CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-05-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
Firass Zahabi

Profile:  
Hey Guys,

I have been on the low carb diet for about 2 weeks and I have a few troubles. 1) I feel sore all the time and I seem to have an increased amount of acidity in my muscle. 2) I have dry mouth and bad breath. How do I get ride of these problems? I read this dry mouth is caused by Ketones but I could not find the solution can you guys help me? Also you guyus train so hard how do you keep so fresh without carbs? howdo recover so fast.?

thanks

F.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Eliminating carbs is'nt the point. Dr. Atkins is dead that sould tell you something. The point is that you balance the carbs with protien and fat to create a favourable homonal response to eating. Pick up a copy of "Mastering the Zone by Barry Sears" that should help explain.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
I don't think there'll be many people here who train in ketosis. I would suggest adding more fruit to your diet.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Yep, the Zone is recommended here and it consists of 40% carbs from good sources: mostly vegetables with some fruit, very little grains.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Firass, I was in the same boat as you before. The single best piece of advice i can give to any active low carber is to increase fat intake. Without carbs your body needs fat (and LOTS of it) to run efficiently. You;re probably eating mostly protein, and you're simply feeling like **** because you have no carbs or fat. The "ketone breath" is a sure sign that you're not eating enough fat. ketosis is only present for a short period when someone first begins a low carb diet. Once you become fat adapted (you must, must, must increase fat to atleast 60% of daily caloric intake) your breath will smell fine, you'll actually feel more energized than when you were a carb eater, and workouts will go well. I personally try to consume somewhere between 70-80% of my calories from fat (organic animal fat) and the rest is mostly protein, with a very small amount of carbs that come mostly from veggies. Most crossfitters don't like low carb because they probably aren't following an "athletes" low carb diet. Sedentary people might be able to feel great on low levels of fat while low carbing, but psycho's like us crossfitters could never do that. Just to give you apoint of reference I typically eat 1.5-2 sticks of butter a day (my local super market now sells organic horizon animal products) and I view my diet as being fat-based, not protein-based. Fat is not bad for you, don't be fatphobic. Now I'm rambling on, so i'll stop. Hope this helped.
Greg B
Old 02-06-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the reason you're dehydrated might be due to not eating enough vegetable matter. Remember, it's not a zero carb diet, it's low carb. Eat some veggies along with your meat and fat. Veggies can go a long way in terms of getting in carbs. You could eat a pound of broccolli a day and not ruin a low carb diet; Embrace your veggies, they're loaded with good nutrients and low in carbs. You shoudl also make sure you drink enough fluids. carry around a bottle with you all day to stay hydrated.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
CAREFUL slamming Atkins around here! That man fought the good fight and had much to offer. Atkins maintainance looks erily like the Zone.

Firass-

check out the Zone or if you really like lower carb eating look intot he Metabolic diet. If you are training CrossFit you need some muscle glycogen, no way around it!
Old 02-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
Firass Zahabi

Profile:  
Thanks for all the help but i'm still not sure about a few things.

1) I do take in a lot of fat. I take about 16 caps a day of fish oils. 4 caps with every meal and 2 with every snack. Is this enough fat for a guy who trains 6 days a week in MMA?

2) I have not taking in any carbs other than veggies and some fruit. I do eat a lot of greens but no bread or rice. I did today for the first time take a post workout shake called endurox with has a mix of protein and carbs. I did this because I always feel sore and I'm wondering if its because of low glycogen in my muscles. I read carbs don't turn to fat if taken right after a hard workout.

Basicly my new plane is to take a carb shake only after my training. And the rest of the time I will simply only eat fats, proteins and greens.

F.Z
Old 02-06-2006, 12:38 PM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Firass-

Add a piece or 2 of fruit to your post workout meal and you should feel much better.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #10
Firass Zahabi

Profile:  
RWolf

so I should not take the post workout shakes? And should I double my fat intake?