CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Tom Ellison

Profile:
Hey guys, the last couple weeks I've been toying with the idea of trying to get my strength up so I have the "engine" for the WODs (ala "Diane" - 225# DLs for 21-15-9). I've toyed with doing a 3x per week Starting Strength type thing, or adding one lift every day before the WOD, or doing an ME Black box style thing. So I have two questions. First, should I even do this? My CFT is in the mid 600s, I've been doing CF for about 7 months, but doing pretty intense training for several years. So if I just stick to the WOD and/or add lift before the WOD on certain days, will I see the strength gains I want? And second, what scheme would be best (ME/BB, Starting Strength, etc.) Thanks all.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Tom Ellison

Profile:
I should probably add that I'm 20 yrs old, 6 ft, 170-175#.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
Brandon Oto

Profile:
My Total is just a bit higher than yours and I've been CFing for just a bit longer. (I'm also 20, 6 ft, and 165 pounds. Are we twins?) I'm taking a month off to build strength as well.

I'm using the PM mass gain program. Use whatever you're interested in; as long as you're doing good functional stuff, the important factors seem to be eating enough, sleeping enough, and resting enough.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:
I would say yeah if you're having trouble completing workouts like Diane.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:
Tom,

I would be inclined to go with an ME/Black Box program. Starting Strength is great if you are, in fact, just starting. But if you want to keep the MetCon gains you've seen with CrossFit, SS won't cut it.

With all due respect to Brandon, a month isn't going to make a huge difference in a intermediate lifter's strength gains. To really get where you want to go, a CF Total in the mid-800's would be a nice goal. Adding 200 pounds to your total is going to take a while but mixing CF with the ME/BB will do it. Your MetCon may suffer a little but nearly as much as if you just went to a straight SS program.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
Tom Ellison

Profile:
John - What you said is pretty similar to what I was thinking. I would rather have my strength gains come gradually and maintain some kind of balance with metcon and whatnot. That's why I was leaning more towards the ME/BB approach or some other way of supplementing CF with certain lifts.

That actually brings up another somewhat random question I had. In the ME/BB scheme, the 2nd day of CF is replaced with a ME day. I've heard people ask before about doing the WOD + a supplemental lift and people seem to start crying out "overtraining" quickly. But at an affiliate gym there is typically a warmup, a strength/or skill section, and then a metcon workout in each class. So it doesn't seem like doing some kind of WOD + 1 lift per day" type scheme would be any more ambitious than doing CF group classes. Thoughts?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:
John -- I didn't want to be away from metcon for longer than that. I'm already getting a little antsy.

It's a bit of an experiment and I'm putting on some pretty decent weight. In the future if I need another boost I'll probably go with black box to stay on top of my game. I've been totally in bulking mode; I needed the mass.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
Alex Nisetich

Profile:
Tom, I don't know much about the skill session at CF affiliates (none in my area), but I doubt it would be very intense except for the best conditioned athletes, those who can do the warmup and WOD without breaking a sweat. I started doing scaled WODs in April, and I do many of them now as prescribed, but still not everything (that Angie is a killer). I have been following the ME Black Box scheme for the last two weeks and am currently finishing my first 24-day cycle. I'm 19, 5'9" and 175#, close to you in everything except height. My CFT is 785, so I am not really in the same place in strength, but I am already seeing benefits from the Black Box. My deadlift 1RM has increased by 30 pounds in a matter of weeks, which is really incredible and far more than I expected.
It takes a long time to get serious strength, and at this point I'm probably only getting neural gains, but still I think Black Box is very effective.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
Michael Tong

Profile:
Tom,

FWIW, I am on the tail end of my current ME/BB cycle, which I do Mon-Wed-Fri; I do one of the "girls" on Tue. and Sat; Thur. and Sun. are either rest, light activity (such as long walks with the doggies) or stretching/progressions.

My CFT in January was 695 (I am 39 y.o., 5'7", and now around 167, ~10% BF). Around March, my CFT was 765, which was the last time I tested for it. If I were hitting on all cylinders, and matched all of my current individual PRs on my next CFT, it'd be comfortably in the low 800s.

Prior to this ME BB cycle, I did 10 weeks of 5x5s on big lifts, along with the girls for metcon a couple times a week; very similar to current cycle.

I did strength plus WOD on the same days in Jan and part of Feb and quickly got burned out. My current scheme seems to work for me regarding building strength, metcon, and flexibility.

Give it a go for 8-10 weeks and see...
Old 07-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Tom Ellison

Profile:
So do you do a full strength workout on Mon-Wed-Fri or do you do one lift on each day and rotate in different upper, lower, and total body movements like the ME/BB plan?