CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-27-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
Ian Henderson Harte

Profile:  
I've been dealing with a lot of sharp pain in my shoulders after workouts lately. I tried out the 3 bars of death this morning and had to quit cleaning after the second set. I'm new to crossfit and I'm thinking maybe its just the shock of a different workout but I'd like to hear your input.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:47 AM   #2
Bill Ripley

Profile:
IMO you need to stop what you are doing until the pain goes away. The shoulder is a very intricate assembly and is very easy to damage. I have had great success using a combo of joint mobility, bands and using small dumbbells to exercise the full ROM of the shoulder. I also have completely dumped the bunch press.

Again JMO
Old 04-27-2006, 06:21 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Ian,
Search the board for Allen Yeh's shoulder thread. There's lots of good info in that one.

Sharp pain is bad. You need to re-evaluate your workouts and limit yourself to exercises that do not cause that type of pain, while performing "rehab/prehab" exercises to strengthen the questionable area(s).

Was there a recent injury or situation that might have led to this?

We need a lot more info (onset, how long the pain lasts, what makes it worse/better, bad positions, etc.) to help you out.

Always consider getting it checked out by an expert in person.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:18 AM   #4
Ian Henderson Harte

Profile:  
I've had problems with my left shoulder for a year or so now, but it started showing up more when I got into more shoulder workouts. The problem starts with the clean movement as I bring the bar up and gets pretty bad at the end of the movement. I think its more focused in the rotation though, thats when I feel the sharp pains. After a workout any rotations, or when I hold my arms out I get sharp pains in my shoulders, almost feels like a tendon. Even when I work with light weights I still have the problem. Hope that info helps, thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I figured out what the problem is, it's that your Shoulder is missing its "S"...that's what is causing the pain!

Seriously, you should go get some basic orthopedic tests done to your shoulder to see if you can narrow down where the problem is.

Here are some of the typical tests:
http://www.nismat.org/orthocor/exam/...tml#Evaluation
Perform and/or have a partner help perform these tests AT YOUR OWN RISK. Be gentle, overzealous people can potentially cause injuries with these!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
Ian Henderson Harte

Profile:  
haha good one... yeah i tried to change the heading, woops.

medical is pretty limited out here. im going to have to wait till I get stateside to get a real exam on it. I'll just take it easy on the shoulders and hope that helps a bit. I can't risk any serious injury though, it'd be a career killer. Any suggestions on rehab?

thanks for your help
Old 04-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Here are plenty of rehab recommendations:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/20822.html
Old 04-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Can't help your shoulder, but fixed your title up, anyway!:wink:
Old 04-28-2006, 12:17 AM   #9
Ian Henderson Harte

Profile:  
you rock
Old 04-28-2006, 04:37 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Shoulder injuries suck. I injured my right shoulder in January and it's just at about 95% now. I've been using KB presses and lockout waiter walks, with success. Good luck on your rehab.