CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-14-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
Johnathan Hazlett

Profile:
Are the big advertized supplements such as Xyience, gamma-o,Hydroxy-cut, etc...

Is there any real worth in these products or just great athletes sponsored to tout the effectiveness of these products?

So I guess my question is do these products work or are they snake oil?

any feed back would be great thanx...

Johnny....
Old 06-15-2006, 04:46 AM   #2
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Snake oil may have some benefits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil most of the products you listed don't. The best advice is sort out your training, then your diet and lifestyle and then maybe as a cherry on top a few choice supplements, multivits of some sort, protein powders and maybe creatine. Avoid any product that gets an 8 page featured article in Flex.

Ger.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
Johnathan Hazlett

Profile:
Thats what I wanted to hear, thanx.

I buy a whey protien from champion, but I'm pretty ignorant as to what or which creatine in which amount to add to my diet should I use.

I buy most of my vitamins and some supplements from

http://www.vitacost.com/

Thanx...

Johnny........
Old 06-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
Mike Neill

Profile:
I also have had positive experience with vitacost.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
Nikki Young

Profile:
Snake oil.

If the product has been researched and has shown that it can actually do what it says it can do for you, then chances are it's not another money making scheme. Keeping in mind however, that the research wasn't done in the back shed of the companies warehouse.

I would say the vast majority of whey protein (all that i am aware of) are made from cheap leftovers from the cheese factory, chucked into a tin with either a logo of a man flexing or a girl all nice and toned, market it like crazy and the product sells.. just because the company says its good doesn't mean its good..

Watch out for the celeberaties marketing the product, again it's just another marketing scheme. In Australia we have a very well known ex-profesional athlete advertising a multi-vitamin tablet (i won't list names).. i know the personal trainer who trains this guy and he doesn't take the suppliment, however he is telling other people too, if it's not good enough for him why should it be good enough for someone else, it's all about the money in the majority of these cases.

And also, i would stay away from vitamin and mineral suppliments, unless your deficient and your doctor has told you that you should take them. Feel free to e-mail me if you like more info .

Researched:
www.juiceplus.com
Old 06-15-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
Nikki,
Tell me what you know about juice plus. I have a friend that is always hounding me about it and I try to tell him that I get my nutrition from good eating rather than supplements. he won't leave me alone.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #7
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
eva, stop letting him hound you and get some juice plus!
It's one of the few supplements I will advocate. I've thoroughly researched it, i've read studies in multiple universities that have tested it on people, i've spoken to doctors about the science behind it. I've poked holes in the theory and data and been satisfied with the answers. Read "From Here to Longevity" by Dr. Mitra ray - it's an amazing read and she advocates Juice Plus.

I've been in contact with Dr. Ray and she's an accomplished biochemist.

These are the tested benefits of juice plus from my reading:
- reduced homocysteine levels
- reduced levels of C-reactive protein
- reduced production of lipid peroxides
- increased serum antioxidant levels leading to decreased telomere shortening leading to a slow down in aging.
- positive effects on protein glycation

i have other data somewhere on the following:
- fibrinoid necrosis
- hgb-A1C

Furthermore, just for kicks, i'm doing the following:
I've stopped taking juice plus for ~ 2 weeks, I'm getting a bunch of blood markers tested on monday, then i'll restart and get those markers tested in 8 weeks.
I'll share the results on the board.
Moral of the story: GET some (juice plus :-))
Old 06-16-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Johnathan, since you are just starting out, and are a recovering alcoholic, I don't think any supplements are advised AT ALL. Especially ones which could alter states of conscientious (leave you feeling jacked), like the diet pills. Protein powders are fine as condiments, but are not staple foods. Fish oil is a food and recommended. You need to work on consistently excellent nutrition, don't take short cuts. Eva, there is, as always, another side to the story. There is some negative press concerning Juice Plus if you surf around on the web. But if there is ever anyone who could experiment with supplements to see their effect...it's you! I think only elite level athletes should be jacking around with supplements to tweak their performance or health. Most people who take supplements do not have the big picture stuff in place (not you Taha). If your not eating 5 Zone balanced meals a day, from excellent food sources (grass fed, wild meat, etc), taking fish oil, doing the WOD as RXed 3/1, sleeping 8 hours a night, flossing, and drinking water (no soda or juices) then you have no business jacking around with the small picture stuff...like supplements. 99% of health and fitness involves working out properly and proper nutrition (probably more than 99%).
Old 06-16-2006, 06:58 AM   #9
Lewis Dunn

Profile:
Larry, I know you've made this point repeatedly, and if your intention in doing so is to encourage folks to work as hard as possible on getting the "big picture stuff" in order in stead of relying on supplements as a shortcut to elite health and fitness, I couldn't agree more. However, I completely disagree that those whose big picture is not in order have no business taking supplements. In fact, it may be exactly these people who would benefit most from some kind of supplementation. [I'm talking here about vitamins and minerals or a product like Juice Plus, not the stuff you see for fat loss or body building.] One way of looking at supplementation is as a way to make up for what’s otherwise missing, and someone who is not doing well with that big picture stuff is missing more that someone who is.

You sound like someone who clearly has both the personal discipline and a lifestyle that allows you optimize nutrition, exercise, sleep, hydration, etc. Not everyone does. I think you are assuming that folks that don't have those things optimized are simply not trying hard enough. While I'm sure many of them could work harder, I have many friends who, for reasons of work, travel, family, etc., are falling short of your standards but are nevertheless doing the best they can. Or, maybe to put it more fairly, they are simply doing the best they are going to do. And I suspect that they might very well benefit from supplementation more that someone like you might. Even if that's not true, it makes no sense to me to say that someone with their big picture stuff in order can supplement to get from 99% to 100%, but someone who falls short should not supplement to get from 80% to 81%. If there's a gain to be made, it should be made by everyone who is otherwise doing their best at the basics.

My own day-to-day big picture is very good and I don't take any supplements, but I head out frequently on multi-day climbing trips and everything starts falling apart. Where I go I can't carry optimal nutrition, hydration is always a problem, sleep is usually limited, and day-to-day physical recovery is usually insufficient. I do the best I can do in all of these areas, but it is inevitable that I'll come up short. That's when supplements become an important part of my day (I'll be taking a closer look at Juice Plus). There are many people out there (think of new parents who have full-time jobs!) who do the best they can in their daily life, but still come up short.

Again, I would never advocate trying to rely on supplements as a shortcut when one can improve the basics, but when one has done the best they can do, or are going to do, with those basics, whether it is 50%, 80% or 99%, then I'd say add whatever supplements you feel are appropriate. And my guess is that, if supplementation can take someone from 99% up by one percent, it can very likely take someone from 80% up by even more.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
I'm in full agreement with larry. I believe supplements are a distraction. The shift your focus in the wrong direction and in tht long term slow progress.

As for Juie+. I personally won't touch anything sold via Multi-Level Marketing. But if you want to buy uber expensive muti vits go for it.