CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-16-2005, 06:09 PM   #1
Jason Berger

Profile:

This is going to be one of those weird threads that is hard to place, but since fitness is my goal I'm going to put it in fitness.

I'm 212-215lbs, six feet tall, 20% bodyfat (according to Tanita), 24 years old. I've never had a physical before, so I've set up an appointment for one.

What kind of tests should I ask my doctor to run?
Old 07-16-2005, 11:37 PM   #2
Rob McBee

Profile:
The Zone author, Dr. Sears, recommends an AA/EPA ratio test. They'll probably do the standard blood work. Having your HDL cholesterol at 60 or higher is supposed to be a good thing. Another thing Sears recommends is to take your triglyceride number divided by your HDL number. If the result is less than 2 then he says you're cool. You have to do that yourself but the blood test results should list all these numbers.

I've also read that a Homocystiene(sp?) Level test is a better predicator of health as compared to say total cholesterol number.

At 24 you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Probably want to lower bodyfat to at least 15%. Skin cancer is a big cancer threat for men so have 'em look you over for possible growths etc..

That's all the big issue stuff I can think of. More knowledgeable folks might have other suggestions. Good luck...
Old 07-19-2005, 03:48 PM   #3
Michael Hill

Profile:

I don't know if the Dr. is the best place to have your body fat checked, but try to get a more accurate measurement. Those scales are notoriously inaccurate expecially if you are "athletic" or in other words have a lot of muscle or low bf or both.

I agree with the previous post and in addition reccommend:

With cholesteral make sure when they tell you this they give you a break down of the types and ratio of cholesteral. A cholesteral of around 200 with an excellent ratio is better than one of 150 with a bad ratio, but the Dr. isn't goind to tell you that.

Hormone levels: testosterone, estrogen, cortisal, growth hormone, insulin, etc. Be careful because this can get expensive.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
James Falkner

Profile:
I had a cholesterol test done last year way before I started CF, and it was "high" - 220. I got good marks for a > 60 HDL reading, attributed to my LSD running routine, but the dr. burst my bubble by adding "... but that doesnt make up for the 3:1 ratio of triglicerides to HDL". So is a high HDL number a good thing, when the trigliceride number is high also?