CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #31
Chris Catto

Profile:
Re: abstinence and athletic performance

I heard this idea floating around the GloboGym that I used to work out in. They said that sex or masturbation would drop testosterone levels thus being a detriment to the workout...
Well in my opinion, MAYBE if you had sex or ah, well, you know, right before your workout you may see some effect but not that big of a deal. I think you would see much more of a loss due to wearing yourself out (no pun intended) more so than losing the gains from a lowered testosterone level.
I am probobly going to have to have tests done soon for fertility reasons. If it is shocking and I remember I will let you know.

For what its worth, my wife and I both do Crossfit and our sex life has gotten better as we continue to Crossfit. Maybe TMI but seems appropriate.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:28 AM   #32
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
so, what about the idea of getting plenty but just holding back your "wod", and only releasing once a week?
Blue balls is no fun.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #33
Matt Trussell

Profile:

There was an article in Muscle and Fitness November 2009 that spoke to a similar concept for raising T levels. It noted that before heading to the gym you could er..work yourself up but notÖerÖgo anywhere with it. This would elevate your T levels for your workout, thus promoting muscle growth and all the other good things T does for us. It never said anything about abstaining from activity otherwise, just this procedure pre workout. Pretty interesting, canít say Iíve ever tried it though.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #34
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

In regards to Gracies comment in the movie 'Choke' I would simply reply that I am not a horse.
And by way of experiment I decided that this morning was not a good morning to be celibate. Shortly after I went an did the workout I had set for me today which was "Jerry" off main site. (I follow 2 days behind main site so I can program strength exercises appropriately and not screw over tomorrows workout). 1 Mile run, 2000m row, 1 mile run. An excellent workout to test my experiment with as it requires a lot of stamina and mind game gusto, not necessarily just lifting heavy things. I came in with a time of 23:18. Not necessarily the best time as some people did it in 18 minutes. But from what I observed I was above average, an since I've only been crossfitting since November, which is 6 months plus a bit now I'm extremely happy with my time. In no way do I think release this morning affected my time, I felt tougher than ever today.
Personally I think it's more of a placebo thing. Like how when your going for a big snatch you approach it the exact same way every time an if you miss something in your little pre-lift routine it messes with your head and throws you off. If some dude thinks that something, be it sex or whatever other thing, will affect his game, then it will because he's allowed it to. That's just my opinion though, an I'm no psych or anything.
And Arnold is amazing.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #35
Lan Halbert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Shaw View Post
rickson gracie in his movie "choke" said he went weeks with out sex before fights and compared himself to a race horse. basically, saying after the horse has gotten some they don't "compete" with the same furry as before. you can see his wife in the background just shaking her head, pretty funny.
Thanks a lot for the movie recommendation Because of YOU I stayed up until 3am watching "Choke" on youtube and wake up late for work.

Awesome movie though
Old 05-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #36
Jeff Wilson

Profile:

The mental aspect of having regular intercourse may also play a role in improved performance, or the sometimes built up aggression when regular intercourse isn't available. Sometimes that aggression is also just tension, for whatever reason (I'm not a doctor so do not know why it happens).
Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #37
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Blue balls is no fun.
blue balls is a myth made up to convince high school girls to give it up.

HS meathead: "You cant leave me like this now, after getting me all worked up, I'll get blue balls!"

HS prom queen wannabe: "Aw, poor little thing! ok, but just dont get me preggers!"
Old 05-12-2010, 02:17 AM   #38
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

True, but it's no fun to be denied once your almost at the point of no return.

Fun isn't the word, abuse is more like it. Call it physical or mental, whichever.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:35 AM   #39
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Blair,

You normally have to pay extra for that sort of thing
Old 05-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #40
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

So is this just limited to sex or does self gratification have the same effect? I mean I'm married and all so that's not a problem but she is 7 months pregnant and after she has the baby....well umm....ya know....for 6 weeks and all.....