CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-29-2004, 04:03 AM   #1
David Mcevoy

Profile:
I apologise in advance for the seemingly obvious question, but how much will sleep deprivation affect my ability to do sport and the WOD? Obviously there is an issue of lack of mental focus, poor recovery and aligned limited energy levels (lethargy), but I was wondering if anyone knew of any data that could quantify the expected effect on athletics performance and how it would degrade given extended periods of limited sleep? The reason I am asking the question is that I have currently been surviving on 3 - 4 hours of broken sleep each night for the past 3 weeks (arrival of my second child and an ill wife), and not surprisingly I have noticed a drop off in my WOD performance.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
Paul Kayley

Profile:
There is no point in flogging a dead horse. Rest as much as you can, or you risk being ill too. With every day of poor sleep you edge closer and closer to physical breakdown. You will become so stressed that you'll either get ill or injured. Dont add to that stress by exercising, unless it is gentle recuperative work.

Be careful, and good luck.