CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Christina Elser

Profile:
Dairy Free diet

I am new to this, I hope I'm posting a question correctly. Is a dairy free diet beneficial? Does that help with losing weight, or defining muscle tonality? I know calcium is important, so I have tablets that I take. Just curious because in training for a fitness show I was told to cut my dairy about a month out from the show.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Dairy Free diet

I am interested in this too, I was just told by acupuncturist that I should sub milk for rice or almond milk.

However, should be in "nutrition" forum.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Dairy or no dairy, you'll find an arguement for both. I'm currently drinking a gallon of whole milk a day plus a quart of chocolate milk after training. Others have gone no dairy and have gotten very lean.

Which ever way you want to go, do it, but do not replace milk with rice, soy or those other weird milk substitutes. Bad idea.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I think it is very individual. Some people do not tolerate dairy very well, and will report 'leaning up considerably' having quit it.

Some do fine with it.

It is great for growth.

Personally I don't drink a ton of it, but when I do I try to make it whole. And the only other 'milk' I use on occasion is unsweetened almond milk, which isn't the best anyway because it's full of weird stuff (unless you make it yourself)

I would say it couldn't hurt to give up dairy for a month and see if you notice any difference. Though I advise against doing this in conjunction with general cleaning up of your diet, because then you will think 'wow, i DID lean up!' ---> 'dairy makes me fat!'

best to do it in isolation of other dietary changes if you want to find out for sure what effect milk has on your body (if any)
Old 09-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Delita Wright

Profile:

I'm currently doing a dairy free week (also wheat and soy, but another story) because I have a history of dairy sensitivity and am ready to see the symptoms go away. My week is an experiment to see if that is really the culprit.

I don't sub soy milk for dairy because soy milk is so sweet (too much sugar)! Sometimes I do use a little oat milk or almond milk, but I'm leaning toward almond milk this year, more of what I want is in it, and lower calorie.

If you have a reason to go no milk, those IMO are likely to be better subs than soy, which also is accredited with other issues you may not want to get into.

Not sure this is exactly on topic but where I am today.

Do you get to stay on yogurt? Some who are sensitive to dairy find they can still handle yogurt, and it may help rather than hinder what you are trying to do. I sure would stick with the *good* yogurts like Stonyfield and stay far away from artificially sweetened etc. yogurts, which are everywhere. They can cause swelling too.

I understand you're not especially sensitive, but figure in your case they are looking to do away with bloating, commonly tied to milk.

My best to you on your competition preparations!

Last edited by Delita Wright; 09-17-2008 at 03:53 PM..
Old 09-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

Removing dairy and grains from the diet is one of the easiest ways of losing weight. Dairy has all the goodness in it to help you grow, remove it and, well you get the picture.

Me personally I eat yogurt or kefir daily, heavy cream on occasion with coffee, and plain milk every once in awhile.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Agree with all previous posts. My 2 cents would be to skip the milk, eat the cow, lift heavy sh-t off the ground, push over head, repeat. Report back in 6 months.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:13 AM   #8
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

Cutting dairy for a month is probably not going to hurt anything at all, especially if you're eating plenty of Real Food in the meantime.
Adding dairy back in, you may be surprised to notice effects of an intolerance that you never noticed before. Some people do fine with it (me); some people do much better without it (my husband, who can now breathe through his nose on a regular basis).
Old 09-18-2008, 06:11 AM   #9
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Just wanted to plug raw milk here- good stuff in it and people normally intolerant to milk don't usually have problems with it bc of the good stuff in it.
Kefir is great too.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #10
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delita Wright View Post
I'm currently doing a dairy free week (also wheat and soy, but another story) because I have a history of dairy sensitivity and am ready to see the symptoms go away. My week is an experiment to see if that is really the culprit.
Delita - I remember Dr. Garrett Smith saying something along the lines of dairy symptoms staying with you for about 3 weeks after you stop consuming it. To see it it's really the culprit, you may want to go a month.