CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #21
David Patton

Profile:
Re: At Large Nutrition (ALN) - Results & Opticen

The more I read of your writing, the more Bull **** I find your statements!!!!! You are full of ****!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #22
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Billy -

If you think you have a case to be made, I think your only real avenue is the legal system. It's doubtful that this thread, or really any other posting anywhere else online, is going to get you very far.

- Mark
Old 11-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #23
Billy Wong

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
No supplements are FDA-approved...in fact they should all have a disclaimer on the label a la "This supplement is not approved by the FDA and is not intended to treat/prevent/cure any disease." I know all AtLarge products I've used include a statement to that effect.

Unless you were unlucky enough to draw a tub of Results that had rat poison added to it, I highly doubt AtLarge bears any share of the blame for your health problems.

Also, conjugated linoleic acid is found in almost all meats and dairy products. It's not unique to Opticen or any other supplement.
Hi Eric,

When I say: "At Large Nutrition did not supply the information of their products if they are FDA approved or not. I bought ALN products based on the reviews that I read online."

I was referring Cam to the time when I ordered the products from their website as I could not found their products anywhere else. There was no statement about the FDA approval on ALN website's description of both Opticen and Results.

In regards to the conjugated linoleum acid, United States' Poison Control Department was the one that claimed that particular ingredient within Opticen to be something that can induce hepatitis.

Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Patton View Post
The more I read of your writing, the more Bull **** I find your statements!!!!! You are full of ****!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi David,

My statements are honest and only done for exposure to the public. Please take it or leave it. Thanks.

Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Billy -

If you think you have a case to be made, I think your only real avenue is the legal system. It's doubtful that this thread, or really any other posting anywhere else online, is going to get you very far.

- Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the advise. I am posting this thread to expose possible products (Opticen & Results) side effects and to gather additional informations. I don't want anyone to ever encounter the same adverse condition that happened to me.

Billy
Old 11-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #24
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Hi Shang. Still no refund I see?
Old 11-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #25
Billy Wong

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Hi Shang. Still no refund I see?
Hi Matt,

Who's Shang?

Billy
Old 11-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #26
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Wong View Post
Hi Eric,

When I say: "At Large Nutrition did not supply the information of their products if they are FDA approved or not. I bought ALN products based on the reviews that I read online."

I was referring Cam to the time when I ordered the products from their website as I could not found their products anywhere else. There was no statement about the FDA approval on ALN website's description of both Opticen and Results.

In regards to the conjugated linoleum acid, United States' Poison Control Department was the one that claimed that particular ingredient within Opticen to be something that can induce hepatitis.
http://www.atlargenutrition.com/terms-of-use WFS

"At Large Nutrition disclaims all liability related to any information, or the use of said information, on this site. Both At Large Nutrition and the authors of this site recommend that you always consult with your own physician regarding any issues of general health, specific medical conditions, or the use of any dietary supplement. No statements or products on this site are intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated any of the statements on this site."

Pretty standard disclaimer you'll find on any supplement company's site. Read the labels on your tubs of Results and Opticen and I'll guarantee something similar is on there.

As for the CLA: "The United States Food and Drug Administration categorizes CLA as generally recognized as safe (GRAS) status for certain food categories, including fluid milk, yogurt, meal replacement shakes, nutritional bars, fruit juices and soy milk. With GRAS status, food companies are able to add CLA to products in these food categories."

You either misunderstood the doctor about it being dangerous, or he was badly misinformed.

Last edited by Eric Montgomery : 11-30-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:59 AM   #27
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I think you're barking up the wrong tree on pursuing an action against a supplement company for your problems.
However, there are many threads on this forum about rhabdo, so since you're here, you might want to do some more research about it to get a better understanding of what happened to you, and (potentially) why.

Rhabdo sucks - sorry you had to go through. But I seriously doubt that the supplement was THE CAUSE or even the proximate cause of your condition.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #28
Billy Wong

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
http://www.atlargenutrition.com/terms-of-use WFS

"At Large Nutrition disclaims all liability related to any information, or the use of said information, on this site. Both At Large Nutrition and the authors of this site recommend that you always consult with your own physician regarding any issues of general health, specific medical conditions, or the use of any dietary supplement. No statements or products on this site are intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated any of the statements on this site."

Pretty standard disclaimer you'll find on any supplement company's site. Read the labels on your tubs of Results and Opticen and I'll guarantee something similar is on there.

As for the CLA: "The United States Food and Drug Administration categorizes CLA as generally recognized as safe (GRAS) status for certain food categories, including fluid milk, yogurt, meal replacement shakes, nutritional bars, fruit juices and soy milk. With GRAS status, food companies are able to add CLA to products in these food categories."

