CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Douglas Ferguson

Profile:
Old guy, new CrossFitter

Hey everybody,
Just joined the discussion board and thought I'd log in.
I'm 69 years old and a bit overweight. I ran competitive long distance in an earlier life but have never done any type of real weight training so I'm finding that part pretty difficult.
I've been at CrossFit for about 5 weeks. Still can't do pull-ups or regular push-ups but am enjoying it. I found a great box with even greater trainers.
I'm wondering how many other 'older' folks there are out there doing CrossFit and how they're doing.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Bryan Castro

Profile:
Re: Old guy, new CrossFitter

This is great inspiration. I'm 38, but feel old when I'm chasing my 8-year-old and 5-year-old around. Keep going!

Best regards,
Bryan
Old 04-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Mark Levy

Profile:

Hey Douglas,

Welcome! We are out here..I'm 57 and have been doing Crossfit for about 3 years..awesome stuff..real powerful medicine. It can be a life changer.

Listen to you coaches, scale and focus on full movements.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Mark
Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #4
Daniel Turgeon

Profile:

very inspiring to se 57 and 60 somethings men going at it , im 37 and some morning i feel old too like bryan , guess i still have a good 30 yrs of xfit and hiking and mountain biking in front of me )

Old 04-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I have a retire husband and wife who are 63. Been with me about 4 months. They come three days a week and switched to eating Paleo. She is down 15 pounds and he is down 10 or 12. Both have made big gains in strength and both report higher quality of life.

Keep up the good work and listen to your body. The older humans get the slower they recover. Doesn't mean you can go hard, just you have to get enough days off, sleep and good food.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

Good for you! We have several older folks at my box, one being a lady who is 73 years old.

We have 2 guys who are 61, one whom I see almost every day, and one who comes every Saturday who was my partner for my very first partner WOD when I started. He calls himself "old man Chris," but make no mistake, he kicks my a$$ at anything that doesn't involve his knees. He did then, and he does now. Just last Saturday he did 15 dead hang pullups like it was a joke. He is awesome, and the older folks inspire me as I hope to inspire the young kids (I'm 41.)

Keep up the good work!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

WELCOME!!!!!!!!! Douglas.
you are going to love the journey.

the only difference as we get a bit of age on us is that we need to be a bit more aware of the message our bodies are sending us.. I find that at 60+ i dont bounce as well as i did when much younger. However since i started CF aged 58 i have become stronger, fitter, leaner and have an insatiable urge to keep on getting better....

Above all have fun fun fun

cheers

helen
Old 04-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Doug Ochsner

Profile:

I am 57. Been doing Crossfit for 4 months. I have really battled mobility issues in my shoulders and connecting muscles. So I would say scaling and mobility work is critical.
Just moved 1 RM on squat and dealift weight a lot. Was surprised. Hard work, but it does work.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Jim Wojciehowski

Profile:

Hello everyone. Since we are talking about "elders" and Crossfit I thought I would add my experience.

I am 59 and started Crossfit with my wife, also 59, November 23, 2012. To say the WOD's were difficult would be an understatement.

I've mostly been an endurance athelete but had sadly let my fitness level drop.

In November, when starting, I weighed 191 pounds (at 5' 9") with 30% bodyfat. I learned about eating Paleo from others at the box and I went fairly strict.

I still find my lack of shoulder flexibilty a hinderance to movements like overhead squats and kipping and I'm nursing a bit of a chronic overuse injury to my left shoulder secondary to those movements.

That said, today I am 157 pounds and 19% bodyfat. Energy level is good and I have come to peace with the fact that, because of my age, I need to occasionally take a rest day to recover.

I got my first unbanded pull up last week and ran the 'filthy fifty" for the first time last night and timed out (35 minutes) at 31 Burpees for a total rep score RX of 431. I was satisfied with that for now but will finish the next time the WOD comes around in a few months.

My wife and I both feed off the energy in the Box. We have some great trainers and a lot of the young buff folks in class tell us we are an inspiration. I guess I look my age but I still chuckle at the thought of being an inspiration to anyone when I can't even do toes to bar yet.

Anyway, I'm drinking the Crossfit koolaide and enjoying the journey as is my wife who has never been an athelete of any kind and now can rip off 10 "male" pushups and do handstands.

We love this stuff!!

Last edited by Jim Wojciehowski; 04-17-2013 at 03:03 PM..
Old 06-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
Jim Wojciehowski

Profile:

Didn't want to do one post and disappear. I do occasionally come back and read other's posts.

For both my wife and I accomplishments at present are being marked by added skills.

Personally I am now up to 6 unbanded pullups (non-kipping). I am still having a problem with my left shoulder handling a kipping motion but I'm slowly working on it.

I also finally can string a couple double unders together, Man that was a frustrating journey. I'm still very inconsistant and my PR is 12 in a row in the middle of a WOD. I haven't quite figured out why sometimes I can string them together and other times they just won't happen.

Still loving the journey.