CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Ben Gallardy

Profile:
Paleo Diet "byproducts"

Long time reader, first time poster. And what a first post....

I have been doing CrossFit for a few months now at a local gym with a few friends, the whole group experienced powerlifters, MMAs and general athletes. We do the WODs and occasionly dabble in the heavy METCONs when we are up to it. The results have been great and I want them to keep getting better so I have been doing a lot of reading/research on dietary plans and ordered the Paleo Diet for Athletes book a few weeks ago. Read the book, liked it and have been following strictly for about a week and a half. Only one problem I have found with my new diet is that my GAS is OBNOXIOUS! I feel like my intestines have turned into strightpipes and I can't even think about letting one slip in the office or it looks like an emergency evacuation drill. Yeah, yeah, everyone laughs at a good fart every once in a while, but every 10 minutes in a professional work atmosphere is not gonna "cut the cheese" .

So, on a more serious note, any similar reactions (fess up, it's sort of funny) and how long are my new diet's "EFFECTS" gonna last?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
David Croushore

Profile:
Re: Paleo Diet "byproducts"

http://www.beanogas.com/ (WFS)
Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Robert Callahan

Profile:

purely speculation but I would guess that it is your body adjusting to the new diet. Give it another week or two and if it hasn't subsided.... well then I am not sure what to do... bottle it and give to people you don't like?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

What Robert said. A couple weeks, your body will fix itself.

The only issue after that is when/if you eat cheat foods, the gas is worse than ever before.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
Ben Gallardy

Profile:

Thanks Dave. I understand Beano, what it does etc. But I was looking at it more from a standpoint of: Is this happening because my system has been shocked from the new diet, is normal and will go away once the body adjusts? Or, you invest in some carbon lined underwear and a lifetime supply of Beano b/c it isn't going away....
Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Ben Gallardy

Profile:

Rob/Amber....thats what I was hoping. Thanks. Although the bottling process intrigues me. Christmas presents will be cheap this year.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig View Post
The only issue after that is when/if you eat cheat foods, the gas is worse than ever before.
Oh I know, it's insane. If you just started eating alot of vegetables that is probably the reason why you are gasy. Broccoli took me like a month to get used to before I stopped being so gasy.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
Roelant Bergen

Profile:

Food combos are also important,sometimes its how you cook it too.....two days ago, I had a combination of steamed brussel sprouts and broc...not good. I was in the same situation, every ten minutes. Took all day to subside. Made sure I ate raw carbs for the next 8 hours or so, to move it out of my system. Eventually I was fine. If I got any more bloated, I would have started to float and bob on the office ceiling. Quite terrible.

Last edited by Roelant Bergen; 01-22-2009 at 12:26 PM..
Old 01-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Scott Clark

Profile:

This is an issue many people encounter when switching to a more whole foods based diet. The increase in fiber and often particular foods you may not have been eating prior to the switch to a new diet may induce more sound effects than normal.

Nuts are known to cause gastrointestinal distress in some people. After you allow your body to adjust to Paleo, it may be worth eliminating nuts and reintroducing them.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
Max Lambert

Profile:

Alot of people have problems with cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, mustard greens, brussel sprouts, etc)

Really good for you, but not so much for those around you