CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-27-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
Michael Street

Profile:
My friend sent me a link to this post on DD.

He and his GF have been “greasing the groove” everyday, and working up to CrossFit stimulus a couple times per week – lots of potential in both athletes. This post kind of scared them. I told him it was probably the fish…

The proof is in the pudding – Bill Cosby.

"CrossFit – A strength and conditioning system built on constantly varied if not randomized, functional movements executed at high-intensity".

Respect to Bill Fox - he definitely "got some". He is the perfect mascot for our "mess you up" shirt.

I know we have all had a date with one of the women only to be greeted by her brother Pukie upon bringing her home. These workouts are designed to be devastating.

Hoping we all can offer Bill community support so he stays around. I think he has some good input to our community – personally, I have enjoyed reading his posts.

Are you fit, really fit, or CrossFit?

- To save you a trip to DD, post is below -

(http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/324770/)

Subject: Fitness
Date/Time 2005-03-17 13:59:38
Remote IP: 170.115.251.13

Maybe a slight exaggeration but it sure felt that way.

I decided to try a Crossfit workout. A lot of really fit and smart folks over there, a lot of crossover with the KB community etc...So Mondays "Workout of the Day" was "Cindy" (the workouts have names). As many rounds of 5 pullups, 10 pushups and 15 bodyweight sqauts as you can do in 20 minutes.

So I did 23 rounds in 20 minutes.

Had dinner about 45 minutes later, salmon and string beans.

Had one of the worst nights of my life, threw up at 11:00, 12:20 and 2:30. The 2:30 session was actually scary. I slept almost the entire next day and felt like I had no bone marrow. I'm about 75% back today. I'd like to blame the fish, but my wife ate it and she was fine. I definetly ate too soon after that kind of workout, but still.

After 25 years of training I have pretty good sense about what's good for me and what's not. This kind of metabolic hell, training on the nerve thing is not for me. The fact that I did 23 rounds, having done all Pavel style strength training with some density snatches thrown in for the last year, tells me I'm plenty "fit". I NEVER want to feel like I did yesterday again.

This is not a knock on Crossfit. Too many super fit folks there imply it doesn't work. But training is about finding what works for you and I think Pavel's emphesis on wave loading, staying off the nerve, always leaving something in the tank has been working wonders fo me over the last 3 years and I'm just more sure about it now then ever.

I'm going away for the weekend so I'm going to make this my 1 week off for the year, then ramp up again Monday for the cert.

FWIW

Bill
Old 03-27-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Not sure where this goes, but certainly not in Testimonials--Community, I guess. Or else we need an "anti-testimonial" section!
Old 03-27-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Few would argue with the assertion that one doesn't want to be throwing up three different times per night. That is a given save the folks that seek out such niceites as influenza, measels, malaria and the like. However, I would point out that it seems to me that Mr. Fox underestimated the size of the stick that Cindy wields. Even the fittest need to approach CrossFit workouts with a bit of caution. The wallop that they pack is often like a perfect liver shot...unimpressive to look at for the uninitiated, deblitating, and long-lasting in effect. Further, the effect often sticks with the participant.

I think that this post would be a good one to keep handy. It serves as a potent example of the necessity to start CrossFit slowly...no matter one's fitness level.

I would also point out that there are a number of people who can take Cindy head-on, achieve remarkable numbers, finish exhausted and minutes later be fully recovered. Yes, they may feel that they have really put in some significant work (and accomplished something few can), yet they bounce back impressively and quickly. Why? I would submit that it is precisely due to their level of fitness. In large part, this ability to recover is a measure of one's level of fitness.

I would encourage Mr. Fox to digest the lesson that he learned and contributed to this community, and continue the CrossFit workouts with this lesson in mind. I think what just might happen is he might find himself at a level of fitness he has not previously experienced. His experience is not one that is not shared by the fittest of the CrossFit fit. Those that have learned from it and perservered are not torturing themselves. In fact, they don't experience the long-lasting, hideous side-effects that they did upon their initiation to CrossFit. Yet, they are fitter, stronger, tougher, faster, and more athletic than they were prior to starting on the program.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:16 PM   #4
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Posted by Bill Fox under Fitness titled "I'm hooked, 1st WOD just done":

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 03:34 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
did "Cindy". Figured why sit on the fence, I'll do the WODs and sub KBs for weighted stuff.

Did 23 rounds and 5 pullups

Don't worry, I won't post anymore WODs here, I was just psyched and lightheaded.Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 08:48 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have an olympic bar and wieghts for the 225 and the 3,2,1

Pukie got me. I must have eaten too soon after doing the workout - just got a session praying to the porcelin god that reminded me of college, wothout the preceding fun.

Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 03:41 am:

Dave

Your right I have done this kind of thing before w/ Steve but I'm coming off a good year of "strength" training. Just messed up the eating. I was pretty pleased w/ 23 rounds, and have mad respect for the folks doing 30.

There's a big difference between "short rests" and a ticking clock. But you all knew that.

Bill
Bill

I'm having trouble with Mr Fox posting here about a WOD that indicated he had an overall good experience then bad mouthing/blaming Crossfit on the Dragondoor site. What's more, he admits to 'messing up the eating'. If he had a problem with Crossfit I feel it would have been appropriate for him to air it here.

Personally, I think it was bad fish.

Old 03-27-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Leaving aside the odd bit of unfair and inaccurate criticism, there's a lot of interesting stuff in that thread about the practicalities of CrossFitting - and some great contributions from some of the regulars here, to whom I raise my hat in respect. As for the cause of Bill Fox's affliction, I support the view aired in the thread that it was most likely a combination of a stomach bug and a weakened (thanks to Cindy!) immune system. However, that's just pointless speculation...
Old 03-27-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I think one of the things that crossfit develops is the ability to recover quickly. I haven't found that to be true in any other exercise regimen. Starting off crossfit with Cindy with 23 rounds is awesome. I remember when Bill posted and I thought so then too. On the other hand, while I have gotten sick from crossfit workouts, I have never heard of anyone who puked all night after a crossfit workout. It sounds like the flu to me. Or he might have some other underlying illness that doing Cindy agravated - though I wouldn't have a clue what.
Is he still hanging out on our site? I don't remember him posting again after that first post when he was excited. I am agreeing with Kelly that posting one thing here and another there is odd. Maybe he was a troll?
Old 03-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #7
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I doubt Bill is a troll, he's a pretty well respected member of the dragondoor forum.

As for what happened after he did "Cindy" thats anyones guess, food poisoning, flu whatever.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:21 PM   #8
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Beth,

He's not a troll. He is a regular on Dragondoor and does compete. From his posts there I believed him to be a serious, thoughtful and competent trainer with a lot of years at this game.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:37 PM   #9
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
"This kind of metabolic hell, training on the nerve thing is not for me."

Yeah, there's obviously no correlation between pushing yourself to the limit and seeing training results. :wink:
Old 03-27-2005, 07:14 PM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I think Patrick had a great point. Bill needed to ease into the workouts...he was too strong for his own good, with a lower capacity for metabolic conditioning! I'd like to see him come back and give it a go, reigning himself in for the first month.