CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #1
Mike Burgener

Profile:
http://mikesgym.org/articles/index.p...on&sectionID=5

got this from a buddy of mine this am. thought i would share it.

(w/f safe link to articles section on Mike's Gym)
Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Thanks for that Mike. As a father to be that made me laugh. Have been having a similar conversation with my mother and parent in laws. My parents did everything "wrong" in pregnancy and child care. I'm alive, in one piece, mentally stable and happy. I actually just had a tooth capped that I broke when I was 12.. Brings back memories.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Looking back on my childhood, I am shocked that I am still alive by today's standards.
Today, Social Services would have had a heart attack.:lol:
They would have put me and my brother in a foster home and my parents in jail. But hey, back in the 60's what we did was just good clean fun in addition to good parenting that helped to keep me out of jail.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Andrew Peterson

Profile:
I agree with most of that (can't say I wish we still had lead-based paint, and tuna didn't used to have the mercury that it does now). However, it is this culture of fear that bothers me the most. The media and our politicians (both sides) push it and we buy into it. I would like to believe that most of the governmental intervention is well-meaning-they don't want us to get hurt/hurt others-but instilling the fear that you/your children/your family are in imminent danger creates a negative culture that destroys those things that keep us safe. Communities disintegrate because everyone is isolated from everyone else, as people lock themselves inside their houses and only interact with/through technology. The neighborhoods that used to exist are gone because people are afraid to talk to each other and do things together. I think it was one of the Crossfit videos that said it best "Save the Artic"...chill out. Sorry for the rant, but this issue bothers me the most. I guess the best thing to do is get off the computer and go outside and play.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I actually used my CrossFit GPP the other day, and climbed a tree to get a ball a kid had kicked into a top branch. It brought back a lot of fond memories.

I'm coaching soccer, and found this drill on the internet called "Gotcha", where a kid in the middle of a defined box has a soccer ball, and there are a bunch of kids on the outside, and he or she has to kick them. Sort of like Dodgeball, except you're kicking the ball.

Well, the kid in the middle could never hit anyone, so I reversed it, and put the kids IN the box, and the kicker outside. My goodness, I had 15 kids having the time of their lives. They were laughing exactly the way kids are supposed to laugh. There's something about mild danger--like playing ding-dong-ditch (a friend of mine told me about it)--that is just fun.

This basic issue is the topic of a country song right now.

I will add, that our culture is still what we say it is. Yes, there are a lot of whiny people out there, but there are also a lot of people who feel the way we do. In fact, I would guess the majority of them, and the whiny ones get disproportionate attention because they make a lot of noise.

So, one obvious corrective is letting your kids take risks. To their credit, our city built what is apparently one of the best skate-trick parks in the country, and apparently it generates a very steady stream of ER visits, but nobody has died, to my knowledge, and I will guarantee a great deal of fun is had every day.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
Yael Grauer

Profile:
w/f s article entitled "A Nation of Wimps: Parental Hyperconcern May Be Why Kids Can't Cope"

http://health.msn.com/pregnancykids/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100142037&GT1 =8404
Old 05-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

One caveat to all this self-congratulation: we have what the statisticians might call a "selection bias" problem.

Everyone alive today and healthy enough to be doing CrossFit obviously survived their youths. The ones who didn't . . . the ones whose risk-taking (either by themselves or their parents) cost them their life or health . . . aren't here to read and/or write about it.

I survived the usual litany of bike crashes and whatnot . . . and two kids I knew didn't . . . died in what would now be a totally survivable car crash (with seat belts and airbags).

Personally, I'm grateful for seatbelts and airbags.

Risk-taking is interesting . . . a certain minimum seems to be necessary to feeling alive, to having a life that is worth living. Too much risk-taking, too many times, and one day you don't come home.

As an adult, you get to make that tradeoff. If you're a parent, you get to make it for your pre-teenage kids, too. After that, it's up to them.