CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
David Goodrich

Profile:
Zone and weight gain, no GOMAD?

All my minimal nutrition knowledge comes from this forum but this is my first post here. I did a quick search and already got some ideas, but since I am fairly clueless when it comes to nutrition I'd like to post my specifics in the hopes of confirming what I think I my plan should be. Hopefully this is a quick read

Quick background - 22yrs old, height 6' even, weight 185lbs, bf at or under 10%, so lean body mass is about 170 (17 blocks). Never "zoned" strictly but I roughly followed 40/30/30 with anywhere from 2000-2500 calories per day. I currently train olympic lifting 3x a week. One day a week I try and fit in some BW push/pull work on the rings and/or some KB work for metcon's sake. 2-3 days a week I run or erg. All of that supplementary work is completely dependent on recovery from and for oly-workouts as those command 100% of my focus. I have no problem skipping the supplementary stuff as needed depending on what my body tells me... their only purpose is to maintain some metcon and 5K running speed (for PFT, I'm at 19min 5K and can afford to lose some)

I'm looking to gain anywhere from 10-20lbs over the next couple months without resorting to GOMAD. The first couple days this week I upped portions and starting recording everything on thedailyplate.com - I got myself to 2914 calories the other day maintaining 40/30/30 (C - 358g, P 232g, F - 84g). According to the website I should be in the 3500-4000 calorie range to gain 1-2 pounds per week. I was planning on just upping the portions on everything to keep the same ratios and hit 3750 calories for 1.5lbs a week gain. That would put me at around 40 blocks daily (DOUBLE what I "should" be eating" with approximately 10 block meals and 5 block snacks. I love milk, but not enough to GOMAD, especially when I can just eat like a horse.

The other threads I've seen talk about upping fat blocks and shots of olive oil to get a quick caloric boost. That's all well and good but I figure if I can stay in 40/30/30 I might as well. The other thread had 40/30/30 topped at 2500cal per day which I didn't think was enough, although someone responded that 35 blocks daily worked well which is more where I'm going.

I guess my only reason for posting is to get someone more experienced than I with nutrition/zone to tell me if my plan of 10/10/5/10/5 makes any sense at all. It seems very simple although it is an almost ridiculous amount of food. Is it too much or should this do the trick? Today is the first day I'm going for the full calorie load, so attached below are my first two meals. I try and eat clean, and I supplement with fish oil, flaxseed oil, multivitamin and B-50 complex.

Any comments welcome. Thanks in advance,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	half day.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	2588  
Old 09-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Jacob Cloud

Profile:
Re: Zone and weight gain, no GOMAD?

Why are you stuck on your current ratios? What's wrong with milk?

Anyway, I'd double the fat immediately. It's tastier, easier to eat, and makes people happy. Good for your joints, soul, and skin. "With win-win-win, we all win. Me too." (name that quote and get 12 points)

You are getting plenty of protein, more than enough carbs, but not nearly enough fat, IMO.

EDIT: And because I know my opinion means so much...if, at a young 22 year old 6', you are a relatively well-muscled and naturally lean 185, stop counting/measuring and just eat everything around you that's healthy. And I don't mean what bodybuilders say is healthy - I mean what Paleo/Zone says is healthy. Butter, red meat, egg yolks, all that stuff. I seriously doubt you'll get "Fat" (unlike some of us).

Last edited by Jacob Cloud; 09-25-2008 at 03:38 PM..
Old 09-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Liam Dougherty Springer

Profile:

There is more to uping the fat than upping the calories though that can help too. High fat diets are "protein sparing" meaning you are less likely to use protien as energy. Also there is a limit to usable dietary protien and haveing 35 blocks of carbs is an insuline bananza which may not have as bennificial results as could be had at a lowered carb consumption. Don't get me wrong most of us need carbs for good gains but once again there are negative effects of insulin on the anibolic metabolism as well as positive. There is a weight gain article by Robb Wolf in the store at performancemenu.com which follows the zone as a recomended nutrion balance. I can understand not wanting to GOMAD I have a difficult time with dairy and it is hard to find raw milk in the city.

Last edited by Liam Dougherty Springer; 09-25-2008 at 04:18 PM..
Old 09-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
David Goodrich

Profile:

Awesome stuff already, thanks a lot. With OLY lifting I figured I should start eating like a horse, I did that for a while, ended up recording it the other day and hit the 40/30/30 almost perfectly just by luck. That reminded me of my previous skimming of CFJ21, which I then reread, then I posted here.

Jacob - I'm not "stuck" persay, I just thought that was the "zone" ratio, plus my diet seems to work out that way without much thinking. I simply don't want to drink a gallon of milk a day when I can just eat. I probably consume a gallon of water as it is, I think I'd spend the majority of my day in front of the urinal if I threw in the milk.

Now do you mean go back to a 5/5/5/5/5 and double fat? Stay here and double fat? Or just eat a ton of everything and use EVOO liberally? For 12 points, What is The Office?

Liam - I remember reading about high fat somewhere. It was more of a skim than a read, so I'll have to look around more. I'll be sure to check out PM for the Robb Wolf article and thanks for the tip on the carbs.

Really helpful stuff. I'll try and read up tonight/tomorrow and keep educating myself on this. Thanks again,
Dave