CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
Tom Seryak

Profile:
Exclamation zone diet and performance?

Question... Since carbohydrates are the body's main source for fuel/energy, especially during anaerobic activity, how is it that "the zone" diet is recommended as the preferred nutrition model for crossfit? It is my understanding that the zone diet recommends eating meats, nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables. Where are the complex carbohydrates? How could you possibly perform well in crossfit if your only source of carbohydrates are from fruits and vegetables? What about brown rice, oatmeal, whole grains, etc.?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
J

Profile:

Re: zone diet and performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Seryak View Post
Since carbohydrates are the body's main source for fuel/energy...
Says who?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Tom Seryak

Profile:

says science... carbohydrates are the main fuel source involved in anaerobic glycolysis which is the energy system used most often during crossfit workouts.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
Jason Lin

Profile:

Zone isn't paleo. You can eat grain if you want. At least read up on the basics of zone first before posting stuff like this.

Also, 40% of zone diet is from carb. How much do you think you need to do 15-20 minutes WOD?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Jack Gayton

Profile:

There is a ton of information on the boards regarding this. Might want to search the nutrition forum.

The whole point of zone is to get your macros to 40% C / 30% P / 30% F. What foods you use to get your ratios there is really up to you. Nobody is saying you cannot use grains or oatmeal etc.

A lot of people have had tremendous success using "Paleo" sources in combination w/ the zone. Often referred to as "paleo zone" on the boards. They use vegetables and fruits to make up their carbs blocks. It's a challenge to eat enough veggies and fruit, but it can be done w/ discipline. A lot of people also sub fat blocks for carb blocks (you can search that also).

If you haven't read this yet, might want to check it out. Also, do a search for crossfit journal 21. Very good resource for the zone. And, of course, read one of Dr. Sear's zone books.

WFS http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-diet.html
Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
Tom Seryak

Profile:

To Jason...
I have read up on the zone from the article in the crossfit journal. Although, I do not have the article in front of me, so my memory could be serving me wrong. From what I remember, the complex carbohydrates that I mentioned (brown rice, oatmeal, whole grains) are listed as "less desirable" or "undesirable" carbohydrates on the list of foods. I'm not trying to be right, just asking a question...
Old 06-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
Jason Lin

Profile:

Paleo Zone is the rolls-royce of diet around here but there's plenty of people who just eats zone and gets fantastic results.

When you get a chance, look again at the recipes in CFJ21, you will see plenty of recipes using grains (lots of bread, actually ... too much for my taste). Same goes for any of the recipes in Sears' books and website.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Thanks Jason I just ordered the article and will take another look!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
Jennie Yundt

Profile:

I wish I could speak super-intelligently about nutrition, but I can only speak from personal experience. I follow a paleo lifestyle, and I have never had as much energy as I do now! I eliminated grains, dairy and sugar, and my body loves it. :-) I never lack energy, and I have never felt my performance suffer. If anything, my performance suffers after I eat a sandwich instead of a salad.

(insert scientific explanation here)