CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-28-2011, 03:43 AM   #1
Phil Brown

Profile:
Phil's Log

Today I thought it was time to start a log, because today, 3 months after starting these WODs and changing my training routines entirely, I got my first full on, no holds barred, kick in the beeehind muscle-up!! So stoked I am now going to do the WOD and smile alot. Will post more on training to get the MU later.....
Old 11-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Phil Brown

Profile:
Re: Phil's Log

scaled to:

2 wall climbs instead of the handstand walks
132lb deadlift

4:49

Pretty happy with the scaling I chose, since I was able to keep up a good pace and my lifts didn't suffer in form. I could have done more in retrospect, but thats not a bad place to be compared to doing too much I reckon - I used it as a practice to work quickly with a lift I have still to build up strength on....had some good coaching recently from a friend and am now keeping the bar MUCH closer - as in rubbing the thighs up and down - which is translating well into increased effciency.

The wall climbs are a good sub for me as I am not walking on hands yet or doing more than 1 hspu....I enjoyed the challenge of getting my chest to the wall and trying to maintain lumbar control - I can see why deadlifts and handstands can be a wicked combo as they attack the lower back by challenging eccentric and core control.

Other than this today, as mentioned above it was a big milestone for me with the muscle up -

I started with warm up deep dips to get my shoulders tracking without chicken-winging (my left shoulder is a little gripey and really hurts as soon as I fall into internal rotation and protraction, so having that gripe has actually been a great training tool!). Then I did a few resistance band MUs and concentrated on the negative drop here and keeping elbows in.
Then I progressed to practicing negatives without the band and managed a couple pretty well, so though it might be time to try a kip and go for it.....

The kip was the crucial addition for me - I have really worked on my strict dip strength in a hollow position, so it was really just getting the neuromuscular "mix" of a kip/pull and how that could put me into a position over the rings. Have to say Jeff Tucker's coaching video on explaining his approach to getting ABOVE rather than simply through the rings helped loads....I found all the training in the dips paid off as once I really committed to the kip and got over initial fear of hurting my shoulder, the dip phase was not a major problem.

Next milestone in gymnastic movements - a strict MU which I am hoping will just appear as I keep working on all the component parts: my first MU was like an unmade bed but it felt good on my shoulder so happy. However, I am going to keep working on more dips and work more on gymnastic kipping with less hip movement and more efficiency: practicing kipping and then stopping on a dime is a good test of whether I am over extending and over-hipping things!

Anyhow, today was great. I am a little tired at the moment so took 2 days rest over the weekend and will maybe do the same after tomorrow's Met/Gym/Weight mix.
Getting the MU has encouraged me to be a little more ruthless and bold about specific goals.

More on those later.

Last edited by Phil Brown; 11-28-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Brown View Post
Today I thought it was time to start a log, because today, 3 months after starting these WODs and changing my training routines entirely, I got my first full on, no holds barred, kick in the beeehind muscle-up!! So stoked I am now going to do the WOD and smile alot. Will post more on training to get the MU later.....
Congrats on the MU, Phil!!! Do you do them with rings....? I can manage about two on rings, but do them better on a straight bar One of my old coaches was amazed how easily I did them on the bar but took forever to get one on rings.

Anyhow, keep up the good work.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
Phil Brown

Profile:

Hey thanks for the encouragement mate. On the rings yup.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Phil Brown

Profile:

Tried the forward rolls on the WOD but found them uncomfortable - showed me where I need to work on spinal flexibility! Also, a nausea came over me immediately when I tried them. They made me feel old - never even hesitated when I was a boy!! Definitely something to work at before attempting such a workout...

Instead, I practiced some strength stuff:

Static ring holds in hollow body position - 2 PRs: 1.11 then after a 5 minute rest 1:14. This jump from my first attempts on November 8th of 55 seconds is mainly due to better technique I reckon, although its always good to have a number to break hey!?

Cleans 1 RM - still building on technique here so not huge loads - made 60k in good form - one thing I really noticed was how the ring work is feeding into my position in the clean - I am much more aware of my shoulders locking down and back to create a stable connective tissue connection between the glenohumeral joint and the scapula on the ribs and the lats down to the iliac crest via a stable lumbar spine. Felt rock solid addressing and setting up and on the first lifts the bar flew up pretty much.

Tried for 65k and immediately felt my fail on the pull - gotta PULL that bar once the hips have opened up....PULL!!!!

Anyhow, happy that things are starting to improve with this lift - I never trained this before this year: the closest I came to Oly lifts was always deadlift (and not very heavy) and squat.

Got a client coming in later - going to use ring position work to stabilise him and then work on his air squat and deadlift.

