CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Hey CF community!

I’ve been nursing a shoulder injury since January. I did it after a mega-dose of rope climbs and handstand pushups. I was grinding out the hspu and think that may be the source.
Later that day I was putting my kid down for a nap and fell asleep on my side, woke up and my rt shoulder has never been the same.

I had strength in it for a long time, just pain if I did not nail a lift perfectly. In fact hit a PB snatch, OHS, push jerk and DB Thrusters! The nagging pain lingered so I laid off for a couple of months...no difference. Finally I said f-it and got back into heavy overhead work...ouch! Felt like I threw my arm out.
Been laying off for the last 8 weeks and it is still real bad.

1. Can't do any overhead pressing, but can do snatches...weird.
2. Can't do pullups but can do chinups...odd.
3. Can do close grip pushups...but not wide, OUCH!
4. I can do dips and muscle-ups.

Shampooing hair hurts. External rotation above my head is the worst.

I am looking for sources, suggestions, rehab exercises any general help beyond "Go see a doctor".
I have dedication ZERO time in trying to rehab this, been working around it/ignoring it, well it is time to get my shoulder back in shape!

Thanks for any help you can give!

In Health,
Jerry
Old 06-05-2006, 04:14 AM   #2
Jerry Hill

Profile:
I take it back, Muscle ups do bother my shoulder, I can gut through them and they are a different feel than overhead work.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:13 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Jerry,

Not a rehab expert here but here is my 2 cents due to my research the last few months for my own shoulder issues.

Garret gave me these links a few months back to help determine what might be wrong in my shoulders:
http://www.clinicalsportsmedicine.com/chapters/14d.htm
http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/articles/scni20a1.htm

Once you have figured that out...triggerpoints might help.

http://www.triggerpoints.net/_sgg/m1m1_1.htm

I also liked these articles over at T-nation:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459577
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1055409

Hope these help.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I had a similar sounding problem after doing HSPU, recently though your case sounds worse than mine was. I did lots of External rotation and supraspinatus lifts with a heavy band for about 2 weeks along with lots of scapular retractions and lots of shoulder mobility work with the broomstick.

In case you don't know the ER is elbow at your side bent at 90 degrees. supraspinatus lift is shoulder Abduction(lateral raise) with your thumb pointed down. If you do this donot go over about 75-80 degrees of abduction. Scapular retraction I used some tubing with handles, pulled it tight with both arms and while keeping my arms straight pulled my scapulae together. It is kind of an awkward movement, but if done properly with the right resistance is very hard. Then with stick i did overhead position pulling my scapulae back as much as possible, then stretched IR, ER and Extension.

Hope that helps
Old 06-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
Mike Griffith

Profile:
Jerry,

Let me tell you something, go to an ortho doc and have your shoulder looked at. Maybe it is not a strain, maybe it is a tear? After you have had an ortho doc look at it then go to physical therapy and get the proper rehab prescription. They will treat you and give you the correct exercises to do. This will be the quickest way to get fully back in the game.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:22 AM   #6
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I agree with Mike, but Jerry said he did not want that advice.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #7
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Thanks Allen, Jerimiah and Mike!

You provided some great resources and advice. I'm on it. It is a strange injury, will see what can be done on my own.

In Health,
Jerry
Old 06-09-2006, 06:31 AM   #8
John Walsh

Profile:
Jerry,

Had something similar. I know you said no “go to the doctor” advice but like someone else said you should rule out a more serious problem. Mine was not serious so I simply laid off stuff that aggravated it for a few months, did some stretching, massage and rotator cuff stuff. Most importantly I learned how to lift correctly. Pavel has some great stuff on proper technique that can also apply to HSPUs and rope climbing
Old 06-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #9
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
Jerry, I'm not a doctor but I've had shoulder problems before.

1st. Going to a doctor and getting some physical therapy isn't a bad idea. The doc could rule out a tear and the PT will give you great exercise and tell you the bad ones too.

I was told that all over head exercises will just irritate the injury. Handstands are bad for a shoulder injury. Any over head press is bad.

From my understanding, you only have so much room in your shoulder joint. When the tendons get irritated,they swell and take up more room causing pain in some movements. SO, the key is to avoid the type of movement that will irritate while strengthening with movements that don't.

I've got one of those Thera bands and a tube too so I can do rotator cuff exercises. I also do them with light dumbbells but the bands in my opinion are superior.

Also, ice is your best friend. I've also got a shoulder strap that holds an ice pack. I love that thing.

Good luck man. If your anything like me, the last thing you want to do is rest but it's really the best thing.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:54 AM   #10
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Don't forget about massage - it works very well for shoulder injuries. See http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/14941.html for why and how to.

For me, a little backing up from too intense activities like high-rep rounds of muscle-ups, HSPUs, or heavy snatches together with some massage usually does the trick in some days whenever pain flares up or clicking is too loud to be ignored.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian