CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Adrian Garcia

Profile:
MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder

I was wondering what are opinions on the contents of MusclePharm Combat Protein?
Work safe link
http://musclepharm.com/store/all-products/combat/

I'm looking for something with quality at a decent price and I found this on sale at Costco. 5lbs for $43 dollars. Pretty good deal, however I'd like to know some of the thoughts on quality. Thanks
Old 01-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Spencer Pearlman

Profile:
Re: MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder

I actually picked it up today with my dad -- had 9 dollars off from coupons,so it was 34. I have used it in the past as a protein when I feel like I need some; not necessarily as a post workout.

It's a blend protein - so it could probably be taken before a workout or just before bed. I wouldn't recommend it as a post lift protein -- I tend to stick with isolates.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Zach Summers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Garcia View Post
I was wondering what are opinions on the contents of MusclePharm Combat Protein?
Work safe link
http://musclepharm.com/store/all-products/combat/

I'm looking for something with quality at a decent price and I found this on sale at Costco. 5lbs for $43 dollars. Pretty good deal, however I'd like to know some of the thoughts on quality. Thanks
Are you sure it's not a 4lbs tub?

I think that is usually what it is sold in. If it really is a 5lbs tub then jump on that! That is usually the price for 4lb and it is a pretty good protein IMO

EDIT: Nevermind found it on Costco. Like I said... great price for a highly rated protein. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mu...rm/combat.html SFW
Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Jason Kelley

Profile:

At the end of the day protein is protein as far as the body is concerned. So get the cheapest you can. Don't worry about fast acting, "trickle feed"ing muscles. You just want to make sure you are getting 25g when they say 25g. There is a good website some where that compares stated protein content with actual tested levels.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Kelley View Post
At the end of the day protein is protein as far as the body is concerned. So get the cheapest you can. Don't worry about fast acting, "trickle feed"ing muscles. You just want to make sure you are getting 25g when they say 25g. There is a good website some where that compares stated protein content with actual tested levels.
I like this guy ^^^.

First 5 posts, common sense all around.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Jason Kelley

Profile:

ha ha....I am sure I will come out with a humdinger of a comment at some point.

But having read and tried many different "things" as we all do I am of the definite opinion that it (nutrition & training) doesn't need to be as complicated as some make out, the majority of your gains or losses will come from the simple big stuff - all the little things will have little impact and consistency in everything you do will lead you to your "eureka!" moment.

But as always lots more to learn about different aspects of training so I am on these boards to learn how to integrate more high intensity lifting into my current lifting schedule.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
Jason Dimaio

Profile:

Quote:
Is this the one you to which you were referring?

https://labdoor.com/c/protein
SFW link
Old 01-08-2014, 02:21 AM   #8
Jason Kelley

Profile:

No however I am sure there are a few out there considering supplements are often country specific.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Not quite. Whey protein isolate is not the same as milk protein concentrate and is not the same as soy protein. There are plenty of differences in how your body reacts, the biggest for me is that I have stomach issues with cheaper whey protein sources and this is not uncommon. Saying protein is protein sounds well and good but it is pretty inaccurate.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 AM   #10
Jason Kelley

Profile:

Not really. You are talking about the non-protein contents (such as lactose) as far as you stomach issues are concerned. If it were the amino acids causing the issues you would have the same issue with pretty much all protein sources.

The real world difference between most protein supplements is the amount of protein per gram and cost per gram. However if you are wanting to distinguish between protein sources you really need to get down to different amino acid profiles.

But even then across a decent diet you would be getting more than enough of most aminos and would suggest you would not be able to notice any difference from one to the other in end results.

As far as the body goes it will "treat" Arginine from Soy the same as it will from Whey.

Ignoring all of that, at 100% pure protein and 50g a day supplementation it would amount to less than 10% of daily intake by calories.

It really is not worth stressing over the different amino acid profile of less than 10% of your diet. Much more important things to worry about.