Last edited by Phil Brown; 11-29-2011 at 08:51 AM..
Old 12-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Phil Brown

Profile:

Muscle-up practice after skipping warm up and stretches. After my first MU two days ago I made 2 consecutive MUs today without dropping to the floor! Really chuffed as the gymnastic kip that I have developed for the pull ups has started to show in the Mu's, which made it all start to click a bit today.....getting back down to a decent false grip for any subsequent attempts is still hard - gonna work on that.....also, if I had a space to get a full hang with straight legs on the rings then it would be even easier with a more efficient and empowering kip.......
The video on coaching a gymnastic kip with Jeff Tucker - upper body or hip? - really opens out the possibilities of a more economic approach to the kip that produces upward force but with less loss of energy. Really into Tucker's stuff at the moment and love his turn of phrase!
http://journal.crossfit.com/2011/09/tuckerkippingpu.tpl

THURSDAY 111201 WOD:

subbed rope climbs for 15 left/right free hanging towel pulls
wall ball shots 20lb ball
200m run

Made 4 rounds and a 5th set of towel pulls (had to wet the towel in order to get a good grip!)

When I finally get somewhere with climbing ropes I reckon they'll be easy compared with the towel pulls!

Nutrition wise - I am not getting enough fat and carbs - getting hungry just an hour and a half after lunch and finding it hard to find good carbs to chow down on. Fat easy to find but need more tinned fish!
Signs of lack of fat are a lack of satiation after grub and waking at 4.00ish in the morning and needing large dollops of peanut butter!

Last year I weighed and measured for a couple of months so know what 2,500 cals looks like and am pretty good at judging my portions but need to up things to feel more satiated........it should be easy to up the calories from what I know to be about 2-2,500....
Interesting that since I upped the CF wods, I have been waking really hungry early mornings.....

Also, feeling a bit tired at the moment. Thinking I need to take a whole week off at some point, but hard to when excited about progress being made and enjoying the wods so much!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
Phil Brown

Profile:

wod: deadlift 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

skills session beforehand focused on developing movements in clean, snatch and then some overhead squat practice - I find that the overhead squat position seems great for developing more of a lumbar curve - something I can lose at the bottom of a squat or deadlift. Not ideal.

Then I played a bit with the clean and jerk, but this is still a new movement for me so I went for strength work with the deadlift today as the WOD. It payed off and I PR'd!

132-154-176-198-220-231-242. I was doing ok so I went for an extra attempt and made 248 so 2 PRs.

(numbers are converted from the kilos I use here)

Chuffed - I know its not astro amounts but strength training with any seriousness is new to me and this is progress.

Still feeling a little too tired as well - can tell as I was so glad it wasn't a met con today!

Nutrition:
Didn't wake up feeling dreadfully hungry early morning! Had a big protein shake with added greek yoghurt and some muesli before bed.
Just had rollmop herring on rye bread topped with a little mayo for fat addition and some mustard, plus a beetroot.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
Phil Brown

Profile:

SATURDAY 111203

AMRAP
250m row
25 press ups

7 rounds plus 250m row and 16 press ups

rowing was ok......am wondering about damper settings though - not very familiar with rowing machines and wondering if there is a standard setting everyone is using for wods like this?
Felt it in the press ups and had to break sets pretty quickly with a few seconds break between fives to keep pace steady and later slow down to couples and singles in the last round but did the whole wod without modding which I'm happy about.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Phil Brown

Profile:
Smile Re: Phil's Log

I know I need a week off now. Been getting more and more tired, but this is not I think directly due to the training, there are some frustrations and stresses that are impinging at the moment: 2 courses to revise for (one is the level 1 cert in Swansea in 2 weeks) and clients to work with and a family to remain sane for in a chaotic household.

Bags under the eyes. Not a good sign. I tried working out with Cindy this morning, but damn I bit off more than I could chew by going for the rx'd version. Gave up after 9 mins or so.
Thought I would leave it. Moved some clients due to being tired and needing to revise...

That half - wod still bugged me by this afternoon. My last attempt was actiually the pack version from brandx - 20 mins 3/6/9 reps. Perhaps I need to give this a shot again and try to beat my last score.....there was a burning in my guts that needed to come out thats for sure.

I went for it. 30 little chock lines (I think it was actually 29 rounds) on my piece of paper later and I BEAT my last score of 26 rounds!! Go figure......I really got into the groove, felt like I nailed a pace right for me and even felt like a bit of recovery on the pull ups. Really gassed at the end but now I think the next attempt will be a full Cindy.

I am just chuffed, what with all the stuff my brain and emotions are dealing with at the moment, that I can, for a short time, distill a pure sense of positive achievement into a day like today.

Totally chilled now. Calm seas......
Old 12-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Phil Brown

Profile:

Rest day. Fragged.