CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Jerred Moon

Profile:
Functional Movements/Strength vs. Bodybuilding???

Ok to start off. I am new to crossfit, just started 5 weeks ago and I started with the CrossFit Strength Bias program. I love crossfit and this program I am doing very much.

However, since becoming a member of this forum and poking around on other crossfit websites I can tell there is a certain sense of resentment towards bodybuilding. I saw a picture on a crossfit website of a guy doing preacher curls with "functional movement??" posted below it.

I understand the principles of crossfit and bodybuilding. I have 5 years background of bodybuilding style lifting, but was never a competitor or anything like that.

I just don't know why people have a bad view of bodybuilding style lifting. It can help a lot of people out. Like I said I started the CFSB program right out of the gates and it says you should have 1+ years experience of crossfit. I haven't had any problems. I never did Olympic lifting and so this is kind of new to me...but it only takes 30sec to watch a video of instruction, 10 practice reps with light weight, then I'm on to moving a good amount of weight. I think having a good amount of strength and coordination makes crossfit possible no matter the experience.

I do not think I am amazing at crossfit or bodybuilding so don't get me wrong here. I just know that because of my bodybuilding background I will not have any problems with any weights posted on the main site.

So while all movements are not functional in bodybuilding, I would say that most of it, if not all are useful for crossfitters. This is certainly true if you cant move the recommended weights on the main site.

I know there is the Starting Strength program for people who have this goal too, but if you modify this program just a little...its similar to bodybuilding.

Well that's all I have...Please let me know your thoughts and concerns. Just know I am not bashing crossfit AT ALL. I love CF and you could call me a crossfit convert lol. I'll probably be doing this stuff for the rest of my life.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Functional Movements/Strength vs. Bodybuilding???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerred Moon View Post
I do not think I am amazing at crossfit or bodybuilding so don't get me wrong here. I just know that because of my bodybuilding background I will not have any problems with any weights posted on the main site.

So while all movements are not functional in bodybuilding, I would say that most of it, if not all are useful for crossfitters. This is certainly true if you cant move the recommended weights on the main site.
How's your Fran time? Moving 95# once is a lot different than moving it 45 times.

There's certainly an advantage to being strong. Most people here would just say that bodybuilding isn't as efficient a way to get there as, say, a program like Starting Strength.

Katherine
Old 04-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
I just don't know why people have a bad view of bodybuilding style lifting.
"...bodybuilding is men on a stage in their underwear wearing brown paint showing other men their muscles. It is training for appearance only, and at the contest level requires a degree of vanity, narcissism, and self-absorption that I find distasteful and odd. " - Mark Rippetoe

If that is your goal for weight lifting (body building), go for it. Or is your goal to increase your strength and not worry if you have six pack abs? Bodybuilding and strength training tend to be two different things.

If you stick with the five basic lifts (squat, bench press, dead lift, press, and power clean), you are doing functional movements that will build strength.

I'll add I'm only novice at this stuff and learning tons of information, this is what I've picked up so far. I'm always open to hearing other viewpoints though.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Jerred Moon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
How's your Fran time?
Katherine
I have only done Fran one time and I got a 5:25 (did it chest to bar no kipping b/c I wasnt great at kipping at the time) which I know is not a great time at all. I am timing it again at the end of the 6 week CFSB cycle and shooting for sub 4:30.

Like I said I do not think I am a great crossfitter so no need to bash the time. That was my first time ever at only 2 two weeks into crossfit.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Jerred Moon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
"...bodybuilding is men on a stage in their underwear wearing brown paint showing other men their muscles. It is training for appearance only, and at the contest level requires a degree of vanity, narcissism, and self-absorption that I find distasteful and odd. " - Mark Rippetoe

If that is your goal for weight lifting (body building), go for it. Or is your goal to increase your strength and not worry if you have six pack abs? Bodybuilding and strength training tend to be two different things.

If you stick with the five basic lifts (squat, bench press, dead lift, press, and power clean), you are doing functional movements that will build strength.

I'll add I'm only novice at this stuff and learning tons of information, this is what I've picked up so far. I'm always open to hearing other viewpoints though.
Haha I love the quote by Rippetoe, that hilarious. Yea I know the difference between bodybuilding and weightlifting. I was definitely more on the BB side. I followed BB diets and workouts. But the main reason I switched to crossfit is b/c of what you said...I really didn't care about having the six pack abs. I workout for self satisfaction not vanity. My goals now are all crossfit related with decreasing time on the benchmark workouts and, I haven't maxed yet, but want to get 1000#CFT.

I just can't bash bodybuilding b/c it got me to where I am. I went from 5'8 137# to 5'11 200# from BB (the growth in inches had nothing to do with BB, just me growing up). I am currently around 190# but still maintaining good strength from the CFSB program.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I have only done Fran one time and I got a 5:25 (did it chest to bar no kipping b/c I wasnt great at kipping at the time) which I know is not a great time at all. I am timing it again at the end of the 6 week CFSB cycle and shooting for sub 4:30.

Like I said I do not think I am a great crossfitter so no need to bash the time. That was my first time ever at only 2 two weeks into crossfit.
Oh, I'm not bashing the time, just pointing out that there's more to it than strength. In fact, your time proves my point as it was better than the powerlifter who did his first Fran at our affiliate yesterday. He's insanely strong: the first 21 thrusters looked like he was using PVC, he finished the first 21 pullups at 1:44 ... and then died because his oxygen debt caught up to him. When I left, he was on his way outside to puke after the round of 15.

Katherine
Old 04-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Jerred Moon

Profile:

Just out of curiosity what is a good Fran time?

I only see the Fran times from the guys who go to the games...all sub 3min. While I want to get there I know it will take some time. Should I be in the 3min range for a respectable Fran?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Just out of curiosity what is a good Fran time?

I only see the Fran times from the guys who go to the games...all sub 3min. While I want to get there I know it will take some time. Should I be in the 3min range for a respectable Fran?
I'd say anything under 5:00 is more than respectable. 3:00 is into firebreather territory.

Katherine
Old 04-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Jerred Moon

Profile:

Thanks Katherine. One big thing I do love about crossfit is the community mutual respect, especially on the message boards.

I posted some stuff about crossfit on a bodybuilding forum and was all but banned from the website. Thanks for the feedback so far guys!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

To give a little more anecdotal evidence to Katherine's points, last year I saw my Fran time go from 5:00 to 4:08 to 4:00 to 3:17 to 2:57 over an 8 month period during which I gained 13lbs and didn't get particularly better as far my metcon went. I'm convinced the difference was the little bit of extra strength work I did, which resulted in my thruster 1RM going from 170 to 180 to 205lbs. That means 95lb thrusters then became 46% of my 1RM as opposed to 56% of my 1RM, which makes a big difference in how many times you have to set the bar down because you feel like your heart is about to explode. Those relatively small strength gains (with consistent metcon capacity) meant I could hit all the thrusters and pullups unbroken, with only a little wasted time catching my breath during transitions. Getting stronger also means you're not having to struggle as much to maintain good form, and good form makes your movement far more efficient than sloppy form.