CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Taylor Howe

Profile:
Gaining... hold the fat

Hey team!

My name is Taylor (m), and I have been Crossfitting for about 7 months on and off (I play baseball so I took some time off during season as to not overload.) I ate strict paleo for about 4 months and saw pretty solid results in terms of my goals at the time. I have always had a little extra on the mid section, and was trying to get rid of that (still am to some extent). At my heaviest I was 5'10 190 and right now I am about 5'10 160. The reason I strayed away a little bit from strict paleo is because I was losing too much weight. I was down to 150 but have gained roughly ten pounds back after coming home from college. I would like to eventually get up to about 170. I know the biggest thing in gaining weight is to just eat more, but I am a little nervous seeing people recommend 3500 to 4000 calories a day as gaining bad weight seems to be a little too easy for me. If I eat 4000 calories a day I feel like I would blow up like a balloon (and not in a good way). I have worked super hard to lose my gut, and am not real keen on seeing it grow back.

(I'll apologize now for this long post)

My nutrition for a day typically looks like this
Breafast (7:30)
1 Whole egg
1/2 cup egg whites
1/4 cup Cottage Cheese
1 piece of ezekial toast with 2 tablespoons PB2 and 1 tablespoon almond butter

Lunch (11:30)
Subway Oven Roasted Chicken salad with an egg white patty
(all the veggies) with oil and vinegar

Lunch 2 (3:00)
99% fat free turkey burger (8.75 oz) in lettuce wrap
2 tbs hummus
1/2 cup mixed frozen berries
Broccoli

Snack
3 cups Fit Popcorn (pretty rare occurence)

(workout)

Dinner (7:30)
Perdue Chicken breast skinless boneless (10 oz) cooked in about a half tbsp coconut oil
Green beans 1.5 cups
Brussel Sprouts (about 6 sprouts)

Snack (9 ish)
Fat free greek yogurt (1 cup)
pb2 (2 tbsp)
Almond butter (1tbsp)
Mixed berries (2 cups)

So I am looking for some thoughts on this kind of nutrition (shooting for about 2500 a day) and some tips on shredding that last bit of lower belly flub.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Gaining... hold the fat

The best way to gain mass without getting fat is to cycle your calories and carbs. Doesn't like carb backloading and renegade diet work very well for that.

And you also have to do a good strength program.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Michael Dries

Profile:

Also you need to 1) find out what you need to maintain and 2) increase your intake slowly.

Stair stepping the calories up... say 500 more a day everyone 2 week or so and evaluating will provide much better results than suddenly cramming in extra calories without tracking your progress.

The Renegade diet is a great program but you're going to have to count calories if you want to gain weight with as little muscle as possible.

Your training program will make a difference as well. Stick to a strength program and don't metcon all your calories away. What are you current 1rm for squat, dead and bench or press?

And it's going to take time, won't happen over night. Patience is the hardest part.

Last edited by Michael Dries; 06-19-2013 at 05:15 PM..
Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

Just to give you a comparison.
My Girlfriend is 5 foot 10, 155 pounds. She has a visible 6 pack. She eats paleo. And she eats about 3200 calories per day.

In my opinion 2500 cals is too low. Dont look at food as the enemy. You are an athlete, and you need fuel to train and perform. Like said before, step your calories up in small increments. But without adding calories, you wont gain weight. Its plain and simple. If you are hungry, eat. IF you play college baseball, then you are doing some sort of training for your sport on top of strength+conditioning. You need fuel.

Get enough sleep. *this is extremely important.
Train like an animal towards your goals.
Eat unprocessed food in the proper ratios.
Keep the alcohol out of your system.
Repeat.

Also, I highly recommend doing a 7 day diary of your food+liquid intake.Count everything. By the look of things you are under consuming CHO's pretty badly, and over consuming Protein. Your body needs CHO to utilize as energy. Like I said, count everything. Food, liquid, oils for cooking, extracurricular activities, and on top of that keep track of your sleep schedule. Come back to the boards with all the information and im sure people could help you tweak things. Use myfitnesspal.com(WFS).
Old 06-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Taylor Howe

Profile:

Thanks for the replies...

The only max I have is bench at 190. I have been dealing with a hip injury for the last 6 months so I haven't been able to do hardly any squatting (still get my legs in with some machines which has been less than satisfying). If I had to guess I would put my squat at about 310 and deadlift about 325. And I try to stay away from too much heavy over the head lifting as I don't want to risk shoulder injury from baseball. I currently am using MyFitnesspal, what macros would you recommend? I think.. I have a pretty solid strength program. Monday chest and back, Tuesday legs and abs, Wednesday arms, thursday crossfit metcon with some light chest, Friday shoulders and abs, saturday crossfit metcon with some added legs or arms, sunday rest
Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Howe View Post
Thanks for the replies...

