

linkage is W/F safe: http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16

Good luck. If you can only find 2-3 brief periods to work out, that will be better than no workouts and will help in the stress dept. With that split schedule, I imagine it's really tough to manage.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:10 AM   #5
Tom Fetter

Profile:
My kids are now older - 8, 14 and 15. My solution's been to work out with them. The youngest's the fittest of us all, with a deadlift of twice his bodyweight.

When they were little, such solo tasks either happened when they were asleep, or my wife and I would take turns doing childcare to free up the other adult. Or I'd take them to a playground, and do chins etc. on the equipment.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
My girls are 22, 15, 10 and 8. I've been competing since my oldest was 5. I'd take them in their carseats, fast asleep from the ride to the weightroom and often they'd sleep through all the weight dropping. If they were awake, they kept busy with crayons, paper, toys, snacks. I playpen was more hassle than it was worth. A pad on the floor was easier to rollup and carry around. Often their boundaries were within one power cage with a bench to use as a table. They knew to stay back when mom was at the bar. They knew to stay away from other moving people/machines/dumbbells. At 2yr old they're certaining ready to follow a few simple instructions. But, if you have a very active toddler, give him his/her own barbell and weights - wooden, plastic or otherwise - and let them train alongside you. :-)
Old 05-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
James Carroll

Profile:
I hit my workouts after the kids are in bed. Usually around 9 pm. Even if the DW is there or not, I am in the garage and music on. They're kids, if they need me they will find me, trust me :D

j
Old 05-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
use your kid for the weight?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
James Goodell

Profile:
I have a 3, 5, and 7 year old. I've been x-fitting for 17 months, and my workouts either end before 6:30am, or begin after 8:30 pm. It's definitely not ideal from a training perspective, but you have to live your life too. It's still a lot closer to optimal than not working out at all. On the plus side, every month or so I get the chance to workout at a nice sane time (say, anytime between 10am and 6pm), and then it's PR Time!
Old 05-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Good one Tirzah...kinda the Milo training progression, sort of.

howard