CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Bj vs. Hughes III

I'm not really sure we need to see this again, but, were going to. Since Matt thinks he's now a stand up fighter this fight could be a solid stand up battle.

Bj takes this via decision.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
James Besenyei

Profile:
Re: Bj vs. Hughes III

Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
John Stone

Profile:

Matt Hughes certainly won't want this to go to the ground though.

I'd normally say BJ Penn by TKO / Submission here, but he has been slacking hard in his fitness training for the last 8+ months. He even had the gall to say something along the lines of "I was in too good of shape physically last time, now I am just focussing on the mental aspects" before his last fight (in which he showed up soft-looking, and got dominated).

It's too bad -- when he has been motivated and come to fight in peak condition, he was been unstoppable. But I think we're back to the same old lazy Penn -- the front-runner who either wins in the first round, or gasses out and quits.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 AM   #4
Andrew Burry

Profile:

Matt Hughes takes this easily. BJ can't compete in the welterweight division, he lacked the physical strength and conditioning required to hold on to his lightweight title. Frankie Edgar could fight bantamweight! Then again, so could BJ if he went for a jog and laid off the fish'n'chips.

Hughes, Round 2 TKO, tapout due to punches.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Burry View Post
Matt Hughes takes this easily. BJ can't compete in the welterweight division, he lacked the physical strength and conditioning required to hold on to his lightweight title. Frankie Edgar could fight bantamweight! Then again, so could BJ if he went for a jog and laid off the fish'n'chips.

Hughes, Round 2 TKO, tapout due to punches.
Being that Bj already beat him once and Matt be Bj once, neither one of these guys is taking this fight easily. Also, we no eat fish & chips in Hawaii. Nice try though.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:05 AM   #6
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

I am actually looking forward to this fight.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

I don't know what to think of BJ. Watching his last fight I was struck by the way he was just a machine. He couldn't be hurt, he couldn't be submitted, he just never stopped coming. I especially liked watching him defend against the strikes. Punches coming in to the face and he didn't even blink. Staring fixedly at Edgar the whole time as he warded off blow after blow.

But he didn't DO anything. Persistently advancing isn't enough. He never went after Edgar! I kept just thinking "why isn't he attacking?" It just didn't look like he wanted to win that badly.

Does BJ not have the real desire to do this anymore? Am I misjudging the whole thing?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Does BJ not have the real desire to do this anymore? Am I misjudging the whole thing?
That's what I was noticing -- he just isn't/wasn't motivated. He stopped training properly months ago, and inside the octagon he didn't look like he cared one way or another about winning.

So can he beat Hughes? Sure, he crushed Hughes in both fights (only lost the one fight after he gassed out, but he had been dominating until then) -- so in terms of talent, he completely outclasses Hughes. But heart, motivation, dedication, endurance? Hughes always brings those -- Penn on the other hand is like the Tin Man ... sometimes he just doesn't have heart.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
I don't know what to think of BJ. Watching his last fight I was struck by the way he was just a machine. He couldn't be hurt, he couldn't be submitted, he just never stopped coming. I especially liked watching him defend against the strikes. Punches coming in to the face and he didn't even blink. Staring fixedly at Edgar the whole time as he warded off blow after blow.

But he didn't DO anything. Persistently advancing isn't enough. He never went after Edgar! I kept just thinking "why isn't he attacking?" It just didn't look like he wanted to win that badly.

That's because Edgar doesn't punch hard enough to hurt him. BJ wasn't on fire, because he's finicky. When he wants it and works for it, no one can stop him in his weight class. Few can stop him in Hughes' weight class.

If the best BJ comes, Hughes should lose. He only one the time he did because BJ separated a bunch of his ribs in the previous round. If BJ inhales a bit too much green instead of training the way he ought to, well...
Old 09-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:

But he didn't DO anything. Persistently advancing isn't enough. He never went after Edgar! I kept just thinking "why isn't he attacking?"
Exactly! If a guy can't hurt you with his strikes what do you have to lose by wading into them? Weird and frustrating.