The only max I have is bench at 190. I have been dealing with a hip injury for the last 6 months so I haven't been able to do hardly any squatting (still get my legs in with some machines which has been less than satisfying). If I had to guess I would put my squat at about 310 and deadlift about 325. And I try to stay away from too much heavy over the head lifting as I don't want to risk shoulder injury from baseball. I currently am using MyFitnesspal, what macros would you recommend? I think.. I have a pretty solid strength program. Monday chest and back, Tuesday legs and abs, Wednesday arms, thursday crossfit metcon with some light chest, Friday shoulders and abs, saturday crossfit metcon with some added legs or arms, sunday rest
Why have you not resolved your hip injury in 6 months?

I don't think your strength program is as solid as you think if you still have a hip problem 6 months after an injury and you think overhead pressing is more likely to injure your shoulders than bench pressing...

What about form/technique? How do you know if you are doing movements correctly?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Taylor Howe

Profile:

The hip injury is baseball related and I have started that training program after. I by no means am set in that nor do I think it's at all perfect. I am relatively new to the "fully committed fitness world" I guess, and am just trying to learn as much as I can. But yea the hip thing has been a huge frustration. I have had an MRI arthrogram, x rays, and a cortisone shot to get me through the second half of my baseball season. Right now I am doing phsycial therapy and a couple other things the doctor recommended. They think it is a small tear in my labrum but not sure if thats the main problem.

I have never had a problem with bench press and I have been coached on form, but since most of the training I have had has come from people in the baseball world I am just less experienced with overhead movements, so I just haven't maxed that lift. Basically, I am sure of my form on the bench press, but not sure enough on overhead press to max. I am starting to work it into my routine though so we'll see how it goes.

I just did some reading up on carb back loading which looks super appealing so I think I am going to give that a shot. The first ten days is definitely going to be a challenge!

Last edited by Taylor Howe; 06-19-2013 at 09:27 PM..
Old 06-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #8
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael E Tancini View Post
Just to give you a comparison.
My Girlfriend is 5 foot 10, 155 pounds. She has a visible 6 pack. She eats paleo. And she eats about 3200 calories per day.

In my opinion 2500 cals is too low. Dont look at food as the enemy. You are an athlete, and you need fuel to train and perform. Like said before, step your calories up in small increments. But without adding calories, you wont gain weight. Its plain and simple. If you are hungry, eat. IF you play college baseball, then you are doing some sort of training for your sport on top of strength+conditioning. You need fuel.

Get enough sleep. *this is extremely important.
Train like an animal towards your goals.
Eat unprocessed food in the proper ratios.
Keep the alcohol out of your system.
Repeat.

Also, I highly recommend doing a 7 day diary of your food+liquid intake.Count everything. By the look of things you are under consuming CHO's pretty badly, and over consuming Protein. Your body needs CHO to utilize as energy. Like I said, count everything. Food, liquid, oils for cooking, extracurricular activities, and on top of that keep track of your sleep schedule. Come back to the boards with all the information and im sure people could help you tweak things. Use myfitnesspal.com(WFS).
A lot of depends on your bodyfat level. Someone that is 170# with 8% bodyfat can get away with eating more than someone that is 170# with 20% bodyfat without getting fat. That's why your girlfriend. An eat 3200 calories.

If you want to gain mass without getting fat, you should start as lean as you can (under 15% BF).
Old 06-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
Adam Michaud

Profile:

Coming from a fellow baseball player who has gone thru the torn labrum (and surgery to fix it), you may want to cool it on the bench press. Last time I heard it was extremely taxing on the labrum and rotator cuff, even with good form. If you all ready have an injury to that area, you might want to focus on the rehab for it and give that some time to heal. Talk to your physical therapist or a doctor, but I know for me, bench was one of the last things I was allowed to do as I ramped back up after surgery.

As far as the labrum injury and overhead movements go, it took a while to get used to. I always felt my shoulder was unstable when I had weights overhead, specifically OHS. Presses and jerks made me nervous too, but the coaches I work with drill form very well, and it was just a matter of time until I developed the comfort to start pushing it a little bit. My biggest problem was making sure I had "active shoulders" during those lifts.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
Taylor Howe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Why have you not resolved your hip injury in 6 months?

I don't think your strength program is as solid as you think if you still have a hip problem 6 months after an injury and you think overhead pressing is more likely to injure your shoulders than bench pressing...

What about form/technique? How do you know if you are doing movements correctly?
Just out of curiosity, if you were putting together a strength program for yourself, what resources would you use. I was planning on looking into the CFSB program before my hip injury, but since I can't really do squats, I don't think it would be very beneficial.