CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
Bryan Hood

Profile:
Re: Dynamic Effort without accommodating resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane Greene View Post
A lifter has to fail on max effort day to know they have strained? That's a pile of bull****. Why would you want to train to fail?

You have your ME variation exercises that you rotate. The goal is to PR on that variation each time it comes up. Sometimes it's a big PR sometimes it may be 5lbs. If you hit a PR tak it and walk away. You've just accomplished somethingyou couldn't do previously. There's nothing wrong with leaving a little in the tank. Psych wise its way more beneficial. If you hit a 10lb PR and its hard and then try for a 20lb PR and fail its easy to get caught up in the failure and not the previous success. Then that negativity carries on throughout the rest of your session.

Train for success.

If there are typos its be cause I'm on mobile phone.
This^^^^^
Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
Jim O'Brien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Hood View Post
You are wrong. I don't know where you got that misinformation but it's not true. You should always leave a little in the tank when training. The ONLY time you would miss a lift is in competition and that's even frowned upon by Westside, but it happens. You should hit all lifts successfully. Louie, if you've ever heard him speak, is anti-missing lifts. Period. M/E days should be about 92, 94 and 98% of 1RM.
I have spoken with Lou in person and on the phone several times. I have gone to Westside to get some help with my training and these are the things he told me. I will admit that things may have changed as Lou is always looking at other options.

As far as your suggestions for percentages on ME day, I do not agree that it is 92, 94 and 98%. For one thing, you are TRYING for a new max. Common sense would tell you that a max is 100% and a new max would have to be OVER 100% of your previous max. The only time percentages are used on ME day is that there should be 3-5 lifts over 90%.

I will admit that my exposure to Westside is in regards to powerlifting and there may be other recommendations for crossfit. Being very new to the whole crossfit thing, I am the first to admit that my knowledge is lacking. When it comes to powerlifting however, I believe I am correct.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Currently I've been going 55-65% on bench and press and 70-80% on squats and pulls. Any thoughts?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
Kane Greene

Profile:

Alex for straight weight I would say wave 70,75,80% or 75,80,85%. Remember those are just guidelines though. It needs to be fast. I've had people go as low as 50-60% because even at 70% the speed wasn't there.

Bench with straight weight I used to stick between 65-75%. But the bench is my worst lift and I always struggled to hit the speed I should. A tip I got from Laura for a #2 exercise when she was here was to follow DE bench with a close grip 8rm. Each week bump up 2.5-5lbs. Then when you can't progress anymore hit 5rm med grip. At failure with that go back to 8s with wide grip and keep bumping up. When moving from one grip to the next use the weight you were at the previous week. This reeeally helped bring my bench along.

Jim didn't mean to be negative towards you. Maybe Lou thought your weakness was mental and you needed to learn how to strain. But from everything I've read from him its best to leave some in tank and just focus on the PR. Shane and Laura taught same thing. Even with things like box jumps. Even if its an easy PR walk away. Keeps the athlete motivated and hungry for the next time that exercise variation comes around.

Sorry to hijack your thread Alex. Go through all the westside articles. I believe its covered somewhere. As a raw lifter I used to like to also do 3 week waves with no box straight weight as well.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
Jim O'Brien

Profile:

Hey guys and most of all Alex. I didn't intend to cause a fuss. In my attempt to help I put out a lot of info that wasn't really answering the question. While I stick by what I said, I will add that the westside template has evolved into a lot more complex program than when I was doing it. Things were a bit more simplified then...dynamic meant speed and max effort meant MAX EFFORT...going until you miss. Some lifters need more grinding strength which is what I needed at the time and that meant working up to an attempt that was above what I was capable of at the time an learning to exert force even thought I couldn't make the lift.

Anyway, just lift fast on DE days and heavy(really heavy) on ME days and rotate your lifts on the ME movements.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #16
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane Greene View Post
Alex for straight weight I would say wave 70,75,80% or 75,80,85%. Remember those are just guidelines though. It needs to be fast. I've had people go as low as 50-60% because even at 70% the speed wasn't there.

Bench with straight weight I used to stick between 65-75%. But the bench is my worst lift and I always struggled to hit the speed I should. A tip I got from Laura for a #2 exercise when she was here was to follow DE bench with a close grip 8rm. Each week bump up 2.5-5lbs. Then when you can't progress anymore hit 5rm med grip. At failure with that go back to 8s with wide grip and keep bumping up. When moving from one grip to the next use the weight you were at the previous week. This reeeally helped bring my bench along.

Jim didn't mean to be negative towards you. Maybe Lou thought your weakness was mental and you needed to learn how to strain. But from everything I've read from him its best to leave some in tank and just focus on the PR. Shane and Laura taught same thing. Even with things like box jumps. Even if its an easy PR walk away. Keeps the athlete motivated and hungry for the next time that exercise variation comes around.

Sorry to hijack your thread Alex. Go through all the westside articles. I believe its covered somewhere. As a raw lifter I used to like to also do 3 week waves with no box straight weight as well.
Thanks for the input, I'll try the percentages out. Don't worry about the thread, it's no big deal.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #17
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O'Brien View Post
Hey guys and most of all Alex. I didn't intend to cause a fuss. In my attempt to help I put out a lot of info that wasn't really answering the question. While I stick by what I said, I will add that the westside template has evolved into a lot more complex program than when I was doing it. Things were a bit more simplified then...dynamic meant speed and max effort meant MAX EFFORT...going until you miss. Some lifters need more grinding strength which is what I needed at the time and that meant working up to an attempt that was above what I was capable of at the time an learning to exert force even thought I couldn't make the lift.

Anyway, just lift fast on DE days and heavy(really heavy) on ME days and rotate your lifts on the ME movements.
No worries. Thanks for the tips, are DE lifts rotated as well?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #18
Andrew Bell

Profile:

The chart below is the easy way to sort out the % debate. It is the same information that Louie used to devise his system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	12878  
Old 09-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Alright so I found some percentages I like without accommodating resistance on all my lifts.

Week 1: 60% - 8 triples OTM
Week 2: 65% - 6 doubles OTM
Week 3: 70% - 5 doubles OTM
Old 09-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Chaney View Post
Alright so I found some percentages I like without accommodating resistance on all my lifts.

Week 1: 60% - 8 triples OTM
Week 2: 65% - 6 doubles OTM
Week 3: 70% - 5 doubles OTM
Thats pretty close to the chart I listed above but I think youre leaving a more on the table that needed in the 65% and 70% rep schemes.