CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
Andy Beaulieu

Profile:
Re: abstinence and athletic performance

As a single male, I would very much like to currently know what it feels like to have a non-abstinent workout (or 400). For comparison's sake, of course.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

Abstinent workouts?

Pass.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Walters View Post
Abstinent workouts?

Pass.
lol. Agreed. What is this Bull Durham?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

some folks like a "release" before competition, helps them relax. Forrest Griffin MMA fighter for one.
Whatever works for you I guess.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
John Harris

Profile:

My totally anectodal perspective is this.

It's been over ten years since I read it but, in Eat To Win by Dr. Robert Haas he claims to know a sprinter who set a world record 30 minutes after masturbating.

As an amateur boxer I never believed (although I was told) that one should abstain from any sexual activity for two weeks before a fight. Once in particular I lost a fight where I was disqualified for holding because I was so totally exhausted. I remember this instance because I was NOT abstinent for the two days prior to the fight and it seemed to me at the time to make a difference.

I have known hundreds of amateur and professional boxers in my life and there is a wide range of beliefs and superstitions regarding this topic.

1. If I recall correctly, Mike Tyson claims to have been abstinent for something like 5 years during the beginning of his career.

2. Sugar Ray Leonard was on the two week schedule.

3. Oscar De La Hoya claimed that pregame sex was bad but never committed to a time limit.

Here is an interesting and WFS link: http://askville.amazon.com/boxers-ch...questId=185398

Quote:
Amanda Smith: Well in your review, have you found that sex before competition results in any physiological changes that would reduce your athletic abilities?

Ian Shrier: No, we didnít. And we didnít actually expect that it would. If you think about the amount of energy that most couples expend when theyíre having sex, itís pretty minor in comparison to a lot of the other activities that we do. And certainly we would not have expected the effects to carry over into the next day, which they didnít. And none of the previous people who were proposing that it had an effect, ever said that it would make you weaker, the idea is it made you less angry, less frustrated, and as one of the runners said, ĎHappy people donít run a 3í47Ē mile'.
So maybe in sports where being "on edge" is an advantage abstinence could be a help. I'd like to see a real study.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:19 AM   #16
David Knutzen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Beaulieu View Post
As a single male, I would very much like to currently know what it feels like to have a non-abstinent workout (or 400). For comparison's sake, of course.
As a single male deployed to Iraq, I would be very interested in the same experiment. Anyone care to help us out?

For science, of course.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #17
Ian Nigh

Profile:

So research seems to indicate that abstaining from ejaculation will tend to elevate testosterone levels for about 6 days, after which T levels will severely drop if ejaculation is not achieved. Research has also shown that intercourse elevates testosterone levels generally.
This would suggest to me that it is beneficial to engage in intercourse as often as possible, but only ejaculate about once a week or so...
Old 05-09-2010, 02:49 AM   #18
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
This would suggest to me that it is beneficial to engage in intercourse as often as possible, but only ejaculate about once a week or so...

either that, or you smash your head through a brick wall...
Old 05-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #19
Jesse Gray

Profile:

I saw a show on NGC (or similar channel, might have been TLC) a while back about this very question and the results they got seemed to be in line with those of the studies posted earlier. They found that an increase in sexual activity resulted in increased testosterone production and improved athletic performance or in other words, abstinence bad, sex good.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #20
John Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
. . . sex good.
Which is the result we were all hoping for anyway.