CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
David Steckler

Profile:
Medicine Ball Diameter

What effect does diameter have on medicine balls? If I've got a 9" D-Ball and a 14" D-Ball, both at 20#, why would I use one as opposed to the other and under what circumstances?

Thanks in advance!
David

And for the record, I reviewed the D-Balls site as well searching this site, using key words: 1) "medicine" and "diameter;" and 2)"medicine" and "size." Nothing really to the point ;-)
Old 09-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
James White

Profile:
Re: Medicine Ball Diameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Steckler View Post
What effect does diameter have on medicine balls? If I've got a 9" D-Ball and a 14" D-Ball, both at 20#, why would I use one as opposed to the other and under what circumstances?

Thanks in advance!
David

And for the record, I reviewed the D-Balls site as well searching this site, using key words: 1) "medicine" and "diameter;" and 2)"medicine" and "size." Nothing really to the point ;-)
My understanding is that the larger size is better for wall-ball and the like. More surface area if you miss the catch and take it to the face.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James White View Post
My understanding is that the larger size is better for wall-ball and the like. More surface area if you miss the catch and take it to the face.
Yeah, basically. It's easier to catch a smaller diameter ball, but it feels worse when you miss.

But you could also prefer one over the other for things like med ball cleans since your arms/hands can only be so close together comfortably. Doing a med ball clean with something the size of a golf ball would be pretty uncomfortable for a big dude.

Put your hands up like you're doing a goblet squat. Pull your shoulders back while still in that position. I'd think that's a good size ball for most things.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier; 09-23-2010 at 02:03 PM..
Old 09-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
David Steckler

Profile:

Thanks for the input. I ordered a 14" d-ball but the vendor shipped a 9" and I was debating whether to return it or just keep it. I ultimately decided to go w/the 14" b/c that's the size of a Dynamax ball, which we're all used to.

David