CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Matt Willis

Profile:
Matt Willis' Workout Log

No time like the present... Did Tabata Something Else last week, and then a few days rest (combined DOMS with extensive business travel). Now onwards...

Attempted Murph today and well, I sucked. I did one quarter of the prescribed workout before feeling too nauseated to finish...

1x through CFWU, then:
.5 mi (20lbs vest)
5 rounds of:
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 squats
No final run

12:39 seconds before collapse. I see no point in inflating my numbers or lying on my time, as I'm only cheating myself.

First round of "Cindy" above I used the 20lbs vest, which I think was my mistake. Overdid it. I've been "done" for damn near 20 minutes, and I'll still feeling ill and sweating like crazy! I've only a Door Gym for pullups, so I'm not able to kip very well (if at all), which I know reduces the efficiency...

My story (for any who care)... Been lurking around reading for boards here for many moons and finally thought there's no time like the present. Four years ago I started working out using P90X (yeah, I know...), and it definitely got me in so much better shape than I could have dreamed. But I knew better than to think I was truly fit, and Crossfit is proving that to me in spades. Doing the Tabata Something Else last week (and being too sore to move for nearly two days afterward) has lent me to believe it's better easing into the workouts rather than slamming them full blast. I've been working out regularly for four years, so I know I'm in this for the long haul. If it takes 4-6 weeks before I can complete a full WOD, so be it. No point in injuring myself in the meantime.

With any luck I'll be able to join up with the future Crossfit affiliate in Flower Mound, TX... I know I have much to learn about Olympic Lifts and proper form. Been working out by myself for far too long.

Let's see, besides fitness... I am the piper in the celtic rock band The Killdares and when playing in a rock band I am a full time piper, giving lessons, playing private performances, bagpipe repair and restoration, as well as a bagpipe reseller. So I keep busy.

'Til tomorrow...
Old 08-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
Matt Willis

Profile:
Re: Matt Willis' Workout Log

Today's WOD: Well... It was supposed to be the front squats. I even went out and purchased a (used) olympic bar ($45). I haven't picked up any plates, but that's fine, I know I really need to work on my form first before heavying it up...

On the way home, decided to wash the car... The car has 100,000k on it now (and it's only an '04!) and I decided it needed a quick wax too (I've been known to get my little car wax in about an hour)... Then I noticed the paint was lurking murky and terrible, even after the washing... So I decided to go over the whole car with some rubbing compound... Then I decided to wax.

Like an idiot, I decided to wax the whole car. Man alive... It dried so hard I had to put both arms into it! It took nearly 4 hours to remove the wax from the vehicle. I'll tell you what, my car looks AWESOME and you'd never know it had 100k miles on it, but I am so very beat and dehydrated.

So today's lesson? Do the WOD, then wash the car. At least I have the olympic bar for next barbell workout. Might play around with a handful of front squats later tonight.

Grrrr....

Last edited by Matt Willis; 08-26-2008 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Matt Willis

Profile:

WOD complete.

30 Handstand push-ups
40 Pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings, 35lbs
60 Sit-ups (ab mat)
70 Burpees

24.59 seconds.

At 15 HSPU (using the door as a support) my left arm gave out and I crashed hard on my head. Did the rest with the feet on the arm of the couch in a Pike Press style. Don't own a 1.5pood KB, so my 35lbs had to suffice. Burpees got ugly, but I did all 70.

It hath been brought.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Matt Willis

Profile:

WOD:

3 rounds:
50 Squats
Subbed out muscle up for:
3 Pull-ups / 3 ring dips
21 reps each per round
45 pound Hang power cleans, 10 reps. Did this with the bar only to perfect form. I am new to barbell training and doing this solo, so no need to injure myself. I'll up the weight slowly over time.

19:40 total.

Built my own rings from a small bail of wire covered in about a roll of duct tape and some towing cable. Tied these securely to my Door Gym and voila! Ring for about $11. Damn those dips are harder than on the bars!
Old 08-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Matt Willis

Profile:

WOD:

Four rounds for time:
Run 400 meters
Rest 2 minutes

11:17 total time
-6 minutes (rest time)
5:17 or 1:19 avg per 400m (didn't bring any paper to log individual round; need to use my stopwatch!)

First WOD that is even close to competitive with the other Crossfitters' times....
Old 08-31-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Matt Willis

Profile:

WOD: Weighted Pull-ups. 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Max weight... Attempted 75, but was too much... I'm only 130lbs, so adding 50lbs is a lot of extra weight!

1 - 50lbs
2 - 50lbs
3 - 50lbs
4 - 55lbs
5 - 50lbs
6 - 55lbs
7 - 55lbs

Then blasted out 10 pullups without weight. It felt like I was floating!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Matt Willis

Profile:

Got restless today, so decided to spend some time practicing kipping pullups... Not sure if they're possible on a low pull-up bar (Door Gym). With the knees that heavily bent, the swing just seems too anemic to do much good. Still, practiced "turning the hips over" on the floor for awhile. Then joined the girlfriend on a round of Power 90 (the 30 minute Sculpt 1-2 DVD). Nowhere close to Crossfit intensity, so if you stack on some weight in the exercises, or blast through a LOT of pushups, it'll get your sweat on.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Matt Willis

Profile:

WOD: Push jerk 3-3-3-3-3 reps

I'm still familiarizing myself with using a barbell, so I decided to use just the bar (45lbs) and do 5-5-5-5-5 reps. After the first round, I realized I had some ankle weights I could wrap on the bar to up it a little so...

5 - 45
5 - 55
5 - 55
5 - 55
5 - 55

An interesting feeling, moving an olympic bar around like that. Whole new world...

For the warmup, I did one round of Greg Amundson's warmup, subbing 30 chair dip (as I didn't have my rings set up and don't have access to parallel bars or a dip station) and just using a dowel instead of an olympic bar for the overhead squats.

I attempted an overhead squat with the oly bar, but I find myself lackign the flexibility (and confidence) to lower myself more than just a few inches before feeling like either the weight is coming too far forward or my shoulders are gonna pop out of socket (and I'm using a very wide grip). Hmmm. Something to work on.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Matt Willis

Profile:

WOD:

Back Squat (barbell behind the head) 3-3-3-3-3

Again, due to lack of proper equipment, I had to modify this workout. Instead I did 5 round of 10 squats with just the bar (first round), then I put on my 50 pound weight vest and busted through the other 4 round (total 95 pounds). Squats were nice and deep (thigh were well below parallel) and while I had no spotter, I feel pretty confident in my form.

So:

10 x 45lbs
10 x 95lbs
10 x 95lbs
10 x 95lbs
10 x 95lbs

I ordered Starting Strength and am thinking about even making the occasional trip out to Wichita Falls (not too terribly far from DFW) to see if I could have some personal training from Mr. Rippetoe (I know, big $$$, but it's worth it to have the master coach you)
Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
Matt Willis

Profile:

I really need to get to a gym with decent equipment if these strength workouts continue! Deadlifts with 55lbs seem redundant, even for me... Did 5 round of 10, and did another round of the warmup afterward, and threw in 50 air squats.

I think once Starting Strength arrives, I may put CrossFit on hold for a few months and follow Rippetoe's program to really build some functional strength in my olympic lifts before returning to CrossFit....