CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-19-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
My little brother is an EMT he works crazy hours and doesn't have much time too work out. He wants to do his workouts in his apartment he's got a Power Tower ( It's a stable base with a pullup and dip bar) jump rope, power blocks set with each DB going from 5-85 I think, and he's saving up for a rower ( my advice). It's not a bad set up I think, and if he got OLY bars and plates and few other things he's be set to do Crossfit. I put him through a few Crossfit style workouts and he says it's not for him. He told me he justs wants to be in good shape and "look good for the ladies", he showed me a book of the workout he plans to do. I know it's no Crossfit but it doesn't look that bad. Athletes Performance looks like a cool facility. It's funny though with all the money they got, i'm sure they ain't got nothing on HQ.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/157954908X/002-1957961-6243242?v=g lance
http://www.athletesperformance.com/
Old 05-19-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
Oh I forgot he thinking about picking a routine for this book too :http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/073604681X/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/002-1 957961-6243242?v=glance&s=books
again no Crossfit but compared to most of the body building crap out there not bad. Also it will probably help him build a good foundation of fitness if he ever decides to do Crossfit.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I have the book and DVD. You are correct, the facility is incredible looking and the price for training there requires a 2nd mortgage.

To look good for the ladies, Joseph should do the girls...the CrossFit girls of course. Helen, Grace, Elizabeth...those girls. The Core Performance program is good and has some very functional "Core" training exercises. He will benefit from that program without a doubt and your're right, it will prepare him well for CrossFit. He will gain much more in a much wider variety of areas, in a much shorter time with CrossFit and your faster development with CF training will lead the way.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
Dan Silver

Profile:

I had similar time constraints when I was an EMT/Paramedic. I wish that I was 'Crossfit Aware' when I was still lugging bodies. One of the great benefits of this stuff is that the workouts can, mostly, be done in less than twenty minutes. That works very well with the public service schedule.

-D.