CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Steve Gallo

Profile:
Hi,
I've been doing crossfit for about four weeks now. So far I love it, its exactly what I'm looking for and I couldn't be happier with it. I've gotten a lot of my friends and family to get on board, and they all love it too. Actually, I've been enjoying it so much that I may be pushing it a little hard. I come from a pretty good all kettlebell and wrestling background, so I've been trying to do every WOD as prescribed. Felt good for the first three weeks, but now I'm getting a lot of aches and pains, not soreness.

Specifically, I'm getting a lot of pain in my lower back, right near my tail bone. I think it was a little achey before I started crossfit, I can't remember. Sometimes it doesn't hurt at all, other times it keeps me tossing and turning at night. It's weird, sometimes I'll lay down and it will start aching, but if I move my hips to a different position or flex my core, the pain goes away. Its just when I lay on my back in a neutral position do I get a lot of pain.

My guess is that I have an imbalance somewhere. I'm really strong in the metcon stuff, and I can knock out pull ups pretty easily, but I suck at the oly lifts and my squat/DL is weak. As an example, I haven't done todays WOD yet, but I watched the video. I know I can't squat or DL anywhere near what the athletes in the video can, but I know I can get at least 115-125 without much trouble on the shoulder press, probably more.

I know next to nothing about back injuries. Can anyone give me any advice?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Scott Borre

Profile:
How is your form? If you haven't done Oly lifts before and you are doing them without some instruction (or quality guides... or something), you can easily hurt your back.

Back extensions help strengthen back. Proper warmups should help.

For sleeping, you can put a towel inbetween your knees if you sleep on the side and that can help (doesn't work for me as I shift too often when I sleep).

Lots of good information in the online world on back pain, remedies, etc.