CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
Steve Forman

Profile:
long bike ride

cross posted:

Tomorrow I will go a long road bike ride. My first in at least 6 months. We are doing about 40 miles.

so now Im torn op a little (mentally) about how to eat. Ive been zoning/paleo for the whole time with IF. should eat for this ride the night before, or get up early and have a breakfast that has more carbs than normal.

I also heard about some amino's and vit C that can limit the muscle loss! that true.

Thanks

steve
Old 08-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Tereza Ohley

Profile:
Re: long bike ride

Bananas or natural dried fruit and almonds/nuts are paleo and have a similar nutritional profile as preservative-laden nutrition bars in terms of macros for if you want to eat during the ride. I'll let the nutritional experts speak on pre and post ride nutrition.

How long is this ride? Danielle and I are doing a 50 miler and I think there's a brunch stop at the 25 mile point. My plan is to load up on fruit and a little protein (since my understanding is the body cannot digest some but not as much protein as normal during exercise.)

And get to bed! If you're gonna ride tomorrow you need SLEEP

Last edited by Tereza Ohley; 08-08-2008 at 10:14 PM..
Old 08-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Mike Prevost

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Forman View Post
cross posted:

Tomorrow I will go a long road bike ride. My first in at least 6 months. We are doing about 40 miles.

so now Im torn op a little (mentally) about how to eat. Ive been zoning/paleo for the whole time with IF. should eat for this ride the night before, or get up early and have a breakfast that has more carbs than normal.

I also heard about some amino's and vit C that can limit the muscle loss! that true.

Thanks

steve
Steve

Hard call as I have no idea about your fitness. Normally I don't eat anything during rides under 3 hours (that would get me over 60 miles generally). If you are less fit, you would want to have something with you just in case. I would more or less eat normally beforehand with just a bit more carbs than usual. Then I would use gatorade during the ride for carbs or just water and pack something easy to eat on the ride (carbs). I would be cautious about fruits and nuts. They can be harder to digest while you are exercising and can cause some stomach issues. Personally, I can eat anything and ride but some people have more sensitive stomachs and cannot handle fruit and especially anything with fat during a ride.

The more fit you are, the fewer carbs you will need for a ride like this. Since you have not been riding for a while, you should plan on consuming something, but likely will not need much. Like I said, gatorade in your bottles would probably do the trick.

Don't worry about losing muscle on one 40 mile ride.

Mike
Old 08-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Evan Bradley

Profile:

This summer I ran the Rock and Roll Marathon in San Diego, CA. My first. The morning of the race I ate a regular 4 block zone meal. Then during the race I ate a two block snack that consisted of 2 ounces of chicken, 1 cup of grapes, and 12 almonds. I ate it at about mile 11 and slowed down to eat it all. I was fine for the rest of the race and didnt have any stomach problems during or after the race. I only drank water as well during the stops. I got this method actually from the level one cert when they started to discuss nutrition. The instructor began to talk about Brian Mackenzie who does crossfit endurance. He does ultra marathons and marathons as a professional and choses to eat chicken and hard boiled egg, etc during his runs. That is where I got my advice from. Just something different.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
Ed Hamilton

Profile:

On longer rides I usually like solid food that is easily packable like Cliff bars & powerbars. Quaker makes an oatmeal bar that is pretty good also. If you plan on riding really hard, gels may be the way to go, since they are easier to consume & digest. Anything with a chocolate type coating is worse than useless since it will melt & be a huge mess.

If the ride is really long (>7 or so hours) I LOVE a king size Payday bar! I think I like them so much because I had one at around the 8 hour mark of a 12 hour MTB race once & it really made me feel better.

I read an article about what the European riders eat during rides like the Tour de France & it seems like that like to eat little sandwiches with meat & cream cheese. I guess that has a come carbs, protein & fat.

One tip I can give you is to carry a bit more food than you think you will need. It's always better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it. Bonking like mad an hour or two from home is no fun!
Old 08-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Steve Forman

Profile:

This is some great advice. thanks everyone!!! So it sounds as no really does anything before the ride to prepare. Maybe a slight extra carb load.

So i am Back. Worried for nothing. I seem to remember 40 miles being harder than that. Go!!!! Crossfit!!!! I did great, felt great the whole ride. 40 miles, 2hrs 21 mins.

Pre ride, 1 hour before. I ate about a 2 block meal and added extra; 1/2 a mango and 1/2 a trotilla.

During the ride: I am not a fan of Gatorade. so I brought 1/2 banana (didnt eat it) water and one small bottle of Powerbar, endurance drink. I used that about half way thru. I never did hit a wall and felt i could climb some more. I have to say today was the best I ever felt on a ride.

Post ride, 45 minutes after. i ate another 2 block mean and added some extra carbs again.

I must say post ride i am still feeling a little sluggish, not sure If I am replishing enough, I have downed all the water and have eaten again 3.5 hours later.

So what do you think. Was that Okay or should I change something.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
Mike Prevost

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Forman View Post
This is some great advice. thanks everyone!!! So it sounds as no really does anything before the ride to prepare. Maybe a slight extra carb load.

So i am Back. Worried for nothing. I seem to remember 40 miles being harder than that. Go!!!! Crossfit!!!! I did great, felt great the whole ride. 40 miles, 2hrs 21 mins.

Pre ride, 1 hour before. I ate about a 2 block meal and added extra; 1/2 a mango and 1/2 a trotilla.

During the ride: I am not a fan of Gatorade. so I brought 1/2 banana (didnt eat it) water and one small bottle of Powerbar, endurance drink. I used that about half way thru. I never did hit a wall and felt i could climb some more. I have to say today was the best I ever felt on a ride.

Post ride, 45 minutes after. i ate another 2 block mean and added some extra carbs again.

I must say post ride i am still feeling a little sluggish, not sure If I am replishing enough, I have downed all the water and have eaten again 3.5 hours later.

So what do you think. Was that Okay or should I change something.

Sounds like you did great! Seems like it worked out very well for you. I wouldn't change what works.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
Evan Bradley

Profile:

Thats awesome that you felt so great. The only thing that I would recommend is that you try to balance your carbs and protein as you are eating. I "think" that because you ate more carbs and it sounds like carbs that were high glycemic carbs and quickly entered your bloodstream and therefore that could be a reason that you were feeling sluggish. Purely just a suggestion that you may want to try out next time. I know people have any different opinions on diets. Just something to try.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
Wendy Nichols

Profile:

I hope you had a great bike ride.

I just did a 4-dayer of 30-40 miles of combined highway and trail (mountain biking) with gear. And last year did an 8-day 700 mile solo trip carrying about 35 lbs of gear.

The most important thing I hope you remembered is to drink water. And for anyone else thinking of doing a long day of cycling.... get a watch that has a timer you can set to repeat every 15 minutes. When the timer goes.... drink. In fact, I do this every day at my desk job. Drink Water, gaterade, V8... juice is generally too sweet and ich. Eat a little something every hour, fruit, nuts, bagel/peanutbutter, a breakfast wrap, hard boiled eggs... anything easy to pack . I loved tomatoes for their juicyness seemingly filled with electrolytes.

Don't overdo the eating. It's very hard to cycle with a full stomach. All you want to do is add fuel to your fire, not kill the flame.

I didn't lost muscle mass when cyclng. I retained it but in a leaner way. Crossfit has given me more power and the ability to go the distance.