You either misunderstood the doctor about it being dangerous, or he was badly misinformed.
Hi Eric,

When I mention: "There was no statement about the FDA approval on ALN website's description of both Opticen and Results," I meant the description page of each product. Both of Opticen & Results page don't have it while if you check Nitrean and others, they do have it at the bottom of the page. The owner should have the responsibility to quote that in every product page of his. I bought At Large Nutrition products online without having them on my hand to see. Therefore its critical that they provide all the necessary informations of a product in each one of At Large Nutrition's product web page. Just like when you walk into a store, you do not see a disclaimer board right the moment you walk in to summarize everything. Every products in store will put the important descriptions in their own respective product labelings. I had a trust in At Large Nutrition products (based on online experience) when I received the shipping, therefore when I used the products, I only read the part of recommended dosage. The information found online should convey the same and/ more important descriptions of a physical product.

Again, as for the CLA, I do know that it's one of the safe ingredient for consumption. However for the CLA that was used in Opticen, United States' Poison Control Department claimed it to be something that can induce hepatitis.

I am not misinformed nor do the team of doctors that handled me. I am posting this information to expose the public about a possible side effect of consuming Opticen and Results from At Large Nutrition. Please take it or leave it. Thanks

Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I think you're barking up the wrong tree on pursuing an action against a supplement company for your problems.
However, there are many threads on this forum about rhabdo, so since you're here, you might want to do some more research about it to get a better understanding of what happened to you, and (potentially) why.

Rhabdo sucks - sorry you had to go through. But I seriously doubt that the supplement was THE CAUSE or even the proximate cause of your condition.
Hi Sean,

I am not pursuing an action against At Large Nutrition. I am here to expose the possible side effect of consuming their Opticen and Results products. The posting is an honest, detailed description of what happened, just like other postings that are courteous when the products did good to them.

Aside from being hospitalized for 6 days and having a team of doctors trying to find any possible cause of my rhabdomyolysis, I also did researches online when I was still in the hospital. I asked the doctors every time I found a new information online and none of the informations correlate with my condition.

Billy

Last edited by Billy Wong : 11-30-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: additional information: I hit the enter button by mistake before putting in the information.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #29
Jeff Enge

Profile:

OK, so CLA is present mostly in meat and dairy products. Believe it or not, there is more protein, and therefore amino acids, in a steak than there is in an Opticen shake. How do you know it wasn't the meat you ate or the milk you drank, since that would be the large majority of your protein consumption?

There's also something called a "returns policy" if you haven't heard of it. If you order something, and aren't satisfied or don't feel comfortable taking it, you can feel free to send it back and get a refund. Considering a disclaimer is given on the packaging, using the product should be your tacit agreement that you are OK with that. If not, return it. So sorry, your argument that "it doesn't say it on the website" isn't valid. And some people wonder why "hot beverage" has to be put on fast food coffee cups...

None of the ingredients in Opticen (whey protein and carbs mostly) and Results (creatine, beta-alanine, HMB) cause rhabdomyolysis unless you are doing something wrong on your end.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #30
Billy Wong

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
OK, so CLA is present mostly in meat and dairy products. Believe it or not, there is more protein, and therefore amino acids, in a steak than there is in an Opticen shake. How do you know it wasn't the meat you ate or the milk you drank, since that would be the large majority of your protein consumption?

There's also something called a "returns policy" if you haven't heard of it. If you order something, and aren't satisfied or don't feel comfortable taking it, you can feel free to send it back and get a refund. Considering a disclaimer is given on the packaging, using the product should be your tacit agreement that you are OK with that. If not, return it. So sorry, your argument that "it doesn't say it on the website" isn't valid. And some people wonder why "hot beverage" has to be put on fast food coffee cups...

None of the ingredients in Opticen (whey protein and carbs mostly) and Results (creatine, beta-alanine, HMB) cause rhabdomyolysis unless you are doing something wrong on your end.
Hi Jeff,

The statement about Opticen's CLA was made by United States Poison Control Department themselves. If you have any disagreement of their statement, please send your complain to them and not me.

I don't know if you understand my posting, I have no intention in returning the products. I never mentioned "it doesn't say it on the website". Please read again below about the explanation that I gave to Eric.

"I meant the description page of each product. Both of Opticen & Results page don't have it while if you check Nitrean and others, they do have it at the bottom of the page. The owner should have the responsibility to quote that in every product page of his. I bought At Large Nutrition products online without having them on my hand to see. Therefore its critical that they provide all the necessary informations of a product in each one of At Large Nutrition's product web page. Just like when you walk into a store, you do not see a disclaimer board right the moment you walk in to summarize everything. Every products in store will put the important descriptions in their own respective product labelings. I had a trust in At Large Nutrition products (based on online experience) when I received the shipping, therefore when I used the products, I only read the part of recommended dosage. The information found online should convey the same and/ more important descriptions of a physical product."

I did not do any wrong on my end that could cause rhabdomyolysis and the hospital already confirmed that with many tests. I am posting an explanation about the possible side effects of consuming At Large Nutrition's Opticen and Results as that was the condition that I was in. Please take it or leave it. Thanks.

Billy