CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
Gregory William Van Giezen

Profile:
This has most likely been asked to death, but is there a huge difference between the two squats? The reason I ask is that I have a home gym in the spare bedroom without a squat rack, and getting the barbell to the front rack is easiest to do for me. I am trying to improve my pistols, so I thought deep squats would help. Will front squats do the trick, or should I put my building shoes on?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
I understand that they're considered very different, but I don't know why either. I'd like to hear a good explanation.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
I'm not an expert, but there is a significant difference. In the front squat, the weight is obviously racked on the front of the shoulders. This requires a very erect torso to prevent dumping the weight and to keep the weight in the frontal plane (an imaginary plane through the body around which the body weight and load must remain balanced). The front squat is a skill transfer exercise for the clean.

In contrast, the back squat has the bar trapped against the upper back and lower on the torso, so that the moment about the lower back is less for a given angle of torso to floor. Most people can lift significantly higher loads with back squats, placing greater overall stress on the body. Back squats also seem to work the posterior chain (esp hamstrings) more effectively.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:20 AM   #4
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
A high bar narrow stance Olympic style back squat is very similar to a front squat. A low bar Power style back squat is very different. The latter style will allow you to utilize much more weight than a FS.

However if you're doing heavy FS with a full range of motion you'll be getting most of the benefit. With full ROM your hamstrings will be worked. If there not cleans and deads will take of them.

Plus if your working out alone the FS is safer as it's easier to dump the bar.

Ger
Old 06-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I had a hard time front squating when I first took it up. Now I'm almost equally strong in both forms. PR back squat is 115 kilos and PR in front squat is 105 kilos.

Front squatting and pistols is a great combo and utterly sufficient.

(Message edited by gormus on June 22, 2007)