CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Bob Herald

Profile:
Bro Science?

This friend of mine is a competitive bodybuilder, and he looks great. He's about 240 lbs of solid muscle and about 6% BF. I know the diet of a bodybuilder is different than an athlete but I figured he must be doing something right.

He put a friend of mine ( he's big and strong but has a belly), on a diet plan. He told belly guy to cut fruit out of his diet because of the sugar. Them he told him if he had to eat it, then have it for breakfast , not at night.

I'm pretty sure studies say that it doesn't matter whether a food is eaten in the morning or at night!? And the idea that fruit is the reason you're fat??

Thought?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Frank Fusco

Profile:
Re: Bro Science?

I don't think fruit has ever made anyone fat. There are many studies that show fresh whole fruit consumption is associated with good health markers including a healthy weight.

If Belly Guy eats the "Standard American Diet" there are probably a lot of other things that he can cut out that would help him lose his belly.

Having said all that, just because a certain food doesn't promote obesity doesn't mean that eliminating or reducing that food won't be helpful in certain circumstances. Your body builder friend at 6% body fat may very well see an impact to body composition from eating fruit. But unless eating fruit causes someone to binge and generally overeat, I don't think an average person with a belly needs to eliminate fruit to see results.

With regard to when to eat it, there are a number of different plans and programming when it comes to nutrient timing and partitioning. Some advocate carbs in the morning, some in the evening, some post workout, some preworkout. I don't know that one is better than the other. I'm sure you can find ripped body builders that follow almost any plan. I look at it the same as fruit restriction. There may be some benefit when you are trying to lose those last couple percents of body fat, but the primary driver in fat loss is maintaining a caloric deficit over time.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

is there some bro science involved? sure. however, there is also years of expereince, trial and error, etc. what you have to understand about the bodybuilders (and others in nutrition world type diets from all areas) is that they aren't meant to be perfect so much as practical. many of the foods that are on the "don't eat" in many diets have nothing to do with those foods. in your example, fruit, it might not be that the fruit is bad. but, what many have found after years of doing this with lots of people, is that for many people, once they have that first bite of fruit then their body goes into crave mode. it craves move fruit, it craves other sweets, it craves soda, it just craves. same with a keto - type diet. once you eat those first carbs alot of people can't stop, but as long as they have none then they are fine. same with soda, beer, ice cream, or whatever a persons particular vice happens to be. eating one food can often lead to you crave other foods. craving can lead to binge eating. any of this can lead to messing up your macros and then the diet doesn't work. so there are alot of things that are avoided on diets not because they would be bad but because it just helps overall to avoid them to keep things in check.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Joseph Regan

Profile:

Here's my 2 cents. I have worked with some of the top diet guru's in the country. Actually have worked with about 5 of them and all of them have different ways to skin a cat. I have had great success with carbs only after workouts, carbs all day, high protein, high fat, low carbs etc.....I also worked with a trainer that would only give me fruit for carbs and i mean a ton of fruit. Another trainer i worked with only let me eat fruit pre workout.

All in all its more complex than timing a piece of fruit and there are more than one way to get to the final result. If he is actually that lean (Probably isnt unless he is a week out of stepping on stage) then it works for him. Will it work for your buddy? Who knows. Time will tell but remember there are different paths to get to the same result. The key is making the proper adjustments given the particular progress.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
This friend of mine is a competitive bodybuilder, and he looks great. He's about 240 lbs of solid muscle and about 6% BF. I know the diet of a bodybuilder is different than an athlete but I figured he must be doing something right.

He put a friend of mine ( he's big and strong but has a belly), on a diet plan. He told belly guy to cut fruit out of his diet because of the sugar. Them he told him if he had to eat it, then have it for breakfast , not at night.

I'm pretty sure studies say that it doesn't matter whether a food is eaten in the morning or at night!? And the idea that fruit is the reason you're fat??

Thought?
What you eat and the context in which you eat - starved, fasting, fed, overfed - does affect the balance of substrate oxidation. However, aside from some minor changes in fluid balance, glycogen stores, and the weight of your stomach contents, this has no significant effect on body mass. That is a function of energy balance. And the idea that food somehow becomes more or less fattening depending on the position of the sun is just stupid.

As for fruit; no food is intrinsically fattening but eliminating an entire food group from your diet, even one that makes a relatively small contribution to daily energy intake, is bound to have some effect on energy balance. So while I wouldn't recommend it myself as I don't believe removing an entire food group from your diet, particularly something as good for you as fruit, is healthy or sustainable over the long term, cutting out fruit may help your friend lose weight.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

May not be totally relevant, but interesting nonetheless.
http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2013/12...-isnt.html?m=1 wfs
Old 01-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
His results are likely mostly from genetics and drug usage and not from his diet or training, if the numbers you're giving are anywhere close to accurate.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
His results are likely mostly from genetics and drug usage and not from his diet or training, if the numbers you're giving are anywhere close to accurate.
Do you really think it's impossible to be 240 lbs and 6% bf without drugs? Kind of a big assumption on your part...
Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Do you really think it's impossible to be 240 lbs and 6% bf without drugs? Kind of a big assumption on your part...
Why don't you go do some research on it.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:45 AM   #10
Jeffrey Cupra

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
The rule of thumb for a natural athlete
- One can be big but not ripped
- One can be ripped but not big

This is kind of a bold statement but I have to agree with Donald on this one.