CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Patrick Skinner

Profile:
Shoulder/Trap issue when jerking. No pain when pressing or pulling.

I've had some strange pain the last few times I have went to do jerks following snatches. I worked up to a 1RM in the Snatch and then go over to the CJ. When I start to jerk weights that should be warm-up weights I get pain in my shoulder area almost right on top of my left trap. It feels almost like fatigued but I can't support any decent weight overhead because it's painful and feels like it is going to give out.

Strict press, thruster, bench press pull-ups etc.,don't bother it. Just seems to be jerks.

It just feels very inflamed and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for things I might do to fix this as I haven't been able to CJ weights that months ago were warm-up weights.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Shoulder/Trap issue when jerking. No pain when pressing or pulling.

all links wfs

If you want a real diagnosis, see an orthopedic doc.

If you want a guess by myself, we can do that..

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts. For the computer illiterate (use MS paint to mark it, and imgur.com to upload). Tell me what tissue(s) it feels like it's hurting in, or if it's more superficial or deep in the joint?

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion (you moving the leg without it moving itself) and resistive/active motion (you moving it, and you moving it against force). Also tell me when and what movements during these exercises are eliciting the pain?
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~8+ weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

7. What have you been doing for recovery purposes? Do these recovery methods help?

8. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?

9. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

10. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?

11. Any previous injury history?

12. How's your posture?

13. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?

14. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
Old 04-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Patrick Skinner

Profile:

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts. For the computer illiterate (use MS paint to mark it, and imgur.com to upload). Tell me what tissue(s) it feels like it's hurting in, or if it's more superficial or deep in the joint?

computer illiterate: hurts in the muscles. Appears to be in traps,anterior deltoid and pec major.

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion (you moving the leg without it moving itself) and resistive/active motion (you moving it, and you moving it against force). Also tell me when and what movements during these exercises are eliciting the pain?
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

only Push Jerks hurt. presses feel fine. Abduction at the very end range of motion hurts.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
ache pain.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.

pain is 1 outside of doing push jerks and then pain can be anywhere from 5-6 but I have to stop doing jerks.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~8+ weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?

Have only noticed in last couple weeks as I have increased pressing volume. Thinking of it though I have had greater difficulty than normal with jerks for awhile and may have cut a workout or two short.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

yes , only a couple weeks since I really noticed it.

7. What have you been doing for recovery purposes? Do these recovery methods help?

nothing to this point as the acheness is usually gone with a day of rest.

8. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?

push jerks make it bad. completely resting any pressing makes it better. it is not constant. slight acheyness for a short period after but nothing painful.

9. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
nothing tight. no visible swelling

10. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?

feels fine after anything but jerks. feels fine at beginning and end of day.

11. Any previous injury history?
no

12. How's your posture?

good

13. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?

high pressing and jerking volume currently.

14. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
none

Thanks for the opinion.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Hmmm, can't tell much.

Could be multiple things though.

My guess would likely be some sort of supraspinatus tendinopathy and/or maybe long head of the biceps

I would suggest resting, and doing more non-painful mobility work.

Focus in on the t-spine mobility, and stretching out your lats, pecs especially pec minor, and strengthening your low trap as well (look up some LYTPs) and see if that helps
Old 04-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Patrick Skinner

Profile:

Thanks for the reply Steven. A PT came to our gym today and did some work on me and loosened it up to the point that jerking did not cause it pain. He gave me a series of mobility movements to practice daily and advised pain was most likely due to extreme tightness in T-spine.

So the t-spine advice was spot on. I'll be spending time mobilizing that for awhile and will try and report back.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
Patrick Skinner

Profile:

Shoulder pain was lingering so I saw an ortho and then set up some PT sessions. PT diagnosed "shoulder impingement." Gave some mobility type drills to open the tight areas and advised to do some rotator cuff work.

Are the LYTP's still exercises I should be utilizing to strengthen? The PT only gave me a couple mobility and strength exercises.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Skinner View Post
Shoulder pain was lingering so I saw an ortho and then set up some PT sessions. PT diagnosed "shoulder impingement." Gave some mobility type drills to open the tight areas and advised to do some rotator cuff work.

Are the LYTP's still exercises I should be utilizing to strengthen? The PT only gave me a couple mobility and strength exercises.
That would be something to ask your PT.

Generally, yes, but it depends on the type of shoulder impingement.