CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-14-2008, 02:34 AM   #1
Jeff Chalfant

Profile:
best deals with fish oil brands

So two friends of mine, who don't know each other have recommended Pharmanex brand supplements. They are a MLM company.

I currently use Carlsons brand so I decided to run the numbers on this stuff.

Correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that most, if not all the benefit from fish oil or CLO (besides the extra a and d in clo) comes from EPA and DHA. Before switching to Carlson's I ran the numbers of some of the value brands such as Kirkland. By totaling epa and dha milligrams and figuring out how much is in the entire bottle and dividing it by price I got grams per dollar.

I get my Carlsons CLO on Amazon where it runs about $25 per bottle so it works out to be about 3.9 grams per dollar on average. A better value than value brands.

When I ran the numbers on Pharmanex marine oil it came out to be .66 grams per dollar! A huge difference when you take almost 3 grams a day as I do!

Carson's CLO = about $.25/gram epa+dha
Pharmanex Marine Oil= about $1.50/gram epa+dha

That's a savings of $1,368.75 per year

Anyone found a better deal?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
Parker Craig

Profile:
Re: best deals with fish oil brands

Check out trueprotein.com . They have 1000 1000mg fish oil capsules for $24.49. 180mg EPA, 120mg DHA per capsule. I don't know if my math is accurate but I think that beats Carson's by half!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
Jeff Evans

Profile:

Vitamin Shoppe usually has Carlsons CLO for $17-$19 for the 16.9oz bottle. In the store it's always more but just ask them to price match to their website.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

You have to remember that low dha and epa equals to low omegas 3 and inturn means low quality oil.

Low quality could mean high toxin content. so be wary of it.

My ex gf use to use the costco stuff and compared to my higher quality stuff.. she needed to take 8 -10 caps per day vs my 4 caps.

Gnc has a triple strength fish oil that is about 17 bucks for 120 caps.
that is high omeg 3 and two caps places the epa about 800 mg and epa about 400 mg.

the carlson is good stuff and is priced fairly for a decent amount amount of om3 dont remember the numbers but it was respectable.

the was a post last week where the guy bought his at walgreens's pharm and it was something called finest...
it was actually high omeg 3 values and very fair price 17 for 120 caps.

fish oil is fish oil is fish oil.
the low mg stuff is junk.. i fed my dog salmon oil that came from a fish pack plant in seattle and the omeg 3 were off the hook.. something 900mg and 600 per tsp and lipid of 2k mg .. very rich stuff.. I was almost tempted to start using my self.
otherwise you better off on just buying cans of sardines and anchovies and drink the packing oil.

the day i did linda.. i doubled my doses of fish for 2 days and not a single ache or pain or burn while i did it. For fight gone bad.. stay the usual dose and i was sore for the next day.

Gnc has buy one get 2nd at half price .. just freeze your excess caps.
carlsons has large volume deals.. again .. freeze them
Old 04-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Richard DeFrese

Profile:

I shop at energyfirst, but I am not a fish oil buyer. I have read the info and looks
like a quality product.

A blurb : "Each EnergyFirst fish oil capsule contains:

952 mg of Omega-3 Fatty Acids, comprising 625 mg EPA and 245 mg DHA - dosages that far exceed the amount of omega-3 fats of today's retail fish oil brands.**

Our fish oil is pharmaceutical grade and molecularly distilled to remove any residual heavy metals from the product.

*Although there is no established RDA for Omega-3 Fatty Acids (EPA and DHA), much of the medical research on the health benefits of these nutrients are conducted using amounts of 1,000 mg and up.

** Compared to Dr. Barry Sears
Omega RX Fish Oil capsules. "

I used some for a while.. having tendinitis but don't use it otherwise.
I eat some fish now and then.... I read it prevents muscle building.... or something of that nature.

Your take?

Rich